Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Burren MTB Challenge

Options
  • 03-08-2016 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Ultimate Burren Mtb Challenge
    The Burren Cycling Club are organising a mountain bike challenge around the Burren, County Clare. There will be two routes, approx 70km and 46km, exact distance tbc. Both routes will cycle through Aillwee Caves and we have arranged access to private trails and roads through the Burren.

Date: Saturday 3rd September
    Start time:
    Long route 9am (70km approx, exact tbc)
    Short route 10am (46km, approx exact tbc)
    Cost: €60 with hoodie/ € 50 without- hoodies can be bought on the day.
    Included: organised cycle through Aillwee Caves
    Access to hidden private trails in the Burren
    Food stops and drinks
    branded hoodie- optional

Strava link for some of route- more links to follow..
    https://www.strava.com/activities/605814120

Full details:
    https://www.facebook.com/ultimateburrenmtb

Booking on-line:
    https://register.primoevents.com/ps/event/UltimateBurrenMTBChallenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd love to give this a go the burren is a great spot for cycling.

What kind of groups ability would I be looking at?

Is it a flat out xc race type? I'd be more of a having the craic kind of mtb'r and don't want to end up on my tod ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JayWalsh

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd love to give this a go the burren is a great spot for cycling.

What kind of groups ability would I be looking at?

Is it a flat out xc race type? I'd be more of a having the craic kind of mtb'r and don't want to end up on my tod ;)

Exactly my thoughts as well, i had a bad accident last October on the MTB, so i would be a little apprehensive if some of the descents are too technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

The terrain is a mixture of green roads, fields and single track. The green roads are rocky but ok to ride, the fields are fine and the single track will include some challenging sections which everyone will have to walk.
    There's a fair bit of climbing in the 70km and less so for the 46km. Its not a race, were treating it like a sportive. We expect there will be a group who will want to race the course and then the rest will be made up of mixed abilities. Burren CC will have members familiar with the terrain of all abilities so chances you'll have a local in your group who can tell you about the route and what to expect. There are many short cut and road options if you want a shortcut home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Jeez - too late for me to plan, doing the Reservoir Dog on the Sunday, would have loved to have done both.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Would it be possible to do the route on a cyclo cross bike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Well done to Burren Cycling Club, getting access to use private land is never easy.

From riding by roads above coast road the views on this should be magic.

I was having a drink of whiskey or six in Ballyvaughan last autumn and from memory the club get out on these routes pretty regular and have built good relationships with landowners.

There has to be huge demand for not too technical mtb routes/sportives for the ordinary guy looking to have a go.

Now to get that mtb fixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

am really hoping in the next 12 months to rejig my bikes to fit in an MTB and if so would love to give events like this a go, sounds fantastic :)

Would it be possible to do the route on a cyclo cross bike

Hi Silver Campaign
    Not a chance on a CX bike. You'll defo need a mtb i'd say the ideal would be a XC full sus but most of the guys in the club ride hardtails. The terrain is rough so the ideal set up would be to run tubeless tyres. There may be an option to rent bikes for the day, keep an eye on the facebook page for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What are the hoodies like? Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Can you tell me what the estimated finishing time would be for the two distances? Im just deciding which one to do and wondering what time ill be finished at. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

Looking forward to this at the weekend...
    weather might not be great but who cares...

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Has any body heard any word on eating and drinking provided thru the event?

Trying to pack the kit bag here!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Will this be the same route that the caveman had?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Best of luck to everyone organising and riding on this event.I'd loved to have done it,but Saturday's don't suit me.If its ever run on a Sunday I'll be there!!

e-mail sent to all participants with full info. Copy on Ultimate Burren Facebook page

No, its a completely different route. We will be at the back of Aillwee caves for the first half of the long route. Anyone registered got sent an e-mail with info and a link to a map.

Advertisement