Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbin Backst@rds

Options
  • 03-08-2016 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

I went to town today to buy school books for my kid. Long story short, dropped my wallet (stupid I know). Wallet was handed in to the Garda station, cards and license still there, but €300 in cash gone. So thanks to the person who returned the wallet and I'd like to wish a severe and painful bout of piles to the thief who swiped the cash.

Anyway my kid asked me what I'd do if I found the guy who swiped the cash, any suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

guy? Could have been a woman.

Plus leave the person alone and move on. Be glad they didn't take everything.

Garda station probably has CCTV so me thinks this story is made up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Acknowledge that their need was greater than yours and lovingly embrace them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Call in a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' **** samoans, who'll go to work on the homes with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly rural sterotype boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I did that once ~ dropped my wallet ~ about forty years ago. Never used a wallet since.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LightsStillOn

*logs into Boards*
    Call in a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' ****, who'll go to work on the homes with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy?

*logs back out of Boards*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Acknowledge that their need was greater than yours and lovingly embrace them.

But the child needs books!!!

*logs into Boards*

You left your lights on. THINK OF THE IMMERSION! He's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

boobar wrote: »
    I went to town today to buy school books for my kid. Long story short, dropped my wallet (stupid I know). Wallet was handed in to the Garda station, cards and license still there, but €300 in cash gone. So thanks to the person who returned the wallet and I'd like to wish a severe and painful bout of piles to the thief who swiped the cash.

Anyway my kid asked me what I'd do if I found the guy who swiped the cash, any suggestions?

Is it possible your kid robbed the money and is sounding you out about what might happen if he comes clean.

But the child needs books!!!

But that child will have books whereas the poor person who took the money was truly in need and had no other option. Think of them and in great charity offer thanks that the OP was given the opportunity by the great hand of serendipity of aiding one more disadvantaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

*logs into Boards*

If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Fleawuss wrote: »
    But that child will have books whereas the poor person who took the money was truly in need and had no other option. Think of them and in great charity offer thanks that the OP was given the opportunity by the great hand of serendipity of aiding one more disadvantaged.

There was a girl I used pal with years called SaraAnn Diffely , over time we gradually changed her name to "serendipity ".

There was a girl I used pal with years called SaraAnn Diffely , over time we gradually changed her name to "serendipity ".

A lovely compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Let's be realistic, same person who handed in the wallet probably took the cash :pac:

No good deed goes unrewarded baha.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Let's be realistic, same person who handed in the wallet probably took the cash :pac:

No good deed goes unrewarded baha.

He's some moron if he did, because a Gard would spot that instantly. They just have that "look"..

If I were an arsehole with a weirdly placed conscience I'd take the cash and leave the wallet for someone else to find and tell the truth when they say "that's exactly how I found it officer".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Wasn't there a thread a while ago asking what you'd do if you found a wallet with cash and a high ratio of people saying they'd keep it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

He's some moron if he did, because a Gard would spot that instantly. They just have that "look"..

If I were an arsehole with a weirdly placed conscience I'd take the cash and leave the wallet for someone else to find and tell the truth when they say "that's exactly how I found it officer".

I'd take the cash and have no problem handing it in :pac:
    Way I see it is replacing the contents of your wallet is much more hassle than loosing a couple of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

It's always the day you have a wad of cash in umarked notes that the wallet gets stolen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The rain is wet, the sky is blue and lost wallets are handed in empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cancel the cards. They stole your cash, they could have cloned the cards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Stigura wrote: »
    I did that once ~ dropped my wallet ~ about forty years ago. Never used a wallet since.

That's the problem with wallets if lost\stolen everything is gone and the hassle of sorting it all out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I thought the robbery would be the price of the school books.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Dropped my wallet once

Foot has never fully recovered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I found a wallet stuck in the mud at electric picnic a few years ago as I was leaving the festival. Minimal cash in it, a tenner I think, but being the Good Samaritan that I am I used the guys ID cards and found him on Facebook.

He was delighted and we planned to meet mid week outside trinity. The wallet was covered in mud so On the meet up day, I popped the muddy wallet in a plastic bag and cycled into town with the plastic bag hanging off my handlebars.

Got to trinity, looked in the plastic bag, and there was now a massive hole in the bag and no wallet to be seen. I think the plastic bag had rubbed against my bike spokes and created a hole and the wallet had slipped out.

So after all my good intentions, I had to explain to this guy that I had found his wallet at ep but had lost it on my way into town. I don't think he believed me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP are you sure you dropped your wallet or were you the victim of a pickpocket? the pickpocket usually takes cash and other valuables from the wallet or purse then bins everything else so they can't be linked to the wallet. The person who handed the wallet in is unlikely to have stolen it or the money inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Dropped my wallet once

Foot has never fully recovered

Did you shout timberrrrrrrr when you dropped it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I just bought a 300e watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I lost a wallet with a nudge of cannabis in it years ago. Got a call from the local police station to say some kind citizen had handed it in and to come collect it.
    So I reckoned worst case it would be confiscated and I would get a caution or a telling off.

But no, they gave me some paperwork to fill in and returned my wallet. When I checked it the wee bit of cannabis was still inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

foggy_lad wrote: »
    OP are you sure you dropped your wallet or were you the victim of a pickpocket? the pickpocket usually takes cash and other valuables from the wallet or purse then bins everything else so they can't be linked to the wallet. The person who handed the wallet in is unlikely to have stolen it or the money inside.

Pretty sure I dropped it. I think I'll hope for the best and that the person who took the cash will use it to buy essentials for family. Hopefully it won't be some toe rag buying drink, drugs or a €300 watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Your Face wrote: »
    I just bought a 300e watch.

Damn!

Advertisement