Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant Identification

Options
  • 04-08-2016 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I received a plant recently as a work gift and it doesn't seem to be doing too well. I was wondering if anyone could identify it and have any tips on caring for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭seamusmacc

I think its called Chamaedora Palm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You are probably over watering it, the compost looks very damp. Lift the pot out and see if there is water standing in the outer pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

I think another issue was that I left it beside a window where it was getting a lot of direct sunlight. Is it better to under water this plant as opposed to over watering? Would a spray bottle be better than watering the soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, it needs water, just not too much. I have one that I water when I think of it, which is probably about every couple of weeks or so. Let it dry out somewhat before re-watering. On balance err on the side of underwatering. It doesn't like full sun but needs light. I would cut off the dead and partially dead fronds, and possibly that very long one, and let it try again.

Take it out of the cache pot and stand it on a folded newspaper to drain off the excess water. Ideally you should ease the plant out of the pot (lie it on its side) and let the compost dry a bit if it is very wet, but this can be a bit tricky. Did you re-pot it? the pot looks a bit big for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Thanks for the reply. I cut off the dead fronds. Out of curiosity why would I cut the long one?

I did actually re-pot it recently because someone suggested to me that the soil was far too wet and would be better off in new soil.

Another issue i think I may have had was that it was sitting beside a window that got large amounts of sun throughout the day and I think it may not have liked this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement