Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing incandescent to led, and a hack?

Options
  • 04-08-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭

Okay, this is going sound crazy (and it probably is)... but please bear with me for a second.. And apologies in advance if this annoys the real experts in here..

I have a standalone extractor hood and it has built-in lights - basically two 40w candle bulbs (E14). I want to replace incandescent bulbs with LED candles bulbs (4 or 5w), which is straight forward enough.

Here comes the crazy part - what if I take power from the two bulb sockets to power two 2m strips of 12v LEDs as well (LEDs are to function as under counter lights on both sides of the extractor hood)? As far as the extractor hood is concerned, the over all load on the lighting circuit will remain below the original 80W it's designed to support. Of course I will have to figure out where to put the AC to 12v DC transformers etc, make sure wires don't melt in the heat etc (writing inside the hood seems to be rated for up to 110 deg C).

I don't have any straight forward route to connect under cabinet lights to the lighting circuit in kitchen, and the only other option left is to take power from the counter top sockets.. which I was hoping to avoid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

The hood is probably plugged in to a socket above the units. I would be looking at running flexes up through the wall cupboards, maybe tiny mini trunking in a rear corner. That would get you up to where the power for the hood is. That might be your neatest solution.

I don't think LED bulbs will take the heat in a cooker hood, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I did it tbe other way around.
    I cut the original supply wires to the lights in the extractor hood and I connected them to the lighting ciruit for the under-press lighting.
    So the switch on the wall turns on all the lighting strips as well as the lights in the hood. The switch on the hood is now redundant.

I got E14 CFL bulbs from Ikea for the extractor hood. I think only LED bulbs are available now.

Don't put any lighting over the hob other than what's in the extractor hood. Its a horrible greasy steamy place and will kill them.

Advertisement