Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

type 2 charge cable query

• 03-08-2016 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Sorry this may be a silly question.

buying a leaf and just prepping for the drive home.

car comes with a type 2 and a granny cable. Will the type 2 cable work to fast charge the car at motorway services?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

proponent wrote: »
    Sorry this may be a silly question.

buying a leaf and just prepping for the drive home.

car comes with a type 2 and a granny cable. Will the type 2 cable work to fast charge the car at motorway services?
    Fast chargers are tethered so no need for a cable. You only need the cable for charging at home with a dedicated chargepoint or public slow chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭proponent

duh.. sorry yes of course.

so i should be grand with a 151 leaf then with the 6.6kw

duh.. sorry yes of course.

so i should be grand with a 151 leaf then with the 6.6kw

The 6.6kw is for slow charging, it doesn't impact fast charging speeds. It will definitely come in handy if you can't get a fast charge though

Have you got all of your charging cards? Ecotricity have started requiring payment now in the UK. They use an app that requires an Internet connection to start a charge. So make sure that you can do that or have someone at home available to help.
    In Ireland you should request eCars to send out a card a couple of weeks in advance

yep all that part sorted.

v excited about getting home..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Exciting times :) Which port are you driving to? If it's Holyhead along the A55, Chester services is much nicer for something to eat then Kimnel Park :)

At Holyhead, there are two chargers (Ecotricity) at the back of the car park. Great to charge without having to on the ferry and gives you a chance to change everything to Km/h :)

Heading for Holyhead, I reckon I can do it in 5 stops.. allowing for 60 miles per rapid charge

thanks for the tip re services.

Sorry one other query... just messing about with the Ecotricity app and making sure its running. Its telling me that the AC fast charge is incompatible with my car and that DC is the only available option in most of the charge points.

If my leaf is a 6.6kw my understadning is that it can take a rapid charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Heading for Holyhead, I reckon I can do it in 5 stops.. allowing for 60 miles per rapid charge

thanks for the tip re services.

You wont get 60 miles unless you plan on driving well below the motorway speed limit. 50 miles is more realistic. You need to arrive at the charger with some to spare so dont take any chances.
    Sorry one other query... just messing about with the Ecotricity app and making sure its running. Its telling me that the AC fast charge is incompatible with my car and that DC is the only available option in most of the charge points.

If my leaf is a 6.6kw my understadning is that it can take a rapid charge?

You wont be using AC and the 6.6kw charger in the car. Thats for home charging.
    You will be using the DC rapid charge port, i.e. the Chademo connection.

Ah!

great thank you for clarifying this

• Advertisement

On a Leaf or i3 etc, AC = Slow(either 3.3 or 6.6 for Leaf), DC = Fast(around 45kw).

Zoe only uses AC just to confuse things

Oh and not all public chargers are fast/rapid chargers. Any that you will use your own cable on are AC slow chargers

Advertisement