Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards Fantasy League Tournament 2016 - Join Now!

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

250px-WWE_Raw_%2825-07-2016%29_-_Logo.png

The last Raw of our game has finished and that means we are just one show away from the conclusion of the contest. Several players had all, or almost all, of their line-ups in action last night, so Raw was of crucial importance. I can reveal that last night's show has provided us with even more drama but has also left us with many questions, as opposed to answers. Read on for more...

*Note - Raw spoilers below. Do not read further if you do not want news of Raw.*

Monday Night Raw scores

Gaw_.................................................24 pts
    beakerjoe...........................................20 pts
    daithi1989..........................................18 pts
    Mr.Nice Guy........................................18 pts
    LeeJM................................................10 pts
    paulie21.............................................10 pts
    WinnyThePoo.......................................10 pts
    Bounty Hunter.......................................9 pts
    Cheese Wagstaff....................................9 pts
    DM_7...................................................9 pts
    Kankan14..............................................9 pts
    A Brad Maddox Guy.................................4 pts

Raw Fallout

It is Gaw_ that grabs the highest score for Raw thanks to wins for his captain Cesaro, Rusev, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, and a Kevin Owens appearance point. The second highest score went to beakerjoe via wins for his captain Cesaro, plus Rollins, Reigns, and appearance points for Big Cass and Primo.

The average for Raw was 13 points.

And now let's see what shape that leaves us going into tonight's final show, Smackdown...

Gameweek 20 Standings (Post-Raw)

1. daithi1989....................................................................528 points

2. paulie21.......................................................................520 points

3. Mr.Nice Guy..................................................................519 points

4. DM_7..........................................................................518 points

5. beakerjoe....................................................................503 points

6. Bounty Hunter..............................................................491 points

7. Gaw_..........................................................................455 points

8. Cheese Wagstaff...........................................................428 points

9. Kankan14....................................................................413 points

10. A Brad Maddox Guy......................................................410 points

11. LeeJM........................................................................379 points

12. WinnyThePoo..............................................................363 points

League Fallout

It is daithi1989 that takes hold of top spot going into the final show, with paulie21, his nearest rival, trailing by 8 points. Just below, I have climbed to third spot just ahead of DM_7 who trails me by a point.

Here's the interesting bit though: ALL four players can still win the title. More on that below.

Kankan14 has also climbed, moving ahead of A Brad Maddox Guy in the battle to avoid deletion; I've provided details on the permutations involved in that below as well.

Title Hopes

daithi1989 - It is daithi who is in the driving seat and while he has the points advantage, a potential drawback is that he only has one Smackdown performer in action tonight - Heath Slater. And even a win for Slater wouldn't necssarily guarantee the title. See below.

paulie21 - paulie has the most Smackdown performers in his line-up of the title contenders, with 3 names: Randy Orton, The Miz and Jimmy Uso. Wins for all 3 would secure paulie the title, even if Heath Slater were to win a match for daithi.

Mr.Nice Guy - I have two Smackdown performers: Jason Jordan and James Ellsworth. None of the other title challengers have these names so if both are in action and win - giving me 11 points - then that could secure me the title as long as the other guys get low scores.

DM_7 - The long-time league leader has 2 Smackdown performers: Randy Orton and Mojo Rawley. DM_7 can still take the title if both of his guys win (giving him 10 points) and assuming daithi scores nothing (he would then finish ahead of daithi due to his better average overall in the game). Of course, he would need paulie and myself to score poorly also, but it's still possible by my calculations.

So we're looking at a four-way scrap for the championship. Who will take the victory?

Just below...

beakerjoe has used all of his team, so that should be his final total. If he is to finish ahead of Bounty Hunter he will have to hope BH's Smackdown performers (Orton, AJ Styles and Jimmy Uso) score poorly.

Deletion Zone Duel

It looks like LeeJM and WinnyThePoo have been consigned to the deletion, but there are still two players who must join them. Gaw_'s excellent score for Raw looks to have confirmed his remarkable escape from the Deletion Zone. A fantastic feat for someone who has been playing catch-up all game. That means one of Cheese Wagstaff, Kankan14 and A Brad Maddox Guy will manage to avoid Deletion. All three have plenty of Smackdown names in action:

Cheese Wagstaff: Dolph Ziggler, Nikki Bella, James Ellsworth.

Kankan14: AJ Styles, Kalisto, Jey Uso.

A Brad Maddox Guy: AJ Styles, Randy Orton (capt.), The Miz, Alexa Bliss.

It looks like the maximum score Kankan14 can get would take him level with Cheese Wagstaff - assuming he scores zero - but even that looks like it's not going to be enough as Cheese Wagstaff has the better overall average. Unless one of his team does double duty, I fear Kankan's fate may be sealed.

A Brad Maddox Guy still has hope though. With 4 of his side in action, including his captain - and a slightly better overall average than Cheese Wagstaff - a strong score tonight could see him survive.

One thing is for sure: forget Doctor Who, the must-see festive TV for us is tonight's episode of Smackdown. ;)
    Raw results

Rusev defeated Big Cass via D.Q.

Cedric Alexander defeated Noam Dar.

Cesaro & Sheamus and Big E & Kofi defeated Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson and The Shining Stars.

Sin Cara vs Titus O'Neil ended in a No-Contest.

Bayley defeated Charlotte.

Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins defeated Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens via D.Q.

220px-Braun_Strowman_in_September_2016.jpg

Strowman hasn't had a great week scoring-wise, but that interference in the Raw main event, which caused a D.Q., could wind up having a big effect.

That wraps up the Raw update as we prepare for the final show of the game. I hope to have the final standings posted tomorrow evening as we discover which player wins the 2016 Fantasy League and which players will face deletion!

Note - Smackdown spoilers below

World_Heavyweight_Championship_%28WWE%29_%282002%29_-_present.jpg

Well folks, we have reached the conclusion of our contest. For the past five months we have competed against one another in various ways. We had our first prize which was the tag team tournament - won by DM_7 and paulie21; then we had the Fantasy Cup - also won by paulie21; but now it's time to crown the winner of our final prize. The ultimate prize. The prize which we have been battling for since day one. And I can reveal to you that we haven't needed a tie-breaker after all. We have a clear winner...and I am delighted to announce to you that your winner of the 2016 PW Boards Fantasy League Tournament is...

...daithi1989!

With a winning margin of three points, it is daithi that holds on to take the title. Here is a brief look at the champ's path to glory...

The Road to the Title

Describing himself when he enlisted as a 'long time silent user of Boards', it turned out to be a quiet enough start for daithi, who never managed to finish a week higher than sixth in the first nine gameweeks.

While he managed to reach a 4th place in Gameweek 10, for the next few weeks that was as good as it got for him. When people would have considered potential winners of the game, realistically daithi would not have been high on the list.

The clear favourite for most of the game was DM_7, who never finished lower than 3rd place, and who held top spot for the end of fourteen gameweeks.

Another strong contender was paulie21, who began to make his presence felt in the top three - putting himself in a position to pull off a remarkable treble, having secured a tag team triumph with DM_7 and a Fantasy Cup win - over daithi.

But starting in Gameweek 15, daithi went on a fantastic run. Having never previously been higher than 4th, he ended GW 15 in 2nd place; and from then on he never finished a week lower than that.

Going into the final show Smackdown, 4 players - daithi, paulie, DM_7 and myself - had chances to win depending on how the show unfolded. I was the first to have my hopes dashed - a loss for James Ellsworth ending my slim chances. The next player to have his hopes ended was DM_7 - a win for The Miz meant DM_7 couldn't catch paulie even if Mojo Rawley won (which he did); and so that meant it was a repeat of the Cup Final with both daithi and paulie the only ones who could take the title.

A win for Randy Orton would have given the title to paulie, and I must say when I saw Orton and the Wyatts putting the boots to Dean Ambrose last night, I was sure American Alpha were going to run out and make the save and that Daniel Bryan would then have booked a 6 man tag match - which would have put Orton into a scenario where he could have won. But there would be no match. And daithi, who did not score any points last night, was able to hang on, taking the top spot in the final week by three points and pipping the man who had beaten him in the Fantasy Cup Final.

Can't ask for a more dramatic ending than that. Congratulations to our league champion, daithi!

Now let's take a look at the league in full, including the four unfortunate souls to suffer deletion...

Final Standings

1. daithi1989....................................................................528 points

2. paulie21.......................................................................525 points

3. DM_7..........................................................................524 points

4. Mr.Nice Guy..................................................................520 points

5. beakerjoe....................................................................503 points

6. Bounty Hunter..............................................................495 points

7. Gaw_..........................................................................455 points

8. Cheese Wagstaff...........................................................430 points

9. A Brad Maddox Guy.......................................................420 points

10. Kankan14...................................................................417 points

11. LeeJM........................................................................379 points

12. WinnyThePoo..............................................................372 points

League Fallout

daithi takes the title with a win of 528 points. As you can see this was a gripping finish at the top with only 25 points separating first from fifth. I'm pleased it didn't come down to a tie-breaker - in fact none of the positions did.

DM_7 climbs above me to take third place, cementing his record of never having finished a week outside the top three.

Bounty Hunter ate into beakerjoe's lead in fifth, but was unable to dislodge him. Gaw_, as we knew going into Smackdown, had secured his survival - and he got the highest points total of the final week. He achieved his goal of avoiding the drop and considering he missed the first weeks, that is one of the most impressive feats we've seen this year.

But what of those who would face deletion? We knew that LeeJM and WinnyThePoo unfortunately had too big of a margin to overcome. The other three players above them did have a chance to escape, but in the end it is Kankan14 and A Brad Maddox Guy who wind up being rendered obsolete. That means Cheese Wagstaff, last year's league champion, becomes the final survivor. (In a curious twist, last year Cheese Wagstaff won the league with A Brad Maddox Guy finishing nearest to him - the same thing happened here, albeit at a different end of the table).

Smackdown results

AJ Styles defeated James Ellsworth.

The Miz defeated Apollo Crews.

Dean Ambrose defeated Luke Harper.

La Luchadora aka Becky Lynch defeated Alexa Bliss.

Mojo Rawley defeated Curt Hawkins.

Dolph Ziggler vs Baron Corbin ended in a Double Count-Out.

225px-WWE_Champion_AJ_Styles.jpg

He hasn't done much of late but AJ Styles finishes our game with a win.

Smackdown scores

A Brad Maddox Guy.............................10 pts
    WinnyThePoo.......................................9 pts
    DM_7.................................................6 pts
    paulie21.............................................5 pts
    Bounty Hunter.....................................4 pts
    Kankan14...........................................4 pts
    Cheese Wagstaff..................................2 pts
    Mr.Nice Guy.........................................1 pt
    beakerjoe...........................................0 pts
    daithi1989...........................................0 pts
    Gaw_.................................................0 pts
    LeeJM................................................0 pts

Smackdown Fallout

Although they may have ended up experiencing deletion, there is small consolation for A Brad Maddox Guy and WinnyThePoo who get the highest and second-highest scores for the final show; A Brad Maddox Guy got his points via wins for The Miz, AJ Styles and an Alexa Bliss appearance point, while WinnyThePoo got his points via wins for Miz and Styles.

The average for Smackdown was 3 points.

The 2016 Fantasy League Tournament Performances - In Review

WinnyThePoo - WinnyThePoo started the game brightly but from Gameweek 4 on wound up in the Deletion Zone spots and was unable to break free. On a brighter note, though, by the end of the game he was starting to score well, and his scores in GW 18 and the final week were his best of the game. There were signs he was getting into a good groove; he just had too much to do in the end.

LeeJM - This year proved a trickier year for LeeJM who last year had finished 5th, as well as secured the Fantasy Cup. This year he had a strong first month but his form began to dip and he found himself in the Deletion Zone for the final third of the game. On the plus side, he continued his strong Cup performances and made a great defence of his Cup, reaching the semi-finals and losing out to the eventual winner paulie21.

Kankan14 - It proved a struggle for Kankan14 in the league this year, hovering around the mid-table and Deletion Zone spots for the most part; on a happier note, however, his tag team with beakerjoe (BeakerKan14) proved to be one of the best tag teams of that tournament, eventually losing in the final to paulie21 and DM_7.

A Brad Maddox Guy - Last year's league runner-up had a tougher year in 2016, hovering around the mid-table mark for most of the game. Deletion never looked like an inevitability but low scores in the final weeks, as well as strong scores by Gaw_ and Cheese Wagstaff, saw him become the final deletion. On a happier note, he had a fun rivalry with eventual league winner daithi whose tag partnership didn't quite work out.

Cheese Wagstaff - It's been an eventful year for last year's champ. He began the game strongly and finished GW 5 and 6 in first and second place respectively, but his form began to dip in the final third of the game. The points loss week proved massively harmful with a score of -19 points helping to place him in a battle to survive. In the end, though, last year's champ brought back some of his old form with some strong scores in the final weeks, and managed to avoid deletion.

Gaw_ - Gaw_ was a late entrant to the game and it seemed like his goose was cooked from day one, as he himself admitted when he signed up: "I'm quite far behind, so I will certainly face deletion." But in the end, he would not face deletion. Strong performances gave him hope and in the end he managed to stay up with time to spare. A great accomplishment and a title challenge may have been possible had he started at the same time as us.

Bounty Hunter - The man who finished third last year produced another strong showing this year, and from GW 7 to 12 he finished each week in second place. While his form began to dip from GW 13 on, he was still in with an outside chance for the title going into the final week.

beakerjoe - For the first half of the game beakerjoe hovered around the mid-table and Deletion Zone spots, but in the second half of the game he improved a great deal. Although he never finished a week higher than fifth, he had a chance of a title win going into the final week. This was a much better year than the one he had last year where he finished tenth. He also came close to tag team tournament victory, losing out to paulie and DM_7 in the final.

Mr.Nice Guy - My performances in the first half of the game were poor but picked up in the second part. While I finished the week in second place from GW 13-15, after that my form dipped. A decent run in the Cup led to a semi-final loss to daithi. I had an outside chance to win the title in the final week but in the end I finish in the same position as last year: fourth. I'm Arsenal I guess!

DM_7 - 2016 was a big improvement for DM_7 over last year's game where he finished sixth. This time he was the man to beat for most of the game, finishing most weeks on top. And as noted above, he never finished a week lower than third which is a great achievement. He also does not leave the game without an honour as he and paulie won the tag team tournament.

paulie21 - This year was paulie's first in the game and it was a fantastic debut; he won the Fantasy Cup defeating daithi1989 in the final, won the tag tournament with DM_7, and he was in with a shout for an insane treble by winning the title, ultimately falling just short. He had a strong year throughout with his lowest end-of-week position being 5th place in Gameweek 11. He also captained his team to victory in the Survivor Series tournament. Quite a year.

daithi1989 - Also making his debut in the game this year, daithi beat his rivals with a stunning victory in the end, avenging his loss in the Fantasy Cup Final to paulie where he lost by six points, to claim the title by three points. He has been in terrific form since Gameweek 15 and has kept it up when the pressure was on. Congrats to the champ.

On to...Christmas and the New Year! And some thoughts...

Thank you to everyone who participated in the game. Without you it couldn't be possible.

I am delighted with how the game went this year as I think we surpassed last year in terms of drama and excitement. We had a much more compelling title race this time - how do you top this? - and even the Fantasy Cup Final went down to the wire. I thought the tag tournament worked well and the Survivor Series game too. The Deletion aspect hopefully made things interesting for those at the other end of the table. I wanted to try and maintain the interest as much as possible this year. The squad submissions each week were much more regular than last year so thanks for that.

As regards things I think that could be improved, I wasn't happy with the tie-break arrangement I came up with. I think there should be a better way of determining the title if two players end the game on top. Perhaps a special one off Raw show for those players alone to decide things would be better. That wouldn't necessarily be needed for two players that finish in 8th place for example (I think the average system is fine to determine that) but for the title itself, I feel there should be a clear winner.

I would also have liked to see a few more players involved; sixteen would have been a handy number. I probably should have promoted the game more in advance of opening the thread, as beakerjoe and Bounty Hunter have sensibly done with the Draft thread. This thread scored well in the end-of-year Boards awards so hopefully more people in the forum are aware of the game now.

I am interested to hear any feedback, good or bad, you may have on your experience. One of the things I listened to from last year were suggestions from the likes of A Brad Maddox Guy, DM_7 and LeeJM to limit the number of transfers from 3 to 2 - and I think this year worked out so much better for that - and also to expand the number of mid-card options - which again I think worked out much better.

Feel free to add any thoughts which you think could improve things.

I hope you had fun and that it proved a nice distraction. I tend to get bored with WWE at this time of year so doing this game helped me maintain interest. It also helped me get to know many of you better that I didn't know before the game. I might see some of you in the Draft coming up in a month's time, which is always fun if you've never tried it, and perhaps we can try this again in 2017 for a new game of the Fantasy League.

Thanks once again, and congrats once again to daithi on his league win and paulie21 and DM_7 on Cup and tag team wins respectively. Hope everybody has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

2016 PW Boards Fantasy League Honours

Fantasy League Champion: daithi1989

Runner-up: paulie21

Fantasy Cup Champion: paulie21

Runner-up: daithi1989

Tag Team Champions: paulie21 and DM_7

Runner-up: beakerjoe and Kankan14

Survivor Series Challenge winners: BWO (Boards World Order) - paulie21, Gaw_, DM_7, beakerjoe, A Brad Maddox Guy and WinnyThePoo.

Highest Score for a Gameweek: paulie21 - 57 pts in GW 18

Deleted: WinnyThePoo, LeeJM, Kankan14, A Brad Maddox Guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Congrats Daithi can't begrudge you the win, actually felt I lost when I didn't pick Charlotte in the bonus considering her PPV record and I'd defided logic by picking her in a different PPV bonus. Huge thank you to Mr Nice Guy for running this and for coming up with some fantasic ideas, as you I lose interest in WWE at this time of year but this game helped maintain, hopefully we go again next year and a few new faces come aboard

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im sure ive echod these feelings before, but your time and dedication to the game this year was a true effort. It not only made the game better, but as a result it made watching Raw, Smackdown and PPVs much more worthwhile, particularly in the last month or 2. Well done and thank you MNG, I hope to run the draft with the same can do attitude.

Oh and well done to Daithi. Well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Was delighted last night when reports of a Triple Threat for SD involving Heath broke, and was confident of holding onto victory. But as the show went on, feared the worst, especially after Miz picked up the victory!

Turning point for me was my near perfect week when I think 6 of my 7 wrestlers won? That dragged me back into contention again.

Thanks again MNG for the game. As said by others, it definitely kept my interest spiked in the last few months. It has been very enjoyable and I look forward to defending my title next season. The Cup and Tag Team Competitions (and my then rival with The Brad Maddox Guy!) were all fun elements to the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Thanks for running it again MNG, even if I did get deleted :P
    daithi1989 wrote: »
    Thanks again MNG for the game. As said by others, it definitely kept my interest spiked in the last few months. It has been very enjoyable and I look forward to defending my title next season. The Cup and Tag Team Competitions (and my then rival with The Brad Maddox Guy!) were all fun elements to the game.

Congrats daithi, unfortunately this makes me the Marty... In future I hope to grow into Christian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Pretty sure I had aj for a win on SD live? It doesn't matter though don't think it affects anyones finishing position.

Thanks for running MNG great crack and you kept it fresh throughout.

Congrats daithi. Also well done cup and tag team winners.

Great the way everyone maintained interest right through and there were no dead/ghost teams.

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I had aj for a win on SD live? It doesn't matter though don't think it affects anyones finishing position.

Sorry, you're quite right. I fixed it now.

Advertisement