Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance young person named driver

• 03-08-2016 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I'm sure this has been done to death but can't find my exact case. Maybe someone can advise.
    Looking to put my son on the insurance. Just got learner permit. 123 have quoted 4,000 for 10 months comprehensive and can't get another quote.
    I'm 44, 20 years no claim bonus.
    My wife is 44, 6 penalty points named driver. She has her own car. 20 ish no claims bonus.
    Driving 1.6 litre, 2005. Worth about 2,000

So what can I do to bring down the quote and who are these best.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you considered putting the son on your wife's insurance? You can only insure him as a named driver on an existing policy and as yours has 10 months to run, you have no choice in the case of your policy, you can only get a quote from 123. The only other option is to add him to the wife's policy but of course that means he can only drive her car which may prove an obstacle......

It's probably not surprising that the quote is so high given that it's a 1.6 litre. Which is probably why in the summer time you see so many young lads driving the mammy's Yaris and not daddy's 520.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭paddie9

coylemj wrote: »
    Have you considered putting the son on your wife's insurance? You can only insure him as a named driver on an existing policy and as yours has 10 months to run, you have no choice in the case of your policy, you can only get a quote from 123. The only other option is to add him to the wife's policy but of course that means he can only drive her car which may prove an obstacle......

It's probably not surprising that the quote is high given that it's a 1.6 litre.

Think I can cancel policy and get money back.
    So if I changed car how much is it likely to come down and what size engine do I need to go to.

The annual tax on a 2005 1.6 litre is €514 and would cost an arm and a leg for a young person to insure (as you've just discovered) so your prospective buyers will be very thin on the ground and I'd say you'd be lucky to get €1,000 for it. The 123 policy document says that that they will reimburse you only 60% of the premium if you cancel in the third month so with 10 months to run on your policy, you will lose almost half of what you already paid. I'm assuming that if there's 10 months left on the policy now, there will be 9 months left if/when you make the switch.

So it will be a very expensive move if you choose to do it. To bring down the quote you need to buy a mainstream model with a small engine because insurers don't like learner drivers buzzing around in powerful cars they can't handle. Who is the best? Shop around and you'll find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SureWhyNotNow

Same story here,18 Dad tried to get me on the Insurance. I have a full license,however

Massive prices. Only quotes don't seem to have any change if we change cars.

'98 1.9 VW diesel,5k. makes sense.

'15 1.0 Yaris. 3k. Same as a 2010 1.3l Suzuki Swift.

Seeing how where you live has an effect it might be more reasonable in other parts of Ireland. Louth seems to be not liked by Insurers.

Also,NCB generally goes only up to '7+',above that it doesn't make a difference it seems. Which is BS,but what isn't with insurance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭paddie9

You'd imagine there would be someone who could say which company is the best at present and which risk factors you could change.
    The problem with ringing around is that each one takes half and and each time you wanted to change something you had start again. 2 companies wouldn't quote me for a 1.4 without a registration.
    Theres a vacuum of information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coylemj wrote: »

So it will be a very expensive move if you choose to do it. To bring down the quote you need to buy a mainstream model with a small engine because insurers don't like learner drivers buzzing around in powerful cars they can't handle. Who is the best? Shop around and you'll find out.

1.6 isn't a powerful car. Our insurance market is messed up when they convince people that's too powerful an engine for a learner. A <1l can be too powerful in the wrong hands.

Del2005 wrote: »
    1.6 isn't a powerful car. Our insurance market is messed up when they convince people that's too powerful an engine for a learner. A <1l can be too powerful in the wrong hands.

Agreed but in general terms, a 1.6 litre car is typically a lot more powerful than a one litre car and in an accident will do more damage than a one litre car because (1) it will probably be going faster (esp with a learner behind the wheel) and (2) it weighs more so will inflict more damage on the other guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Had 0 years NCB last year myself due to living abroad. Every company quoting between €2800 and €4000. Tried them all, wouldn't get quoted on their sites so started phoning around, 60 odd calls layer I got fully comp for €1200 from cover in a click.ie

Shop around. Ring every single one of them

Advertisement