Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheques cashed

• 03-08-2016 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭

Where can I cash a ceque with out lodging in to bank account local publican used to cash them for me but he is getting slow to pay out will the bank, cheque is from cash it for me

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You'll have to go to the actual branch that the cheque is from, and you'll need to bring ID. If the cheque is crossed they won't cash it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Toots wrote: »
    You'll have to go to the actual branch that the cheque is from, and you'll need to bring ID. If the cheque is crossed they won't cash it.

No they refused quite arrogantly to cash them for me, you need a bank account she said

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

What bank was this in?

What bank was this in?

AIB

Jaysus. Maybe that branch are a bit pernickety or something, I've never had trouble getting a cheque cashed in my local AIB, even though I don't have an account there. Was it for a large amount, do you mind me asking?

• Advertisement

Jaysus. Maybe that branch are a bit pernickety or something, I've never had trouble getting a cheque cashed in my local AIB, even though I don't have an account there. Was it for a large amount, do you mind me asking?

800 I used to bank in this branch closed it down its all changed now its like a hotel lobby with young good looking females asking how can we help you today LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

popa smurf wrote: »
    No they refused quite arrogantly to cash them for me, you need a bank account she said
    That applies if the cheque is crossed. A crossing is made by drawing two parallel lines across the cheque which might or might not have added words - but the lines alone are sufficient to constitute a crossing.

If a cheque is uncrossed, it is a fundamental breach of the banker's duty to refuse to cash it.

That applies if the cheque is crossed. A crossing is made by drawing two parallel lines across the cheque which might or might not have added words - but the lines alone are sufficient to constitute a crossing.

If a cheque is uncrossed, it is a fundamental breach of the banker's duty to refuse to cash it.
    No cheque wasn't crossed

popa smurf wrote: »
    No cheque wasn't crossed

They should have cashed it, so. I'd understand if it was for a large amount, but €800 wouldn't be cause to refuse to cash it.

Just wondering, did they just outright say they weren't cashing it, or did she take the cheque and look at it and type anything in before refusing to cash it?

They should have cashed it, so. I'd understand if it was for a large amount, but €800 wouldn't be cause to refuse to cash it.

Just wondering, did they just outright say they weren't cashing it, or did she take the cheque and look at it and type anything in before refusing to cash it?
    Ya out right I tryed explaining that the cheque was from this branch but she wasn't having any of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

AIB changed the rules years ago.

In banking terms, refusing to honour a properly drawn cheque is a big deal. There are circumstances that justify a refusal (insufficient funds to cover it, drawer deceased, cheque stopped by drawer, etc.) but if none of then apply, the cashier is seriously out of order. Among other things, dishonouring a cheque can be seen as damaging to the good name of the drawer.

At the lowest level of response, I would visit the bank again and take the matter up with the manager.

Bank rules do not take precedence over legal obligations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

There are a number of reasons why a cheque may not be cashed, and the bank do not have to disclose this to you. If you have a bank account, lodge it there. If you are a customer of the bank, the funds may be made available immediately

The bank know quite well which branch the bank account is held in so they don't need your advice on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

In banking terms, refusing to honour a properly drawn cheque is a big deal. There are circumstances that justify a refusal (insufficient funds to cover it, drawer deceased, cheque stopped by drawer, etc.) but if none of then apply, the cashier is seriously out of order. Among other things, dishonouring a cheque can be seen as damaging to the good name of the drawer.

At the lowest level of response, I would visit the bank again and take the matter up with the manager.

But the bank is not dishonouring the cheque, they are just refusing to cash it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Exactly.

I had a cheque cashed in AIB in May, so they don't seem to be too consistent in applying their new rules. I suspect it might be a case of pot luck depending which branch you go to.

I just had a quick google there and found this tweet from them back in 2013 saying that they no longer cash cheques for non AIB customers.

I had a cheque cashed in AIB in May, so they don't seem to be too consistent in applying their new rules. I suspect it might be a case of pot luck depending which branch you go to.

I just had a quick google there and found this tweet from them back in 2013 saying that they no longer cash cheques for non AIB customers.
    Game set and match there lads

There are a number of reasons why a cheque may not be cashed, and the bank do not have to disclose this to you. If you have a bank account, lodge it there. If you are a customer of the bank, the funds may be made available immediately

The bank know quite well which branch the bank account is held in so they don't need your advice on that one.
    It doesn't follow that the bank is entitled to refuse to cash a cheque without good reason. It is protocol to indicate that there is a legal obstacle to payment (if one exists). This is done by writing something on the face of the cheque. The vaguest message is "R/D" (refer to drawer).

In my opinion, it is unacceptable that a bank push back against its long-established legal obligations.

Refusing to cash a cheque is dishonouring it. By law, an uncrossed cheque is payable on demand.

• Advertisement

So basically they say that they will disregard their legal obligations, and that's the end of the matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

So basically they say that they will disregard their legal obligations, and that's the end of the matter?

What legal obligations? Some banks don accept cheques full stop, let alone cash them.

JTMan wrote: »
    What legal obligations? Some banks don accept cheques full stop, let alone cash them.
    Some banks don't provide full current account services; others do.

I have a current account which entitles me to use cheques as one of my payment options. If I issue a cheque and don't restrict its use by crossing it, the payee (or the payee's successor in title) has the right to exchange that cheque for cash at the branch that holds my account. Refusal to do that is known as dishonouring the cheque (informally "bouncing"). If my cheque is bounced, it damages my good name. If it is bounced without good reason, that is defamatory.

Read all about it: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1882/act/61/enacted/en/print.html

Advertisement