Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it me or iTunes?

Options
  • 03-08-2016 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

I used to be able to download updates to iTunes, and then they would sync over to my devices.
    Now the devices download them and then later iTunes wants to download them again.
    As I am switching to mobile broadband with a usage limit, I'd like to be able to avoid double downloads.
    Ideas please.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

JonMac wrote: »
    I used to be able to download updates to iTunes, and then they would sync over to my devices.
    Now the devices download them and then later iTunes wants to download them again.
    As I am switching to mobile broadband with a usage limit, I'd like to be able to avoid double downloads.
    Ideas please.
    Thanks.

On your iOS device, go to settings>iTunes&App Store and turn off Apps under automatic downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jelone

coool, mate, never thought it'd be so easy.

Well, I've turned off automatic updates on my iOS devices. However, after I've updated the apps on iTunes they won't sync to the devices; they are still waiting to be downloaded.
    I don't want to have to download the apps twice [actually some of them are on all 3 iOS devices!]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Afaik app syncing/transfer between iTunes and devices is gone. App data is transferred/synced but not the apps themselves. This is because iOS 9 introduced a new feature call App Slicing, which only downloads from the App Store the parts of the app needed for that device. This is to save storage space, but it means you can't use the universal app downloaded on your iPhone on your iPad like you could previously because it doesn't have all the code.

• Advertisement

Thank you. Does this mean there is no point in updating the apps within iTunes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It would seem so, which would beg the question why downloading apps via iTunes is even an option if you can't sync them with a device. Unless it's just to facilitate older devices running iOS 8 or lower.

Advertisement