Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grace Jones, Olympia Theatre, 21st September

Options
  • 03-08-2016 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Tickets on sale Friday at 0900.

Artist presale at 0900 tomorrow. She doesn't have a fan club so I don't know where the presale codes are coming from...but if anyone has a spare one please PM me ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Kompany

I assume it will be standing downstairs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭xlogo

atgate wrote:
    Artist presale at 0900 tomorrow. She doesn't have a fan club so I don't know where the presale codes are coming from...but if anyone has a spare one please PM me ;-)

I'll also take spares if there are 2 available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Sold out in a few minutes it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Kompany

Sold out in less than 3 minutes

€49 tickets now on offer by Seatwave - a ticketmaster company for €170
    Nice 350 % margin when you are have a monopoly

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

A few minutes?? A few seconds more like but the really galling thing is that Ticketmaster have the cheek to redirect you to their subsidiary company Seatwave where you can buy the tickets you missed out on only seconds earlier at three times their face value. This is a scam and downright theft. It's about time Ticketmaster were eradicated from the face of the earth, they're just scum who's sole purpose is to fleece fans at every opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

For a one off gig like this in a small venue ,hardly any tickets go on public sale.
    There are huge amounts reserved for promoters,the artist ,business insiders etc .
    Ticketmaster divert a portion for resale too.

Former Ticketmaster CEO explains why its so hard /nigh impossible to get tickets for in demand events,its a very good read
    https://theringer.com/ticket-industry-problem-solution-e4b3b71fdff6#.v14m1bojm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

A few minutes?? A few seconds more like but the really galling thing is that Ticketmaster have the cheek to redirect you to their subsidiary company Seatwave where you can buy the tickets you missed out on only seconds earlier at three times their face value. This is a scam and downright theft. It's about time Ticketmaster were eradicated from the face of the earth, they're just scum who's sole purpose is to fleece fans at every opportunity.
    Zardoz wrote: »
    For a one off gig like this in a small venue ,hardly any tickets go on public sale.
    There are huge amounts reserved for promoters,the artist ,business insiders etc .

Former Ticketmaster CEO explains why its so hard /nigh impossible to get tickets for in demand events,its a very good read

Regarding gigs in general, do ye reckon that the tickets we see on sale on Seatwave, are held back by Ticketmaster and then put on sale on Seatwave by Ticketmaster at the same time as the general Ticketmaster sale, or whether or not they are tickets that were actually bought by members of the public and then put on sale on Seatwave, by the people who bought the tickets on the day of general sale to the public.

I'm wondering, if anyone who buys a ticket for sold out events, on Seatwave or Get Me In, has any way of finding out the identity of the person, or organisation, who sells a ticket on Seatwave or Get Me In.

I guess not? But it doesn't sound right, that Grace Jones tickets were up on Seatwave pretty much as soon as it sold out through Ticketmaster. Why would members of the general public, assuming they are fans of the band or singer, go the trouble of buying tickets as soon as tickets are put on sale, on the morning of general sale, and then put them up on sale, straight away on Seatwave?

I noticed on ticketmaster, that with the Grace Jones gig, the ticket limit is eight tickets per person. I'd wonder, with a gig that sells out so quickly, is it possible for anyone to actually buy eight tickets at the one time, if the demand is so huge.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/grace-jones-the-musical-of-my-dublin-09-21-2016/event/180050FDCD566CBF?artistid=735403&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Regarding gigs in general, do ye reckon that the tickets we see on sale on Seatwave, are held back by Ticketmaster and then put on sale on Seatwave by Ticketmaster at the same time as the general Ticketmaster sale, or whether or not they are tickets that were actually bought by members of the public and then put on sale on Seatwave, by the people who bought the tickets on the day of general sale to the public.

I'd say, without a doubt, that Ticketbastard keep plenty of tickets for themselves to sell on their own secondary sites, there's no regulation so they can do whatever they want, have a read of this, Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) had a right go at this practice a few years back, a great read

http://www.stereogum.com/58831/trent_reznor_blasts_ticketmaster_and_the_artists_w/news/

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'd say, without a doubt, that Ticketbastard keep plenty of tickets for themselves to sell on their own secondary sites, there's no regulation so they can do whatever they want, have a read of this, Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) had a right go at this practice a few years back, a great read

http://www.stereogum.com/58831/trent_reznor_blasts_ticketmaster_and_the_artists_w/news/

What I find bizarre about these resale sites, is the seemingly randomness of the prices of tickets, on Seatwave or Get Me In, where you'll see pretty big differences between the prices of tickets being offered, for the same gig.

What I find bizarre about these resale sites, is the seemingly randomness of the prices of tickets, on Seatwave or Get Me In, where you'll see pretty big differences between the prices of tickets being offered, for the same gig.

Alot of the listings are not genuine ,they are whats called phantom listings.
    Someone may list the same tickets for different amounts in multiple listings.
    Often times the seller may not even have the tickets but if someone is willing to pay a crazy amount for tickets ,they will source them or cancel the sale.
    I guess not? But it doesn't sound right, that Grace Jones tickets were up on Seatwave pretty much as soon as it sold out through Ticketmaster. Why would members of the general public, assuming they are fans of the band or singer, go the trouble of buying tickets as soon as tickets are put on sale, on the morning of general sale, and then put them up on sale, straight away on Seatwave?
    Those tickets are being sold by touts or resellers not genuine fans.
    Seatwave buy tickets themselves to tout ,it was uncovered on a documentary a few years ago ,Viagogo the same.
    The promoter often give them batches of tickets to resell too with a 90-10 split.
    Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) had a right go at this practice a few years back,
    Thats a good article allright.
    Some people suggest credit card entry but thats a bit of a scam as touts are buying the tickets on prepaid credit cards and just shipping these instead .
    Alot of times Ticketmaster change the ticket type to print at home to sell on Stubhub.
    Just look at Adeles US tour at the moment ,loads of seats that are meant to be credit card entry being sold on Stubhub as pdf tickets.
    The system is completely rotten.

• Advertisement

Alot of the listings are not genuine ,they are whats called phantom listings.
    Someone may list the same tickets for different amounts in multiple listings.
    Often times the seller may not even have the tickets but if someone is willing to pay a crazy amount for tickets ,they will source them or cancel the sale.

Those tickets are being sold by touts or resellers not genuine fans.
    Seatwave buy tickets themselves to tout ,it was uncovered on a documentary a few years ago ,Viagogo the same.
    The promoter often give them batches of tickets to resell too with a 90-10 split.

Thats a good article allright.
    Some people suggest credit card entry but thats a bit of a scam as touts are buying the tickets on prepaid credit cards and just shipping these instead .
    Alot of times Ticketmaster change the ticket type to print at home to sell on Stubhub.
    Just look at Adeles US tour at the moment ,loads of seats that are meant to be credit card entry being sold on Stubhub as pdf tickets.
    The system is completely rotten.

I've heard of that happening on various touting sites, where the seller doesn't actually have a ticket, despite listing tickets for sale, but I had thought with Seatwave or Get Me In, that because they are affiliated with Ticketmaster, that there are actual tickets to sell?

Edit: But now that I think of it, there was a caller to liveline last November, who had bought a ticket for U2 through Get Me In, and it ended up that the ticket did not materialise.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/programmes/2015/1126/749422-liveline-thursday-26-november-2015/

https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/liveline-american-u2-fan-pays-2000-for-tickets-that-were-not-available

http://www.joe.ie/life-style/audio-this-american-woman-paid-e2000-for-u2-that-werent-even-there/521277

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did you know she played Electric Picnic last year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

and she's playing Metropolis festival in RDS later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Might free up some tics for this gig knowing she'll be back for Metropolis, I'm looking for a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

leakyboots wrote: »
    Might free up some tics for this gig knowing she'll be back for Metropolis, I'm looking for a ticket!
    Do you think some tickets might free up? They're going for silly money at the moment on Seatwave

I just noticed that a second gig has been added for the following night the 22nd.
    Tickets on sale at 9am in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

was offered circle row E tickets just there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well.....what was it like???

more pop opera than concert??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Astonishing gig, brilliant band behind her too inc her son on percussion. Played for a little of an hour and a half. She's got a dirty mouth!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh ya? what did she say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The following neatly sums up the night:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/grace-jones-delivers-an-awesome-transcendental-performance-in-dublin-s-olympia-1.2801699

This from a 68 year old woman in a leotard and high heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Its funny* how the lads selling outside never seem to have any problem getting tickets :confused::confused:

*That's funny - pi$$ed off, not funny Ha ha :mad:

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Its funny* how the lads selling outside never seem to have any problem getting tickets :confused::confused:

*That's funny - pi$$ed off, not funny Ha ha :mad:

Those guys generally buy and sell tickets on the night ,i.e buy off one person sell to another,they don't buy tickets day one .

They released alot of extra tickets today as usual ,ones they couldnt sell on Seatwave and elsewhere,same old story ,build the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Walked out tonight an hour in of my favourite female artist Grace Jones, at the Olympia.

She was splendid (as ever), have seen her three times before including EP last year.

What an absolute cesspit of a venue.

No matter where I stood downstairs some bearded drone of a security guard told me to move. Couldn't see a fookin thing.

Wine tasted of paint stripper.

Roll on Metropolis in November.

Advertisement