Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Dunnes Stores stopped selling Galtee rashers?

Options
  • 03-08-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭

Last week and this week in Cornelscourt - no Galtee rashers :eek:

It's not as if they were simply out of stock - the bacon shelves were stuffed with oddball brands of rashers that they never had before, ne'er a pack of Galtee in sight.

Did I ask any of the staff? No, because head office tells them nothing, I believe they don't even have e-mail.

Has anyone noticed this in other branches? Dunnes are notorious for being 'difficult' with suppliers when they can't screw them into the ground but it tends to backfire if it involves an established brand with a loyal customer base, let's hope the same happens here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

coylemj wrote: »
    Did I ask any of the staff? No, because head office tells them nothing, I believe they don't even have e-mail.

http://www.dunnesstores.com/faqs-contact-us/content/fcp-content

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You're joking - right?

Even Joe Duffy and Conor Pope can't get a response from Dunnes Stores, they just don't give a sh1t about PR. The vast majority of large Irish companies either have a press spokesman/woman who deals with queries or there's a PR company who will field questions and get back with a response, Dunnes Stores have neither.

In the days when Ben Dunne Jr. ran the place, the response to every awkward question from a journalist was the same: 'Dunnes Stores better value beats them all'. His sister Margaret Heffernan has a simple philosophy, no comment by which I mean they just don't respond at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No Galtees in Dunnes Stores would be like no Coke in McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

coylemj wrote: »
    You're joking - right?

Even Joe Duffy and Conor Pope can't get a response from Dunnes Stores, they just don't give a sh1t about PR. The vast majority of large Irish companies either have a press spokesman/woman who deals with queries or there's a PR company who will field questions and get back with a response, Dunnes Stores have neither.

In the days when Ben Dunne Jr. ran the place, the response to every awkward question from a journalist was the same: 'Dunnes Stores better value beats them all'. His sister Margaret Heffernan has a simple philosophy, no comment by which I mean they just don't respond at all.

Unless you are the press, I don't see the relevance of that rant, even if it is correct in regards to the press.

Have you even tried e-mailing them? I know for a fact that e-mails from customers have gotten responses and gotten problems sorted in the past.

You could also try asking the deli manager or store manager, who should know even if staff don't.

It's a bit weird slating them for not saying anything when you can't be bothered even trying to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I bought Galtee Thick Cut in Dunnes last Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I got some in Cork on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

JohnC. wrote: »
    Unless you are the press, I don't see the relevance of that rant, even if it is correct in regards to the press.

The 'relevance' is that I was responding to the second poster who provided me with a link to the 'Contact Us' page on the DS website.
    JohnC. wrote: »
    Have you even tried e-mailing them? I know for a fact that e-mails from customers have gotten responses and gotten problems sorted in the past.

I have e-mailed them before and got no response, not even an acknowledgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Food & Drink - think this is a better home for this discussion

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Individual stores sometimes have a falling out with brands (or the reps) & delist them temporarily as a punishment. Sometimes it's done to strong arm them into a promotion or discount. Dunnes are notorious for this.

Call Galtee themselves, they'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

The last time I got them they did a disappearing act in the frying pan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,920 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The last time I got them they did a disappearing act in the frying pan

I reckon galtee had a lot of complaints because the last few packs I got have been decent. They were pathetic there for a while. They would tear apart they were so thin when prising them out of the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why the brand loyalty for Galtee?
    They are a mass produced, bog standard rasher, I've never found them to be very different to any other regular rashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I reckon galtee had a lot of complaints because the last few packs I got have been decent. They were pathetic there for a while. They would tear apart they were so thin when prising them out of the package.

That was the problem I had. Drove me crazy, I'll never buy them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Cornelscourt is just going through a game of musical chairs of stock on shelves while they do their deli / meat section refurb. They don't have the normal range of stuff out, and move some stock to temporary locations. I doubt they have dropped Galtee rashers, more likely just a temporary thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mars Bar wrote: »

Used to get their smoked streaky rashers all the time until they introduced the better value packaging. They were okay before but they were absolutely appalling after. They even had this new weird smell while cooking, tasted awful and were just full of water. They improved about two months after but were still fairly poor. My boss in a previous existence remembers a competition (in dairygold of all places iirc) they had to see how much weight they could add to some bacon. The results were scary.

Took me ages to find a decent streaky rasher. Get them in marks now. 22 rashers in a pack. Wafer thin, don't spit moisture everywhere. Love them.

Advertisement