Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10 anniversary update 2 Aug

• 03-08-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

I just updated my Windows 10 to the 2 August version of the operating system, on an old PC and notice that the update re-sets all your security preferences back to "tell Microsoft everything" about you and your PC etc.

Anyone whose machine receives the update and is concerned about security and/or privacy needs to switch off all these selections. Do not opt for the default settings in the set-up process - select configure manually.

Thank you Microsoft for keeping the "tyranny of the default". Info thieving **stards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

win10 has been doing that reversion to default blab option with loads of updates.

you cant trick it into using group policy to disable info sharing features anymore either (by pretending there was a organisation policy being deployed) and I noticed that windows defender now has a nice "if you disable this we will re-enable it for you in the future to ensure you are protected" listed in its options. If I manually disable an option I dont want the default reaction to be deciding I didnt want to do that in teh first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

I noticed that my Win 10 machine has slowed down very noticeably since I installed the 2 Aug update. I had to fiddle around with a registry entry under performance changing the memory allocation from automatic to max and min sizes recommended by Windows.

Adjust performance > advanced > Virtual memory > change > un-check 'automatically manage paging ....' and replace with recommended values for min and max.

This is a Dell 7510 workstation with 1TB SSD, and the absence of QC at Microsoft in their update creation and testing process crippled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Might be a good time to migrate to Linux. I upgraded an old laptop to Windows 10 a few months back and didn't really like it. It was also a bit sluggish for me. I have since installed Linux Mint 18 (Xfce version) and am really liking it. I'm not too worried about eye candy.

I am already experienced with *nix for along time now, but Linux Mint is setup in such a way that a transition for new users should be pretty painless. I'd recommend you boot a live usb/cd image and see what you think.

I agree and have two Linux machines. However the issues of support for certain software and hardware (eg printers) limits the option. I am also concerned about the consistency of Word or files which have been massaged by Word competitors in the Linux world.

If one writes a book in a Word compatible word processor, one has to be sure that the software used is 100% Word compatible - because the publishing systems are totally dominated by MS Word, or high resolution PDFs produced from Word sourced docs. One does not want a book to be rejected because of some tiny file incompatibility.

I have noticed that since I installed Win 10 'Millennium' "upgrade" that it has re-set many of the settings I had in my system. I deliberately set a restore point before installing the Millennium version so I could move back in time.

I tried to a system restore, and now find that the Millennium half baked 'service pack' minimises the system restore cache size - so I only have three restore points, all later than 3 August. At best this is appalling amateurism from Microsoft, and it may be nasty, twisted deliberate act on their behalf.

I am now stuck with a Windows 10 workstation with 1 TB of SSD that is uselessly slow. I have never been an Apple fan - but my recently purchased iMac runs ten times as fast on a 360 Mbits/sec internet connection. And unlike other forms of Linux/Unix runs many applications one expects to run on Windows - eg Adobe Creative cloud. And I plan to buy some more Apple iMacs for other locations. The iMac boots faster, has a better screen (5k), and the keyboard is clean (no gaps between the keys). It also appears more secure requiring a password each time new software is installed.

The main issue for a switcher is that Apple does everything the other way around - eg close and minimise window icons are on the left, not the right. Which presumably is a copyright defense issue - the real origin of window interfaces is Xerox Park in the 1980s.

Furthermore Apple gives one full control over when software updates are applied. Windows purports to give some control, but often sneaks in a patch with no warning.

And Apple doesn't appear to sell back door access to their customers' products to corrupt or not so corrupt governments or other entities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement