Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping eurosport

Options
  • 04-08-2016 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

I know there are other places for TV queries but eurosport is low on most people's priorities outside of cycling!

Just wondering if it's possible to get eurosport with Eir? If anyone here has it. I had a decent set up with virgin and bt sport for moto gp etc but they've ditched that. Eurosport for cycling coverage is a deal breaker though if I move to another provider

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Eir don't have eurosport I rang them myself last week about it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Eir dont have it and from what I've been told unlikely ever have it (wife works in Eir and sits beside the content manager for EirVisison).

I use the app on my phone, ipad, laptop and xbox. Keeps every one happy as I can watch the races while the kids (the real bosses) watch the cartoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Eurosport is the only reason I'm still with Sky although in considering a Dreambox as I'm out if contract with Sky in 2 weeks time but whatever I do, just like you, not having Eurosport is a deal breaker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Eurosport is the only reason I'm still with Sky although in considering a Dreambox as I'm out if contract with Sky in 2 weeks time but whatever I do, just like you, not having Eurosport is a deal breaker.

i'd go with a dream box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Itv4 covers a lot of the cycling. Their coverage of tour de france was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

godtabh wrote: »
    i'd go with a dream box.

Aren't they illegal and reliant on card sharing something which Sky is phasing out by bringing in HD boxes that have further encryption.

Any time I hear fellas getting those dodgy boxes the guy who sells it doesn't answer calls and the box fails after a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I recently ditched Sky and rely on Eurosport Player subscription and other sources.

I watch the player on either the laptop or streamed to a TV via a ChromeBox.

Other sources are useful for when I'm more than a three hours or so behind, which is a limitation of the player.

ITV4 is good but my TV won't record and I haven't yet emerged from the which-Saorview-recording-box-to-buy rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Aren't they illegal and reliant on card sharing something which Sky is phasing out by bringing in HD boxes that have further encryption.

Any time I hear fellas getting those dodgy boxes the guy who sells it doesn't answer calls and the box fails after a couple of months.

It's a grey area. They're not illegal to buy or have but the encryption codes is not strictly legal.

Sky have tried to do away with them but haven't been successful. Dream boxes offer the full range including HD programs that Sky offer. A friend of mine is an agent for them and had had his 4 years with virtually no downtime or problems in that time. As long as he pays the subs the box works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭happytramp

Eurosport player is decent but since you can't record stages to watch (and fast forward through) at your leisure..... that's a deal breaker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Eir have Eurosport **does a little dance**. Watched the last 10 kms of the P-N last night :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

happytramp wrote: »
    Eurosport player is decent but since you can't record stages to watch (and fast forward through) at your leisure..... that's a deal breaker too.

I got a year for about €20 but had to sign up using a VPN/Proxy service to pretend I was in the UK.

Better than what I had which was basic Sky so no Eurosport. The app has great potential asthey have some basic overlays with it to show you positions.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Eir have Eurosport **does a little dance**. Watched the last 10 kms of the P-N last night :cool:

Since when?

Thats my eurosport sub gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Itv4 covers a lot of the cycling. Their coverage of tour de france was excellent.

Once they shut up banging on about the "brits".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hungrycol wrote: »
    As part of their free with broadband like BT Sport/ eir Sport? Or as part of their TV Package?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Farloo

Its on the variety package, an extra 10e a month i'm afriad!

Farloo wrote: »
    Its on the variety package, an extra 10e a month i'm afriad!

I'm already paying the extra for the "experience" TV pack so to me its a big something for nothing.

godtabh wrote: »
    Since when?

Thats my eurosport sub gone!

Since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I watch my cycling on German eurosport. It's free on astra and I can claim that I'm practicing my german.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Just looking at the Eir prices. It looks like i can get Sky Sports included in my package and it will still be cheaper than Virgin. Like many, i've been paying a lot more to Virgin for a package full of channels that i don't watch only because it has Eurosport in it. Time for a switch has come

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Just looking at the Eir prices. It looks like i can get Sky Sports included in my package and it will still be cheaper than Virgin. Like many, i've been paying a lot more to Virgin for a package full of channels that i don't watch only because it has Eurosport in it. Time for a switch has come

Sky sports? Oh goody, loads of crap football to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazermc wrote: »
    Once they shut up banging on about the "brits".
    I don't understand that mentality. It's a British channel aimed at British viewers. What would you expect - that they'd be 'banging on' about the Belgians/French/Germans etc.?

There's no race better than the Irish at 'banging on' about ourselves. We reached the quarter finals of an association football competition 27 years ago and some people are still talking about it as if we had won it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Eir sports has NHL, that'd do it for me. I wish I'd jumped from Sky in December

Advertisement