Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for venue for wedding ceremony - ideally humanist

Options
  • 03-08-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My fiancée and I aren't really too bothered with a church wedding, so we've looked into venues for a humanist wedding elsewhere. We both went to UCC and live nearby. So far we've seen:

1. The Aula Maxima: nice, but maybe a small bit rough around the edges, plus the availability isn't massive
    2. The Glucksman Gallery in UCC: again, very nice, albeit twice as expensive as Aula Maxima. A few very small quibbles about the general cleanliness of the place, but tbf we might just have seen it on the wrong day.
    3. The Triskel: quite nice, a small bit dark and could be tricky for folks travelling from up the country to get to it and get parking etc. on a Saturday afternoon
    4. St Peter's North Main St.: Probably going to rule it out for reasons of parking and also the whole crowd spilling out onto a packed NMS on a Saturday around lunchtime

So, any other ideas? Can be a bit outside the box, we're open to a nice place, even if it's not that obvious. It'll have to take around 120-130 people. Around the City somewhere would be ideal but we're open to travelling, as some of the venues we're looking at are in Kinsale/Inishannon etc. And, obviously, we're aware we may not get everything we want in one place, so we have an open mind on venues.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Fota house, if available? Lots of parking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Fota golf club have a nice function room / area , lovely grassed area surrounded by old stone walls and the water features around the 18 th hole .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Regarding St. Peter's :

There's a multistorey carpark across the road.
    North Main Street is never packed on a Saturday or otherwise. What are you afraid will happen?

I think that would be a cracking venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Are ye looking at a place to have both ceremony and the party as such, or just the ceremony. And like have ye checked out the cost of having a humanist ceremony..

Just incase, they aint cheap.. If ye really aren't bothered it is nearly easier to go for civil ceremony either on site or in the office in town... Only thing then is that weekends are out..

Then you have lots of options pending on what ye want..

Ive loads of places for you if you give a few more details

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭hotmatottie10

how about the cricket club? most venues that accommodate weddings have their own set up for humanist/civil weddings. So they maybe worth looking at. Prices vary with humanists and i would advice booking early some are booked out 1-2 years in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

We had a humanist wedding in Dunmore House hotel outside Clonakilty and had the reception there as well. Works out great for the guests having them both in the same venue. We were lucky with the weather so had the ceremony outside on the decking area, overlooking the sea - was wonderful. Wedding planner there (Anne-Marie) is excellent as well, so flexible

Can PM you the name of the guy that did the wedding, couldn't recommend him high enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Barnabrow House near Cloyne. I was impressed - as a guest. Not sure it can cater for your numbers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

You mentioned Kinsale/Inishannon. Hope ye checked out inishannon house hotel, it's got a lovely outdoor area which is gorgeous on a sunny day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ballinacurra house in kinsale.
    http://ballinacurra.com/

Also, on UCC, the Honan is non-denominational AFAIK. Shouldn't be a problem with humanism in there. I think I was at a jewish ceremony in there (long time ago mind).

I was at a humanist ceremony in CastleMartyr as well, great food there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Another option for outside the city - Blairs Cove out durrus direction is fab - was at a wedding reception there few years ago. I am sure they would cater for cermony also

http://www.blairscove.ie/weddings.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement