Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Won't Turn On - No Light, No Beep

Options
  • 03-08-2016 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there folks,

I would appreciate any input into this you may have, so thank you in advance!
    I have a rough idea of what might be the problem, but if anyone had this problem before and would like to shed some light on the issue from their own experience that would be invaluable to me.

I've had this particular PS4 since mid-2014 (I have another "primary"/"master" PS4), and therefore I am about a year out of warranty at this stage. I've never had any major issues with this PS4 before this apart from the well documented disk eject issues and constant beeping because of it, but that was fixed quite easily by simply cutting off a portion of the rubber foot at the bottom of the console, and doing other recommended procedures for that issue. That was about 3 months ago now and it hadn't given me a problem since.

Last weekend at my home place, everything was working fine, as normal. I wanted to bring over the entire file system from my primary PS4 to the secondary PS4, so I initialised the PS4 in question to give it a clean slate, but didn't have time to turn it back on and restore the backup as I had to go back to Dublin; where I live during the week for work.

So last night, after work, I hooked connected everything up - AC plug to socket, HDMI, ethernet cable to my modem, USB to DualShock 4 - switched on the TV, went to turn on my PS4 via the power button/sensor on the console and..... Nothing... Nothing on the TV, no blue or white light, no beep... Nothing at all.

I was baffled, it was working perfectly on Monday back home. What could have happened?
    I did what anyone else in my situation would do; I Google'd the problem. What came up as the potential source of the problem was pretty much what I expected, a power issue of some sorts. So I tried a couple of different things to remedy a potential power problem:
    • I tried plugging the PS4 into different outlets within the flat with no luck. I'd had outlet issues in this accommodation before, but my TV, PS3, Android TV box and modem have all worked on those particular outlets with no trouble, so the PS4 should be the same, you'd imagine...
    • One suggestion on the interwebz stated that I should try a different AC power plug, but I don't exactly have those things lying around handy, so I'll have to wait until I'm home to try it with the plug from my primary PS4. I'm getting my hopes high on that particular solution, maybe a bit too high though.
    • This particular PS4 has been opened up previously for cleaning - an attempt to fix my aforementioned eject issues before coming to a more simple solution - so I have no qualms about opening up my PS4 again, my warranty stickers are already gone and it's out of warranty anyway. So in this case, I decided to open it up as far as accessing the power supply unit, so not too far for those who know the PS4's inner workings. I did this to see if everything was connected as it should, namely the 5-pin connector to the motherboard, and it was. Didn't look into the console any further.

From this, I imagine this is either a problem with the power supply unit itself or the plug (which has yet to be tested). If it happened to be the former, would there be any way that I could send this back to Sony for repair without being slapped with a 150 repair bill?
    If there wasn't I could just sort out replacement parts myself, but at that, I would be taking a risk on those being the problems, and if I'm wrong I'd be out more money.

This is where you come in!

Do you have any input on what the issue might be and how to go about getting it sorted? Have you experienced any similar trouble yourself? Will Sony throw me a bone in terms of its repair?

ANY help at all, as I said, would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I neglected to mention I transported the console back to Dublin in the boot of my car (~80 minute drive). It was tightly packed up in the original PS4 boxing, but could being moved around a bit potentially knock a small part inside the PS4 out of place? I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when I briefly opened it up, but I don't know for certain.
    Again, any help would be amazing!

TL;RD:
    PS4 won't turn on, at all. Out of warranty. Think it's a power supply/cable issue, but don't know for certain. Any input or experiences of same/similar problems? HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

First thing id try is a different power cable,could be the fuse is gone in the one you have.. hopefully its that.. coz otherwise you are looking at the powersupply..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PSproblem

bigphil2 wrote: »
    First thing id try is a different power cable,could be the fuse is gone in the one you have.. hopefully its that.. coz otherwise you are looking at the powersupply..
    Thanks for the reply.

Sounds about right, was thinking along those lines. Just hope, if it is the power supply, that my replacement model is on the cheaper end of the spectrum; the prices seem to vary significantly depending on the model.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

PSproblem wrote: »

went to turn on my PS4 via the power button/sensor on the console and..... Nothing... Nothing on the TV, no blue or white light, no beep... Nothing at all.

No mention of trying to turn on the console using your controller - Maybe the power button is damaged and is not functioning properly.

Do you have a similar power cable to hand to test if plug is the issue?
    A neighbour may have one perhaps.

F1ngers wrote: »
    No mention of trying to turn on the console using your controller - Maybe the power button is damaged and is not functioning properly.

Do you have a similar power cable to hand to test if plug is the issue?
    A neighbour may have one perhaps.
    That's a good shout, silly of me not to try that in the first place. Thanks! My only concern is that seeing as the console was only just newly initialised, it may not recognise the controller when it's trying to turn it on. I'll give it a go with the USB cable plugged in anyway.

The PS3 cable was pretty similar to the PS4's AC power cable, so I tried inserting that last night but it didn't fit. Nothing else similar to it otherwise though. Don't think the near neighbours have a PS4 either.
    I was thinking of swapping in a working fuse into the plug tonight and see if there's much joy with that.

Unfortunately none of the above worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I would say contact www.consolerepairs.ie in Bray,
    Out of warranty hardware problem.

Ed's 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Have you checked to see if the metal power pin is fully connecting and touching the motherboard power circuit ? Sometimes when the cover is removed for internal cleaning, the metal power pin does not connect to the circuit as it gets pushed up away from it.

Have a look under the top right middle of the chassis and bend the metal pin down a small bit and then try to power it on, you might need to do this a few times to get the pin to seat itself tightly to the motherboard power circuit.

That little gold circuit in the middle is the one so the metal pin under the chassis needs to be pulled down so it connects to it, that might be your problem. Or you can hold your finger on the gold circuit and see if it powers on as a test with the chassis removed.

@eddhourse: Cheers for the shout, could definitely be an option. I will give them a call today and see if I can get a quote and it'll be something to fall face on. I'd like to have a go at fixing the problem myself first though.

@Bongalongherb: That was a brilliant suggestion, gave it a go last night but unfortunately it didn't work out. At least we get to narrow down the potential problems with the PS4, so thank you!
    I think it's becoming increasingly likely that the power supply unit within the PS4 is the source of the problem, but I won't jump on that as a potential solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I had exact same problem happen to me 2 weeks ago. Went to turn it on and nothing. Took it to a place and they had to replace the power unit. Costing me €95 but finally getting it back today.

I also had the eject button problem only few months ago so these seem like fairly common problems for the ps4.

Pretty annoying considering I had a ps3 for 6/7 years and not a hiccup out of it and now 2 issues only months apart with this.

I had exact same problem happen to me 2 weeks ago. Went to turn it on and nothing. Took it to a place and they had to replace the power unit. Costing me 95 but finally getting it back today.

I also had the eject button problem only few months ago so these seem like fairly common problems for the ps4.

Pretty annoying considering I had a ps3 for 6/7 years and not a hiccup out of it and now 2 issues only months apart with this.
    Jaysus, I may as well have an exact copy of your PS4 by the sounds of things, at least you'll get it back today. Hope it's all up and running for you now and it doesn't give you any other problems in the future.

I might just risk it and bring in a replacement battery myself. Saw one online for 30 + 3.50 delivery to Ireland. They've a 28 day returns policy so if the PSU ends up not being the problem at least I'll only be down the cost of delivery.

• Advertisement

Before you purchase a new power supply for the ps4, have a look at the power supply units internal fuse to see if it has blown as it will save you cash if it is only the internal fuse, a pic below of the fuse and it is right beside the power connector. Use a magnifying glass to see if the wire inside the fuse is broken, if it is then all you need is a new special 230/250 volt fuse. It will say the voltage on the fuse just to be sure.

I'd doubt the psu is damaged, I'd say more than likely it would be the fuse that has blown.

Make sure you disconnect all power to the psu before going near the power supply unit of the ps4. Give the psu 20 minutes to dissipate any left-over charge.

Also, the fuse might be soldered to the circuit board thus making it more difficult to replace as you would have to un-solder the fuse to remove it and re-solder a new one in place.

r00320010725vgl01_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

I had exact same problem happen to me 2 weeks ago. Went to turn it on and nothing. Took it to a place and they had to replace the power unit. Costing me €95 but finally getting it back today.

The eject button is only on certain versions and I have that issue. If you look closely, the bottom of the button cups around the bottom of the PS4. So in the middle of a game, it will eject the disc as it touches the ground/table. To fix this, either turn it on its side or do as I did and put 2 HB pencils (hex shape not round !) either side underneath and it just lifts the PS4 enough to prevent the problem happening. Been like that for 4 months now with no reoccurrence and the pencils cannot be seen so it doesn't look naff.

@Bongalongherb

Sorry for only replying now, was away all weekend, but I did get a chance to look at this on Thursday, so thanks again for another great and helpful suggestion!

I opened up the power supply and saw the fuse in question, unfortunately I couldn't see any wire as there the fuse's case was not clear glass, so I can't say with any great certainty whether that is the issue or not. Also, the fuse was flanked by two metal connectors connecting it with the rest of the power supply. I don't this there was a way of disconnecting the fuse without the possibility of breaking one of these.
    That said, I do have a replacement fuse handy, and I think I will give a go at replacing it tomorrow as I really have nothing to lose on this.

Other than the fuse, the rest of the PSU didn't look to have any deterioration or other possible issues, although I didn't really know what I was looking at exactly.

I'll let the thread know how I get on tomorrow in any event. Cheers again!

@Bongalongherb

Sorry for only replying now, was away all weekend, but I did get a chance to look at this on Thursday, so thanks again for another great and helpful suggestion!

I opened up the power supply and saw the fuse in question, unfortunately I couldn't see any wire as there the fuse's case was not clear glass, so I can't say with any great certainty whether that is the issue or not. Also, the fuse was flanked by two metal connectors connecting it with the rest of the power supply. I don't this there was a way of disconnecting the fuse without the possibility of breaking one of these.
    That said, I do have a replacement fuse handy, and I think I will give a go at replacing it tomorrow as I really have nothing to lose on this.

Other than the fuse, the rest of the PSU didn't look to have any deterioration or other possible issues, although I didn't really know what I was looking at exactly.

I'll let the thread know how I get on tomorrow in any event. Cheers again!

If you unsolder the two pins of the fuse on the circuit board and pop it out, have a close look with a magnifying glass on the rims of the fuse to see its voltage and amps, make sure the other fuse is the same voltage, it has to be the exact voltage. Why sony decided to solder the fuse to the board is beyond me, they sure want to make it more difficult to self repair their systems. It's a shame you cannot see the wire in the fuse, cause that would save you having to unsolder it if the wire is not broken.

If you do manage to replace the fuse, also make sure that all connections in the ps4 are connected and tight.

If you do go to replace the fuse, just a reminder to be careful, as all power supply capacitors store a large charge (e.g. the two big 450v caps) and can cause damage/harm to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Whatever you do, make sure the replacement fuse you're fitting has the same rating as the original fuse...any lower, & it could blow again, any higher, and it's downright dangerous.

Fuses tend to go for a reason further up the circuit, I'd be surprised if it was as simple as dropping a new fuse in.

If you unsolder the two pins of the fuse on the circuit board and pop it out, have a close look with a magnifying glass on the rims of the fuse to see its voltage and amps, make sure the other fuse is the same voltage, it has to be the exact voltage. Why sony decided to solder the fuse to the board is beyond me, they sure want to make it more difficult to self repair their systems. It's a shame you cannot see the wire in the fuse, cause that would save you having to unsolder it if the wire is not broken.

If you do manage to replace the fuse, also make sure that all connections in the ps4 are connected and tight.

If you do go to replace the fuse, just a reminder to be careful, as all power supply capacitors store a large charge (e.g. the two big 450v caps) and can cause damage/harm to you.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Whatever you do, make sure the replacement fuse you're fitting has the same rating as the original fuse...any lower, & it could blow again, any higher, and it's downright dangerous.

Fuses tend to go for a reason further up the circuit, I'd be surprised if it was as simple as dropping a new fuse in.

Thanks for all the advice lads.

I think I'm going to stall on replacing the fuse for the time being. It would be much cheaper than replacing the PSU entirely, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle on end. At the same time, replacing the whole CPU is still a more cover-all solution than swapping out fuses, and less expensive than paying for external repair or buying a new PS4 entirely.

Myrddin wrote: »

You are correct, a fuse will usually blow if there is a problem with another circuit on the board. The only other time the internal fuse would blow is if the system received a power surge or with a faulty power socket. It is messy to replace the fuse and would be better to purchase a new PSU.

Apologies for the late update, but I got my PSU in about 2 weeks ago from replacebase.co.uk. It came in about 2-3 working days after making my order and it cost me ~€38, which was decent enough value all things considered.

I could tell the PSU was used as the matte surface had loads of scratches on it, but I wasn't really expecting a new one as Sony (or the PSU's manufacturer) don't actually release those as a separate part.
    This could've caused some reason for concern, but I fitted it into the PS4 straight after work on the day I got it and pumped my fist into the air after I heard a beep come from the when I touched the power sensor. I pressed it again and it turned on fully without incident this time around. It's now working pretty much perfectly, delighted with my relatively cheap fix. :)

There's one niggling issue still, albeit very minor. If I fully power off the PS4, I am not able to turn on the console via the Dual Shock 4, nor HDMI link. I have to touch the power sensor on the console, it beeps once without doing anything, then when I press it again it turns on without a bother, all system memory and clock still intact.
    It's slightly annoying, and it could affect its resale if I wanted to upgrade to the new Slim model or the Neo in the future, but it's totally livable and I'm just happy to have it back up and running.

Thanks again for all the help folks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Apologies for the late update, but I got my PSU in about 2 weeks ago from replacebase.co.uk. It came in about 2-3 working days after making my order and it cost me ~€38, which was decent enough value all things considered.

I could tell the PSU was used as the matte surface had loads of scratches on it, but I wasn't really expecting a new one as Sony (or the PSU's manufacturer) don't actually release those as a separate part.
    This could've caused some reason for concern, but I fitted it into the PS4 straight after work on the day I got it and pumped my fist into the air after I heard a beep come from the when I touched the power sensor. I pressed it again and it turned on fully without incident this time around. It's now working pretty much perfectly, delighted with my relatively cheap fix. :)

There's one niggling issue still, albeit very minor. If I fully power off the PS4, I am not able to turn on the console via the Dual Shock 4, nor HDMI link. I have to touch the power sensor on the console, it beeps once without doing anything, then when I press it again it turns on without a bother, all system memory and clock still intact.
    It's slightly annoying, and it could affect its resale if I wanted to upgrade to the new Slim model or the Neo in the future, but it's totally livable and I'm just happy to have it back up and running.

Thanks again for all the help folks!

With the console off, plug you Dualshock into the usb port and power on using the controller only. It should resync then.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    With the console off, plug you Dualshock into the usb port and power on using the controller only. It should resync then.
    I believe I might have tried that before and it didn't work, but I can't say for certain. I'll give that a go later on though and post up the results here.

Given that there was an initial 'dud' beep, I was under the impression that it was maybe a much smaller power problem running across the motherboard, or potentially a resetting of the BIOS before start-up. Fingers crossed with your fix though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement