Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Selling the bike - Keeping the insurance

• 03-08-2016 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So, have a question.

Need to sell this bike pronto, but still have 2 and a half months insurance to go to get an NCB. Planning to stay away from bikes for a little while, so buying a new bike, and insuring it is out of question.

Ive never been in this sort of situation before, so just wondering, is it anyhow possible to keep the insurance going while I don't own the bike?
    I mean, the insurance is paid in full for the year already. Or would the insurer just refund me the difference for the time left and bye bye NCB?

Another option I was thinking of, is buying a small non-runner, and transferring the insurance onto that for the next few months - and then selling it for parts.
    Would that be a viable option or would there be any issues?

Just wondering.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

If you cancel the policy now you'll likely get a 0% refund. The amount you would get refunded usually decreases substantially after the first 2/3 months and by now you would likely get nothing, the specifics on that will be in your insurance documents though.

If you cancel now with 2.5 months left on the policy you won't gain any NCB for the previous 9.5 months.

If you let your NCB lapse by 2 years you have to start from scratch again. How many years have you got right now?

Depending on how many years you have, it might make sense to buy a cheap scoot or non running/project bike for €100-€200 and insure that until you buy another bike (something cheap like this junker). From my experience an insurer will only insure you if you or your spouse own the bike/car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Buy a basket case for a few quid to keep the insurance alive.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I would not do it.. I am not sure if this could happen over here..

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-biker-insurance-hell-after-4141840#OgG6K2uFLQeYsDvq.97

Saying that it may take you 2 months to sell it anyway.

Advertisement