Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant notice

Options
  • 04-08-2016 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

I am unable to access the PRTB website at the moment and I would like to know what's considered a reasonable notice to finish my tenancy, I rented a room and agreed a monthly fee, I paid the first month as well as a deposit and used the room for a couple of days only, there is no lease or contract.
    Should I expect to get my deposit back taking into consideration that I am giving almost 4 weeks notice or is it completely lost? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Are you living with the landlord? Are you renting directly from the landlord?

You'll have very little comeback on a deposit if you've only lived there 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

RossieMan wrote:
    Are you living with the landlord? Are you renting directly from the landlord?

I am renting from the landlord.
    RossieMan wrote:
    You'll have very little comeback on a deposit if you've only lived there 2 days.

Can you explain why exactly? I am giving almost 4 weeks notice and I am leaving the place just as I got it, no issues or damages at all.

You didn't give what notice you were planning on giving. From your op it looked like you wanted to leave straight away.

Talk to your landlord, no one here can tell you either way. It's up to the discretion of the landlord. They will have to pay to have it readvertised anyway.

RossieMan wrote:
    You didn't give what notice you were planning on giving. From your op it looked like you wanted to leave straight away.

I changed my first post to add more details.

RossieMan wrote:
    Talk to your landlord, no one here can tell you either way. It's up to the discretion of the landlord. They will have to pay to have it readvertised anyway.

So I am not protected by the PRTB rules?

The landlord may ask you to re assign your tenancy. Usually there is a lease in place however.

As I said, nobody can tell you if you'll get 100% of your deposit back, you'll have to talk to your landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

it really depends on the legal set up.is there a lease? is the LL living in the same house? I'd call threshold for advice.

Cork 021 4278848 , Dublin 1890 334 334 or Galway 091 563080

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If did not sign any fixed term tenancy, and you are giving four weeks notice (ie have paid rent for the month), then you absolutely should get the deposit back.

it really depends on the legal set up.is there a lease? is the LL living in the same house? I'd call threshold for advice.
    No lease and the LL doesn't live in the house.
    If did not sign any fixed term tenancy, and you are giving four weeks notice (ie have paid rent for the month), then you absolutely should get the deposit back.
    This is exactly my situation, advertising fees and finding a new tenant are none of my business and shouldn't affect my deposit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

alwald wrote: »
    No lease and the LL doesn't live in the house.

This is exactly my situation, advertising fees and finding a new tenant are none of my business and shouldn't affect my deposit at all.

would agree. Don't let yourself be pulled into any situation like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

If there is no agreed upon length of tenure then all you are obliged to give is your required notice which, if you have been in accommodation for less than 6 months is 28 days.

You will owe no more to the landlord and so long as everything is okay in the apartment you should get your full deposit back.

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/ending-your-tenancy/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It depends......
    The OP may have been replacing someone who had the room- in a defacto reassignment of the lease- which of course should be handled by the remaining housemates (ideally by the person vacating the room). If so- they may be responsible for reassigning the lease- and could potentially be jointly and severally responsible for the rent until such time as it is done so.

Its actually messier than a lot of people are indicating here. It would be neater if it was a rent-a-room situation where you could simply approach the owner and make an agreement among yourselves- here- you have the others, and whatever the original lease governing the property may be.

A copy of the original lease- will have the pertinent details in it- the person in charge of the lease will give you a copy if you request it.

I wouldn't necessarily say no lease exists- it may very well do.

Advertisement