Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH question

Options
  • 04-08-2016 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi there.
    As per this post, I live in an area scheduled for rural FTTH rollout. However, my road does not seem to have a blue line on it, indicating that no service will be available to me. 

Are these blue lines set in stone, or is there any possibility of the FTTH coverage of an exchange being extended? Currently it seems that all the FTTH derives from cabinet CUR1_003. Is there a reason that it is confined to only this cabinet?

I am 1km physically from the closest cabinet (CUR1_007), but the phone line comes from the other direction, and the nearest cabinet is 3km that way (CUR1_001), so there's no possibility of service from FTTC.

What is the reasoning and rationale for the locations of the FTTH runs within a given exchange?

DSL is *NOT* an option:
    Eir wrote:
    Speeds of up to 512Kb are available at your home

I'd be quite interested to know the plans for situations like this where an exchange is both FTTC & FTTH, but I can get neither.

As an aside, this saga has been going on over ten years, since my very first post on Boards!

fibre_annotated.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Hey Eir, any chance of some input on this? Even if it's just to say I'm SOL, at least I'd know...

So, looking at my exchange on the map, it says the following:
    eir wrote:
    Curragh Camp (Kildare)
    [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]1240 premises in this exchange can now access up to 100Mb/s fibre broadband. Estimated date for first Live FTTH Fibre Services with speeds up to 1000Mb/s is Winter 2016/ Spring 2017[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]What I would like to know is what happens after the first FTTH customers go live? Is ther a plan (even a tentative one) to extend the FTTH to the rest of the customers?[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Dero wrote: »
    Hi there.
    As per this post, I live in an area scheduled for rural FTTH rollout. However, my road does not seem to have a blue line on it, indicating that no service will be available to me. 

Are these blue lines set in stone, or is there any possibility of the FTTH coverage of an exchange being extended? Currently it seems that all the FTTH derives from cabinet CUR1_003. Is there a reason that it is confined to only this cabinet?

I am 1km physically from the closest cabinet (CUR1_007), but the phone line comes from the other direction, and the nearest cabinet is 3km that way (CUR1_001), so there's no possibility of service from FTTC.

What is the reasoning and rationale for the locations of the FTTH runs within a given exchange?

DSL is *NOT* an option:
    Originally posted by Eir
    Speeds of up to 512Kb are available at your home

I'd be quite interested to know the plans for situations like this where an exchange is both FTTC & FTTH, but I can get neither.

As an aside, this saga has been going on over ten years, since my very first post on Boards!

fibre_annotated.png
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Dero,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm afraid we would be unable to advise until works have commenced and service is active in your area. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Once the service is active we can then test your line and advise of its capability.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

Thanks Pamela. I'll keep an eye out for updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Dero wrote: »
    Thanks Pamela. I'll keep an eye out for updates.
    No problem  Dero,

-Pamela 

• Advertisement
Advertisement