Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Workshop Questions

Options
  • 04-08-2016 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭

Home workshop thread on how-to and why does this keep happening.

Why does the adjustment screw in my brake capliers (105) on the front and back brakes keep coming loose? It's making the pad rub the rim after about 20kms, as if cycling wasn't hard enough. How can I fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

threadloc or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

mloc123 wrote: »
    threadloc or similar?

Thanks but I don't want to completely lock the screw. Just maybe make it tighter in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Do you have the proper serrated washer between the brake and the frame. see link (but there are others available). Light threadloc can work also and is pretty standard on new brake threads.

http://www.slanecycles.com/campagnolo-brre021-serrated-brake-washer-p-23917.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Thanks but I don't want to completely lock the screw. Just maybe make it tighter in the thread.

There are different versions of thread lock and none of them are really entirely permanent.

It's the screw that adjusts the distance of the pad to the rim at the top of the caliper. Not the screw that bolts it to the frame/forks.

• Advertisement

It's the screw that adjusts the distance of the pad to the rim at the top of the caliper. Not the screw that bolts it to the frame/forks.

They generally have that thread lock on them similar to how brakes on a hybrid would have some on those little adjusting screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That should not loosen. Are you sure it's set up correctly?

Could you post a pic?

I assume it's the centre adjustment screw.

caliper-brake-with-callouts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

here's a video that goes through it in general

It might simply need locking compound as suggested above...though it seems odd.

To me the weird thing is that you're having problems with both calipers.

Could it be something else like calipers not being mounted to the frame tightly enough or the pivots sticking because they're dirty and/or need lube? Could even be a problem with the wheels?

NiallBoo wrote: »
    here's a video that goes through it in general

It might simply need locking compound as suggested above...though it seems odd.

To me the weird thing is that you're having problems with both calipers.

Could it be something else like calipers not being mounted to the frame tightly enough or the pivots sticking because they're dirty and/or need lube? Could even be a problem with the wheels?

It's like the road vibrations are loosening them ala Mission Impossible magic! I'll take a pic this evening but it is the Centre Adjustment Screw I'm referring to in the above picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Try moving the screw to a central position and then re-centre with the main frame bolt. Loosen an re tighten if needed.
    The screw is for minor adjustment only and may not be engaging if original fitment is way out.

clog wrote: »
    Try moving the screw to a central position and then re-centre with the main frame bolt. Loosen an re tighten if needed.
    The screw is for minor adjustment only and may not be engaging if original fitment is way out.

Thanks Clog, yeah I tried that on the back. Loosened the main frame bolt, let the caliper find it's central position and retightened it. No joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It's like the road vibrations are loosening them ala Mission Impossible magic! I'll take a pic this evening but it is the Centre Adjustment Screw I'm referring to in the above picture.

I still think threadloc would stop it vibrating loose while it would still be adjustable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are they 5700 or 5800? I find the spring on the 5700 to be poor and They don't open after pulling the Brake. Upgrading brakes soon.

ted1 wrote: »
    Are they 5700 or 5800? I find the spring on the 5700 to be poor and They don't open after pulling the Brake. Upgrading brakes soon.

Thanks ted. I check it out at the weekend. Pretty sure they're 5700. Humm, it's a conundrum. Maybe this threadlock stuff is the way to go as long as it doesn't effectively seize the screw.

It's gotten to the point that I have to bring a screw driver with me or have a hard workout session!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Do what any self respecting cyclist would do in this kind of situation and use it as an excuse to bin the lot and buy a nice shiny Dura Ace group set .

Indeed, brakes are important and when they don't work it's time for a bike upgrade.

Advertisement