Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expensive property lying idle for 30 years. Why?

Options
  • 04-08-2016 4:24pm

I understand there are frequently disputes over wills, but a couple of houses on Elgin Road in Dublin 4 lying idle for 30 years is surely caused by something else?
    "...the property requires complete refurbishment throughout given it’s remained uninhabited for over 30 years."

Look at the state of No. 4 Elgin Road (note what seem to be notes that stuck on to the wall in Image 6 - were squatters there for years?) and also No. 6 Elgin Road.

Anybody any idea of why such valuable properties could be allowed to deteriorate so much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looks like the neighbour has built another house at the far end of the garden and the entrance is through the lane going by pictures 7 and 8
    *edit* actually looks like they all have apart from the abandoned house so potential to monetize the property if you're loaded

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

http://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/06/07/vacancy-watch-4-and-6-elgin-road-in-embassy-land/
    Full discussion here. Owned by Albert Reynolds brother. Had planning permission now lapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If someone own's them, then what they do with them doesn't matter as long as they are not breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Just goes to show that we need property taxes that are punitive on properties in urban areas that are empty for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

air wrote: »
    Just goes to show that we need property taxes that are punitive on properties in urban areas that are empty for long periods.

I am im not sure if tax would have any impact here. There are quite a few un-occupied houses, in that area for years that attract high end gardener fees way and above x times average wages or whatever tax due

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Trouble is, such taxes would quickly be applied to occupied houses as well.
    An example is Rates on commercial buildings and spaces. It matters not if it is rented or idle. You might not be able to get your wee shop rented, but the Council/Corpo will still require paying regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Trouble is, such taxes would quickly be applied to occupied houses as well
    How could a vacant property or landbanking tax be applied to occupied houses?

daithiK1 wrote: »
    I am im not sure if tax would have any impact here. There are quite a few un-occupied houses, in that area for years that attract high end gardener fees way and above x times average wages or whatever tax due

I don't doubt it but at least society would be getting something back in that case for the loss of the property's utility.

Everyone has their own views on taxation policy but in my opinion efficiency should be at it's core. It should be structured in such a way as to encourage optimal utilisation of public resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i know a nice house with a large garden,in a great location.empty ,windows boarded up.
    they applied for permission to extend it in 2006.
    house is empty for 10-15 years .
    Then the crash happened.
    the owner may have died, the owner could be short on money to fix the house up.
    They may be waiting for prices to go.
    the owner could have died ,and have no relatives in ireland.
    Theres 1000,s of empty houses in ireland.
    it would be worth maybe 100-140k at the moment.
    its about 30 years old at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

People in nursing homes are often living for 20 years. Family don't want to sell their house or the person themselves doesn't want to rent or sell their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

air wrote:
    Everyone has their own views on taxation policy but in my opinion efficiency should be at it's core. It should be structured in such a way as to encourage optimal utilisation of public resources.

That's not a public resource. It's a private house. Who are you going to tax next? Old people living in big houses by themselves? Apply a bedroom tax like in the UK? Personally I am all for the freedom to do what you want with your own property.

Family may want to wait for the owner to pass away then the person named in the will gets the house,
    Or its given to 1 or more of the persons named in the will.
    Its risky to spend your money on repairs etc if you don,t currently own the house .

Personally I am all for the freedom to do what you want with your own property.

So I can build a 40 storey extension on my house? Turn my house into a nightclub?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

So I can build a 40 storey extension on my house? Turn my house into a nightclub?

I think you'll find you won't get planning permission for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Would squatter's rights apply here?

I think you'll find you won't get planning permission for that.

Asking for permission and doing what ever you want are mutually exclusive.

I think to get squatters rights you need to live in a building a no of years,
    A house with no esb supply,or water ,that could be difficult to do.
    planning permission laws laws are there for a reason,
    you can,t open a pub, club,disco in the middle of a housing estate ,
    Just cos you own a house there .
    property rights have limits .
    there was a bloke who moved into a empty private 3 storey house near stephens green.
    Last time i read he is fighting the council to stay there .
    He is there for years .http://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/news/what-are-squatters-rights-exactly-308255.html
    i know people who moved into empty council flats .15 years ago,
    when the council had 100,s of empty flats ,
    now the council,seals all flats ,boards them up .
    if they are empty for a few weeks.

ie you could move into a flat ,put a new lock on the door .
    go to rent office, they would give you a rent book,
    pay the rent ,And you would become a Legal tenant in a few weeks.
    The council would be happy cos they had rental income,
    the tenant would clean up the flat and decorate it.
    it was better to have someone living in a flat ,than have it empty
    and derelict.
    every block had a few empty units.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

The Elgin Road houses aren't on the Derelict Sites register;

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning/derelict-sites

That's not a public resource. It's a private house. Who are you going to tax next? Old people living in big houses by themselves? Apply a bedroom tax like in the UK? Personally I am all for the freedom to do what you want with your own property.

The house itself isn't a public resource but roads passing it are, the electricity, water and gas services are etc.
    By lying idle, it's preventing someone else from living in that location and making use of those resources or forcing them to commute from further afield to get to the same location.

I'm not in favour of punitive taxation of housing, just of empty houses, they cost us all and provide nothing.
    The turnover of housing is far below what it needs to be in the country, penalising empty houses and urban plots would go a long way to addressing that.

I never said anything about old people living alone, under occupied housing is already penalised to some extent as a single occupant has to pay the full property tax regardless.

theres Empty houses where the owner is passed away,
    the council can take them over if the are a danger to the public.
    They have to wait at least 10 years .
    i know a house 5 years ago ,the council knocked it down to and built a 3storey apartment block there .
    It,s on the corner ,at the end of the street ,so it looks good .
    this house was a 3bed ,200 years old.
    it was derelict 15-20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

The house itself isn't a public resource but roads passing it are, the electricity, water and gas services are etc.
    By lying idle, it's preventing someone else from living in that location and making use of those resources or forcing them to commute from further afield to get to the same location.

I'm not in favour of punitive taxation of housing, just of empty houses, they cost us all and provide nothing.
    The turnover of housing is far below what it needs to be in the country, penalising empty houses and urban plots would go a long way to addressing that.

I never said anything about old people living alone, under occupied housing is already penalised to some extent as a single occupant has to pay the full property tax regardless.

So what about tens of thousands on welfare not working in the city taking up housing that workers would rent. Should we ship them out to the suburbs?

Because pointing the finger at private property owners, look at the amount of land the Government and semi-states own which is not used or fully utilised. It is futile giving out at the odd empty house when DCC has tons of empty sites which they are doing nothing with

I would hardly call a few hundred in LPT paid by a single occupier a burden to them. Property taxes in most of America are low single digits versus our 0.15%. There is plenty living in glorified trailers in poor states in America paying higher LPT than some people living in luxury homes in this country

It's pretty well acknowledged that property taxes are only heading in one direction. When they increase further they will help encourage higher occupancy.
    The welfare recipients and public land issue is a strawman argument.
    Empty residential property is a problem, why not address it simply and easily via taxation?

I can't see any major downsides to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Villa05

A private house that derives much of its value from public resources outside it's door.

Cigarettes and alcohol are private goods that do harm and cost the state money and are rightly heavily taxed.

Housing is a scarce resource, under utilisation of same leads to homelessness and larger bills for the state in housing people amongst lower income groups. It may also lead to building of houses where there may not be requirement for homes as the existing stock is not being fully utilised.

Taxation should be used to promote efficiency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Trouble is, such taxes would quickly be applied to occupied houses as well.
    An example is Rates on commercial buildings and spaces. It matters not if it is rented or idle. You might not be able to get your wee shop rented, but the Council/Corpo will still require paying regardless.

Rates are only demanded on the occupants and only on occupied premises

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

newacc2015 wrote: »
    So what about tens of thousands on welfare not working in the city taking up housing that workers would rent. Should we ship them out to the suburbs?
    To a purpose built ghetto? Maybe. However, this is not a popular view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Tigger wrote: »

False.Rates are payable on empty premises. Some counties, (Meath is one) allows you a 50% reduction if premises is empty. If a tenant shuts up and leaves unpaid rates, the bill attached to the owner/next tenant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

WHy would you assume that all or most people in social housing are not working?

Theres loads of people in social housing working 9-5, full time,in a 3 bed house there may be 2-3 people working.
    As long as the rent is paid ,all the income is declared on the form provided ,the council will allow them to stay there ,
    At least while the main tenant is alive .
    some one could be on a low wage ,working partime, and still get a council flat.
    i heard of a politician in the uk on a high wage, he still lives in a council house.
    At this point 80 per cent plus of council house were bought out,
    by the former tenant anyway.
    Maybe 20-15 per cent of houses are rented from the council.
    may be 2per cent or more of council units are empty ,
    awaiting renovation .

sorry for going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

WHy would you assume that all or most people in social housing are not working?

They did say "on welfare". And didn't give any indication as to the proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Tigger wrote: »

Rates are demanded on vacant commercial premises in Dublin. A partial rebate is allowed but there is not getting off scot free.

Advertisement