Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posts disappearing

Options
  • 03-08-2016 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭

My posts are disappearing - specifically from the Legal Issues forum.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

can you link to a thread/post where you are certain that you posted or replied to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057629726&page=2

A mod has just now posted telling me off for talking about forum policy so it looks like they just deleted my posts without telling me (which is why I posted a second time).

I am sure if I respond to the mod they will punish me so I guess there is nothing you (or I) can do and I will just accept that this mod silently deletes posts if they want.

Thanks for responding.

not all moderated posts have a PM sent to the poster. It was removed and the mod saw that as the end of it, no warning needed.

when you posted again the mod posted an on thread warning.

its fairly standard.

if you see a post you have an issue with, best bet is to report it to bring it to the mods attention. Calling it out on thread (for forum rules not for disagreeing with the topic) just leads to off topic arguments or potentially a long term slow boiling tit-for-tat between posters.

LoLth wrote: »
    not all moderated posts have a PM sent to the poster. It was removed and the mod saw that as the end of it, no warning needed.

when you posted again the mod posted an on thread warning.

its fairly standard.

if you see a post you have an issue with, best bet is to report it to bring it to the mods attention. Calling it out on thread (for forum rules not for disagreeing with the topic) just leads to off topic arguments or potentially a long term slow boiling tit-for-tat between posters.

Well the mods attention has clearly been drawn to the post that I was complaining about (seeing as I had quoted it in the posts that were deleted) and it still stands with no deletion or card so it must be considered ok (I genuinely dont know how but if thats how it is I cant change it).

I just didnt realise my posts had been silently deleted deliberately, I wasnt aware that that happens here. I thought it was a glitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

• Advertisement

Dav wrote: »

Yeah that was posted after I posted here.

I already said that in my second post on this thread.

Plenty of time had passed before I noticed my first post was missing.

I thought it was a glitch, then my second one disappeared.

Then I posted here.

Then LoLth replied.

When getting the link to show which thread I discovered the mod comment.

I wasnt aware that silent deletions were a thing.

Now I know.

there are three options:

issue a warning (yellow card) so you know that what you posted was out of line (reason will be in the card and you'll get a PM) and others will see it too.

delete silently and let the thread continue

issue on thread warning

mods can be quite busy so PMing a user with a reason for every action is not a fair expectation. it would be lovely and in a perfect world, yes, great but as it stands its not really a viable option.

as you say, now you know so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

intheclouds,

You took issue with another poster. Instead of reporting it, you posted on the thread, ostensibly asking about forum policy:
    Is the policy on this forum just to disparage the OP rather than factually answer his query?

That post wasn't really about forum policy. It was a smart comment in lieu of a reported post and it was off topic. There was no card or on-thread warning but your post had no place in the thread, so it was deleted and that was that.

However, you posted the same guff again:
    My previous comment seems to have been deleted so I will repeat it.

Is there a policy on this forum to disparage posters rather than give a factual response to their query?

After I deleted your second post but before I got a chance to post the on-thread warning, you opened this thread.
    I am sure if I respond to the mod they will punish me so I guess there is nothing you (or I) can do and I will just accept that this mod silently deletes posts if they want.
    I wasnt aware that silent deletions were a thing.

Now I know.
    Well the mods attention has clearly been drawn to the post that I was complaining about (seeing as I had quoted it in the posts that were deleted) and it still stands with no deletion or card so it must be considered ok (I genuinely dont know how but if thats how it is I cant change it).

I just didnt realise my posts had been silently deleted deliberately, I wasnt aware that that happens here. I thought it was a glitch.

Let's get something straight here. Your posts were not okay. Therefore they were deleted. 'Silently', you say? There doesn't have to be a fuss about deleting off topic rubbish from the thread. So that's what happened the first time. The second time around, you got here before I put up an on-thread warning.

It's understandable that you're here enquiring about missing posts but it's a bit rich that you keep moaning and groaning about it, considering that you are not exactly on the side of the angels, yourself.

A small bit of cop on would go a long way.

Glad I didn't bother pming you Pat Mustard if that is the calibre of your response towards a poster.

Smart comment? Guff? Off topic rubbish? Bit rich, moaning and groaning?

If you can't be civil then why bother responding? Your interaction with posters leaves a lot to be desired. If I addressed you in the same tone I'd be heavily reprimanded.

The post I commented on was not the only example of disparaging posts towards the OP on that thread, which you conveniently ignored.

Good day to you, and less of the bad attitude would be nice.

Advertisement