Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back-to-school costs pushing some families into debt

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Lisha wrote: »
    Yes the issue I have is with the bespoke uniforms.
    We have a new principal who is trying her hardest to change from a non crested jumper and tracksuit to crested versions. I cannot understand this fir primary school. I like to have 2 jumpers as I work and if jumper gets dirty I don't have time to wash/dry it. The extra cost caused by the crested is silly to me.

She gets a kickback from the shop. What other reason could there be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

[

she could be sleeping with the crest manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Smondie wrote: »
    she could be sleeping with the crest manufacturer

And claiming Mickey money?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I really don't think that's it.

All she will say is that it looks better when all kids are dressed in exactly the same jumper, and in exactly the same tracksuit. She seems very precise in all that she does which is great but I'm more worried about my child's level of education. Them all looking like identical little humans is of no benefit to me.

Lisha wrote: »
    I really don't think that's it.

All she will say is that it looks better when all kids are dressed in exactly the same jumper, and in exactly the same tracksuit. She seems very precise in all that she does which is great but I'm more worried about my child's level of education. Them all looking like identical little humans is of no benefit to me.

The reason is greed. Write a letter to the Board and ask her how much of a commission is the shop going to pay? Shame the bitch out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

We have no crest on the jumper but have to have it on the tracksuit top!
    Costs €5 from the school and irons on.
    Think the reasoning behind it is that they will be wearing tracksuits on school trips and it identifies them if one strays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

How would you feel if a garda stopped you and he had his badge stuck on a generic baseball hat?

How would you feel if a garda stopped you and he had his badge stuck on a generic baseball hat?

His problem, not mine. The garda does not buy his own uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Confused as to where was his hurley

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It would depend what I was guilty of I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Candie wrote: »
    Not at all!

Their kids will be different.

No, my kids have been holy, tantrum driven, saliva spouting, screaming terrors - but at least when they acted up or acted out I had the grace to be embarrassed by their behaviour and actively do something about it, up to and including removing them from the situation.

Too many parents bring their kids to situations or venues not suited for kids and then seem surprised or think it's cute when the kids don't act like adults, or get bored then disruptive and start imposing on everyone else's enjoyment.

Likewise, there seems to be an increasing number of parents who think the rest of us should shape the world to meet little 'Odhrán's' or 'Moya's' requirements....as a youth rugby coach and ref I was approached earlier this year by a parent and asked if I could organise the games so there was less tackling!!! Like, what-the-actual-fúck! I had to look over this parent's shoulder to make sure one of the other coaches wasn't having a laugh!

.....and only last week I was out for a bite to eat in a local cafe and at the table next to me there was a child colouring in - when the owner asked the parent if they wouldn't mind stopping the child from colouring in the table.....the reply was to blame the owner for giving the kids the tub of crayons (and colouring sheets) in the first place!!!

[/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Candie wrote: »
    Don't worry N, for every armchair childless parenting expert dripping with spite and vitriol, there's a few like me.

I don't mind the sound of kids playing, I like hearing them enjoy themselves. I think the vast, vast majority of parents are doing the best they can, and I think the vast majority of kids are good natured and mannered, even if they have the odd off-day.

I don't begrudge anyone with kids a little help with the cost of raising them, and I even think babies are cute. :) I've nephews and a niece I'd stand in front of a train to protect, so I can't imagine how cutting some of this poison is to a parent.

Don't let it get to you.

+1 Candie. I can never understand how people don't realise what could go wrong. Reading BaaLaams post ( have I spelled that right?), nearly broke my heart. I realised how lucky I am. I became seriously mentally ill in my early thirties. Fortunately, I was single. Could you imagine what life (scraping), would have been like for a partner? Income gone, and now I have four kids. It doesn't bear thinking about. And yet, some people don't understand this. Here, I'll tell ya what. We both bet Baa that Donegal can beat Dublin. €30 apiece. Even money. And if they do, aah shur I'll throw me hat at it! I wouldn't know how to collect. Buy meself and Dravokovich a pint. Yiz thugs!:pac:

Advertisement