Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to view websites visited via my router?

Options
  • 04-08-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible for me to check into my router and see the names of websites being looked at live? Would need something that changes the IP addresses into the name of the site. Want to see what my children are accessing every so often pop in to look.

Cheers for any advice or help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Probably the handiest (and cheapest) way is to install Microsoft Family Safety (assuming you're using Windows)

It allows you to monitor, block or approve sites and review their history.

Downside is that for full effectiveness on search monitoring they need to be using Internet Explorer as opposed to Chrome or Firefox etc.

I used it for a few years, you get a weekly report and they know its installed so that in itself modifies behaviour!

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Bosh wrote: »
    Probably the handiest (and cheapest) way is to install Microsoft Family Safety (assuming you're using Windows)

It allows you to monitor, block or approve sites and review their history.

Downside is that for full effectiveness on search monitoring they need to be using Internet Explorer as opposed to Chrome or Firefox etc.

I used it for a few years, you get a weekly report and they know its installed so that in itself modifies behaviour!

HTH

That probably wouldn't work if the kids had their own devices, particularly non-M$FT stuff.

OP - There is probably no way a consumer router would have the reporting capability that you are looking for. There might be parental controls, where you can enforce certain restrictions.

If the router didn't have that capability, you could look into using OpenDNS, which has a parental controls set-up that you could apply.

All of the above are easily circumvented and if the kids have their own smart phones with a data package, then there is little that you can do there. Although Vodafone have some internet safety package on their plans, but again, if the kid gets a PAYG SIM, then again you can't track/block usage with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Some routers do log the domain and internal IP that connected. I had a Netgear WGR614 (only a 802.11g) that did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Use Open DNS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

opendns or see if your router will run tomato r ddwrt/openwrt as some builds give you the option.

don't forget to put in explusions for devices you don't want to monitor though, i tested it at home for a while with a view to using it for customers and inadvertantly discovered my wife googling for things i wish i hadn't known about! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I'm sure she just meant to type 'grandfather clocks'

Advertisement