Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a text today from "Eircom" saying my "eircom account usage is quite high"?

Options
  • 03-08-2016 12:04pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a text message from "Eircom" (first flag, given a recent name change...) saying "We've noticed that your eircom account usage is quite high. To avoid interuption of your eircom services, please contact us to make an advance payment".

Now, I've got an unlimited efibre account, and it's direct debit. Never had a message like this one before so thought I'd clarify it with yourselves. I can send account details to someone if you guys want? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a text message from "Eircom" (first flag, given a recent name change...) saying "We've noticed that your eircom account usage is quite high. To avoid interuption of your eircom services, please contact us to make an advance payment".

Now, I've got an unlimited efibre account, and it's direct debit. Never had a message like this one before so thought I'd clarify it with yourselves. I can send account details to someone if you guys want? 
    Hi Lord TSC,

Thank you for getting in touch with us :) I am very sorry to hear you have received this text :(

Can you DM me your account number please and I will check this out for you? 

-Ciara

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hi again,

I sent my details a few days back, as well as a follow up DM, and still have yet to receive any reply! Has any progress been made on this matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Hi again,

I sent my details a few days back, as well as a follow up DM, and still have yet to receive any reply! Has any progress been made on this matter?
    A friend got a similar text/email a few days ago, appears to be a phishing mail as the return address is odd and link provided does not seem to corrospond to irish email box.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have had several of those(from Eircom), which did coincide with high usage. There was no reply or contact on the email but I also pay dd and unlimited, and have never had issues with my bill. I thought it was phishing but there is no way to reply, so I assume it is legit but eir have sent them out in error. I just ignored it.

Still no reply, nearly two weeks on from the original inquiry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 dankazlauskas

Check your outstanding balance on my eir website. I got these texts too, turns out here is a fair usage policy of a 1000gb upload/download combined and my account exceeded it. They only send you a text at the end of the months. Mine came from Eircom and not Eir, I thought it was a scam and ignored it. Tried to dispute the charge with 3 different Eir representatives yesterday, they want this 142 euro!!! for the month for unlimited fibre, was meant to be 45 :(. I ordered broadband over the phone and was told it's unlimited. The bill is not even due yet but they switched off my internet already it seems as it's not working since last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Check your outstanding balance on my eir website. I got these texts too, turns out here is a fair usage policy of a 1000gb upload/download combined and my account exceeded it. They only send you a text at the end of the months. Mine came from Eircom and not Eir, I thought it was a scam and ignored it. Tried to dispute the charge with 3 different Eir representatives yesterday, they want this 142 euro!!! for the month for unlimited fibre, was meant to be 45 :(. I ordered broadband over the phone and was told it's unlimited. The bill is not even due yet but they switched off my internet already it seems as it's not working since last night.
    http://support.eir.ie/article/broadband_excess_usage

I wish they'd let us know about these changes in writing. That's a pretty heavy fine for going over the limit. The last time I checked for a fair usage policy it said that it had been removed and after reading your post I checked and came across the link above. I don't mind a fair usage policy with a warning system in place but the extra charge is too much. It seems like Vodafone have the same policy in place. I can't find much information on Sky but a representative did say that their broadband is truly unlimited (though I take that with a pinch of salt). I suspect they have something similar in place too but the only mention of a charge on their site is €10 for going over a limit. 

I don't find 1tb to be a particularly huge allowance these days, especially in a family home. Very disappointed to see this.

I have filed a complaint to have the matter raised with a eir care team Leader as per eir's own  Code of Practice, which you have to do before you go to ComReg, I will go there next and also Advertising Standards Authority. I have told eir advisor on the phone today I do not give my consent for my contact details to be passed on to third parties i.e. debt collection agencies in the future,  I was told by him they have the right to do so and they will. I offered to pay 45 that will be due by 29th and continue paying 45 every month to follow till my contract is over, but they refuse to switch the service back on until they get at least 72, which I can't pay out of principle as it is an unfair charge. As a customer I feel tricked, cheated and bullied. This is so much stress I can see most people paying up, and that is what they count on. What I cannot understand is why would they loose the possibility of future business from me, my family members and any person ever to ask me about a decent internet provider I'd recommend in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

As peoples speeds get faster and faster, a family with teenagers will burn through that 1TB FUP.

I would write to ComReg and the Minister for Communications and ask that eir be removed or disallowed from bidding for the NBP, and point out that they would seem not to be able to supply families all they need in regards Broadband needs.

I know my teenage son bought some games from steam last week, they need to be downloaded, and I could not believe how big they were.
    Some days later he builds himself a new gaming PC, and all his library of games would need to be downloaded again.  

If eir can not keep up with this fast changing world, I do not feel they are ready to be bidding for our NBP ..  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Still no reply, nearly two weeks on from the original inquiry :(
    Hi Lord TSC,

Apologies for the delay. Ciara has advised me she got back to you via PM.

-Pamela 

• Advertisement

Thanks, thats brilliant :)

satguy wrote: »
    As peoples speeds get faster and faster, a family with teenagers will burn through that 1TB FUP.

I would write to ComReg and the Minister for Communications and ask that eir be removed or disallowed from bidding for the NBP, and point out that they would seem not to be able to supply families all they need in regards Broadband needs.

I know my teenage son bought some games from steam last week, they need to be downloaded, and I could not believe how big they were.
    Some days later he builds himself a new gaming PC, and all his library of games would need to be downloaded again.  

If eir can not keep up with this fast changing world, I do not feel they are ready to be bidding for our NBP ..  
    What pushed me over their limit was changing could storage providers, syncing all down and back up into the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Dear lord this is ridiculous . I'm in 6 Mb ( at best)broadband and can easily go Over 150 Gb a month. I can only imagine what efibre users would use . 
    On 6 mb streaming YouTube and Netflix is the most I can draw down. There is no tv or movie streaming due to slow speeds. 
    Well done eir .

Hi Guys,

You can view further information on the fair usage policy in our terms and conditions here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf

-Pamela 

Thanks, thats brilliant :)
    No problem at all  Lord TSC,

-Pamela 

Advertisement