Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad's getting a bike (finally!)

Options
  • 03-08-2016 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

So my dad has finally caved and is going to buy his first road bike. He's been on a hybrid up until now and wants something for sportives etc.

He's been with cyclesuperstore and they've shown him these

Cannondale:-
    Super 6 evo, Shimano 105 €2099
    Super 6 evoTiagra @ €1299
    Super 6 evo ultegra @ €1899

Lapierre
    Sensium 500 Shimano 105 @€;1571

He has a C2W - he was told the Evo is more Racer than Leisure?

Is it an out and out racer??The Ultegra seems like the best deal going..

Also - is it possible to do Canyon on C2W - my own preference would be that he's look at an Endurance if he can et it on the scheme

Thanks,

ILF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Also - is it possible to do Canyon on C2W - my own preference would be that he's look at an Endurance if he can et it on the scheme

Yes they are Irish vat registered afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks,

ILF

Looks strange that the Ultegra is cheaper than the 105? Is that right? If so I'd go with that.

The Canyon look like a nice option. Haven't tried one myself but very tempted by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Looks strange that the Ultegra is cheaper than the 105? Is that right? If so I'd go with that.

The Canyon look like a nice option. Haven't tried one myself but very tempted by one.
    As you say, it seems odd, but it looks to be legit at the moment: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/search_b.asp?s_and=1&s_keyw=cannondale+evo
    ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

So my dad has finally caved and is going to buy his first road bike. He's been on a hybrid up until now and wants something for sportives etc.

He's been with cyclesuperstore and they've shown him these

Lapierre
    Sensium 500 Shimano 105 @€;1571

He has a C2W - he was told the Evo is more Racer than Leisure?

Is it an out and out racer??The Ultegra seems like the best deal going..
    I have to say, I'm a little confused by those two being suggested to him, as it's not really comparing like with like as far as I know about each of those brands and ranges. You're correct about the Evo anyway, the Sensium as a more relaxed geometry, and indeed Lapierre market it as endurance rather than out and out race, and so it would be more competing with the Cannondale Synapse range than the SuperSix, which is definitely more of a race bike, and probably meant to compete with the Xelius range from Lapierre.

Thanks,

ILF

All up to the employer really, if they are willing to buy from them then as mentioned Canyon are registered for VAT in Ireland, so it's straightforward. And the Canyon Endurace is quite a comfortable bike, but no slouch either, having one with 105 myself. Again, that would be more comparable to the Sensium and Cannondale Synapse (options I had been considering myself), with the Ultimate CF/CF SLX being rivals for the SuperSix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Generally Cannondale Synapse for leasure and Evo for racing.

Be mindful of Canyon delivery times. He could be waiting weeks or months before delivery. Then theres some basic setup required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

The reason the ultegra is cheaper then the 105 is they are on clearance and only have Medium left..

Either way he should go for a more relaxed set up, maybe a Giant or Trek Domaine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Thanks folks - I would imagine a more relaxed geometry would serve him better - as a Canyon head myself I'd like to see him go for the endurance - they might have em ready to go..and I'll get him to check if his work will admin it for him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd be grabbing that ultegra evo 6 if it fits, before someone else does!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

The Evo 6 is a lovely bike - I'm no racer, but really like mine. I've done a few week-long credit-card tours on it, and haven't felt that it's hard going. And the price is pretty good, I must say.

If seriously considering the German mail-order route, don't neglect Rose - the bikes are as good as Canyons, and similarly inexpensive for what you get - and seem to have better stock control. No doubt there are exceptions - but I got one in about 2 weeks, as promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

doesn't look like his employer is going to go with the online dealers - going to look around - some good sales in all shops by the looks of things - the cannondale is too big for him as far as i can tell - measured him up and hes a small.

Advertisement