Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cassette - what do I need to know?

Options
  • 04-08-2016 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Just had a road bike built up and the only issue is I'd an old cassette which causes the new chain to slip under pressure. What do I need to know before buying a replacement?

The cassette is a 9 speed, 11-26 (probably Shimano 105) on a Shimano r500 wheel. If I was looking about for a new cassette at say 9 speed, 11-28 does it matter which manufacturer or are there any other things I need to be aware of for an easy transition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

poochiem wrote: »
    Just had a road bike built up and the only issue is I'd an old cassette which causes the new chain to slip under pressure. What do I need to know before buying a replacement?

The cassette is a 9 speed, 11-26 (probably Shimano 105) on a Shimano r500 wheel. If I was looking about for a new cassette at say 9 speed, 11-28 does it matter which manufacturer or are there any other things I need to be aware of for an easy transition?

You need to be aware that the chain may not be long enough as you are adding 2 additional teeth to the largest sprocket! Apart from that a Shimano or SRAM 9-speed cassette should be fine. Why not buy a 105 if that's what came off - they're not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

C3PO wrote: »
    Why not buy a 105 if that's what came off - they're not expensive.

I mightn't be looking at enough sites but they don't appear to do 9 speed in 105 so was looking at ultegra or tiagra.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I mightn't be looking at enough sites but they don't appear to do 9 speed in 105 so was looking at ultegra or tiagra.
    The branding within Shimano doesn't matter. I always use Tiagra cassettes with 105/Ultegra groupsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

12-27 9 speed from chain reaction here for 16.99.

Basically any 9 speed should fit except Campagnolo.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-sora-hg50-9-speed-road-cassette/rp-prod387

Okay thanks Boardsies. I went for a read on the basis of your help and Sora (HG50), Tiagra (HG80) and Ultegra are the shimano options for 9 speed. Doesnt seem to be massive differences between them either, just weight (and price). Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 davmurpla

was the chain measure well?? probably is way long and it is not tight enough to fit on the cassette.

Otherwise you can choose from any 9sp either Shimano or Sram. If you are not looking for performance (attending to the weight), go for the cheapest one, which I believe it should be Sora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

11-26 sounds like the gear ratios of a SRAM cassette rather than shimano although both are compatible. As mentioned, chain length is an issue if switching the number of teeth in the biggest sprocket. Once you keep it at a max of 28 you will not have to change derailleur cage.
    And by the way you will hardly ever need the 11 unless you are descending in the Alps or sprinting at over 60kmh

Thanks again, I ordered an SRAM 11-26, which I guess is what's on there already (it must have been swapped from original 10sp shimano one in an earlier visit to a shop). I'm now trying to figure out what chainring I'll need; there are so many variables, when I think I've it narrowed down then they throw another measurement at me to confuse me!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 davmurpla

Thanks again, I ordered an SRAM 11-26, which I guess is what's on there already (it must have been swapped from original 10sp shimano one in an earlier visit to a shop). I'm now trying to figure out what chainring I'll need; there are so many variables, when I think I've it narrowed down then they throw another measurement at me to confuse me!

If you have 9sp go for 9speed chain, shimano or sram as well.Also you can find another brand which is KMC. Again, go for the cheapest if you dont mind the weight.

Advertisement