Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add extra maps to Garmins existing maps

Options
  • 03-08-2016 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have a Garmin nuvi 2599LMT-D 5 which has Ireland, UK & full Europe maps with lifetime updates. It also has an 32GB Micro SD card which the system is using part of.

I got the North America Maps & it came as an img file. How do I incorporate the North America .img file to my existing setup so as I can have my existing full Europe & North America on the device at the same time?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Get an SD card
    Format to Fat32
    Create folder called Garmin
    Put your Gmapprom.img into that
    You may need to rename it as Gmapsupp.img , Gmapsupp1.img or Gmapprom1.img.

Pop it into your SD slot.

Go to settings , maps, and select which maps you want to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On most modern Garmins you can rename the .img file to whatever you want to, so you know what it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

mikeecho wrote: »
    Get an SD card
    Format to Fat32
    Create folder called Garmin
    Put your Gmapprom.img into that
    You may need to rename it as Gmapsupp.img , Gmapsupp1.img or Gmapprom1.img.

Pop it into your SD slot.

Go to settings , maps, and select which maps you want to use.

But I want to keep what's already on the Micro SD card and incorporate the North America .img file so as I have all Europe & North America on the device so I can't format it in that case.

On my last map update via Garmin Express (Europe only) it copied some files other than the Garmin folder to the Micro SD card and warned me that those files were needed for the device to run properly.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

But I want to keep what's already on the Micro SD card and incorporate the North America .img file so as I have all Europe & North America on the device so I can't format it in that case.

On my last map update via Garmin Express (Europe only) it copied some files other than the Garmin folder to the Micro SD card and warned me that those files were needed for the device to run properly.

Then put the files into the Garmin folder in the actual satnav,
    or add them to the files already in the Garmin folder on the SD card.

Or just have 2 as cards and swap them according.

I doubt you'll be driving straight from europe to the US ;)

I sent u a pm with a link to some tutorials

Advertisement