Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools in Oranmore

Options
  • 03-08-2016 2:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the questions, but can anybody tell me the story of schools in Oranmore.

Is it something like a boys school from Junior infants to 6th class and then to the calasanctius secondary school?

And same setup for girls with a girls school etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

There is two national schools in village. One is a Gael scoil and both are mixed (boys & girls). I think there is 6 feeder national schools for Calasanctius.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

There is two national schools in village. One is a Gael scoil and both are mixed (boys & girls). I think there is 6 feeder national schools for Calasanctius.

Thanks. So 2 national schools in Oranmore itself, presume these do from junior infants to 6tn class ?

Have these national schools a decent reputation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Frogscotch

The gaeilscoil is mixed. The national school is mixed for infants then boys move to a boys school for 1-6 class.

If you prefer a mixed non Irish school you have Maree NS and the Kilcolgan EDucate Together (now in Clarinbridge with a bus from Oranmore)

All these schools have good reputation but different vibes in terms of competitiveness,Irish, religion, inclusion.

Frogscotch wrote: »
    The gaeilscoil is mixed. The national school is mixed for infants then boys move to a boys school for 1-6 class.

If you prefer a mixed non Irish school you have Maree NS and the Kilcolgan EDucate Together (now in Clarinbridge with a bus from Oranmore)

All these schools have good reputation but different vibes in terms of competitiveness,Irish, religion, inclusion.

Thanks.

Are there issues with getting in to the national schools ? are they full up , waiting lists etc?

Yes as far as I know all these schools are oversubscribed.

• Advertisement

Yes as far as I know all these schools are oversubscribed.

sugar , right, thanks.

Worth phoning to ask as there may be spaces in particular classes.

Worth phoning to ask as there may be spaces in particular classes.

Thanks, presume application forms etc have to be filled out.

Can anyone tell me the name of the Irish School in Oranmore. Seems to be Gaelscoil de hIde.

The website is under construction and school is closed so cant ring them.

Does this school cater for boys AND girls from Junior infants to 6th class?

Can anyone tell me the name of the Irish School in Oranmore. Seems to be Gaelscoil de hIde.

The website is under construction and school is closed so cant ring them.

Does this school cater for boys AND girls from Junior infants to 6th class?

Yes that is the correct name and it does take boys and girls from juniors to sixth. There is a naionra for preschoolers too.

• Advertisement

Yes that is the correct name and it does take boys and girls from juniors to sixth. There is a naionra for preschoolers too.

do you know anything about the school?
    Any way to contact them? (as website is bad)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 U2sir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I thought there were three?
    A Boys School (Scoil Iósaif Naofa)
    A Girls School (Scoil Mhuire)
    Gael Scoil De hIde

Hi

Sorry to bring up old thread,

Does anyone have any general comments on the schools in Oranmore?

Are they ok etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Funthalia_Love

Hi

Sorry to bring up old thread,

Does anyone have any general comments on the schools in Oranmore?

Are they ok etc?

I think the general consensus is that they are all good. Living in Oranmore and walking amongst the students is painless - i.e. all of the schools must have a policy where the students cannot wander or hang around the village. This is important as there is a huge amount of students in a very small village.

My relatives child thrives in the Gael Scoil as he is quite musical and is very very inquisitive and fits perfectly into the ethos of that particular school.

I wouldn't swear to it but last I heard all the schools were booked ahead.

I hope this helps but perhaps yourself and your husband might visit all the schools and see what would work for your own particular household - i.e. would you rather if all your children were in the same school as it would the the one drop off and collection and they would have the same days off etc --- all that kind of stuff. Which school would suit your child better if there happened to be a choice?

thanks for reply.
    Good to hear they are decent.
    We want children in same school

Anyone else have any comments?

Advertisement