Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental Groupon Purchase

Options
  • 04-08-2016 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Have the Groupon App, have bought a few deals of it on occasion, on Sunday I was looking at a few deals, clicked in and out of three or four, then stopped looking and put the phone in my pocket. About four hours later I checked my email and saw an email from Groupon confirming my purchase. Checked the phone, App was still live in my pocket and I'd purchased it with my leg.
    Groupon initial reply is they are refusing to refund as the small print said no refunds. But I didn't read that, my leg wasn't able. Not the end of the world as it's €24, but still, I'd rather buy something from them that I actually wanted! Any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You haven't a leg to stand on. Pun not intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Craigevans1985

Cheers for that. I did try to point out that it was dark in my pocket and that I'm not sure that my thigh has the visual acuity needed to read the fine print, but I don't think they really care...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Cheers for that. I did try to point out that it was dark in my pocket and that I'm not sure that my thigh has the visual acuity needed to read the fine print, but I don't think they really care...
    But your hand had the option of shutting down the app and locking your phone, before your leg took control of things!

I know, but the amount of Apps running in the background, ridiculous I know but that's life now. Phone is clearly smarter than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

• Advertisement

Mucco wrote: »

i thought that, but they are saying that the small print over-rides that. I didn't think that was the case? This does not affect your statutory rights sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Mucco wrote: »

The cooling off period only begins when you receive the goods, or if you have entered into a contract for services. It may not apply in the case of the OP.

OP, what did you end up buying?

dudara wrote: »
    The cooling off period only begins when you receive the goods, or if you have entered into a contract for services. It may not apply in the case of the OP.

OP, what did you end up buying?

Beer and comedy show at the laughter lounge. Not the worst purchase given what's on the App!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you really took that line with them then I wouldn't have entertained you either. Being glib rarely elicits a favourable response.

If you really took that line with them then I wouldn't have entertained you either. Being glib rarely elicits a favourable response.

That was only after they told me i should have read the fine print...but i was being glib. Probably if it was €200 i probably would have been more formal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

That's odd as Livingsocial have a great returns policy.

I bought a voucher for a day trip but things came up and wouldn't have been able to use it. I offered to pay extra to the company etc to extend the deadline by a week but they wouldn't/couldn't.

Called Livingsocial to see if they could recommend anything and they offered an instant refund or credit note.

I was delighted and have been happy to buy plenty more from them since.

Maybe give Groupon another call and explain to them again - maybe you'll get someone different.

Update on my "pocket purchase". Groupon flat refused to refund, several emails and chats online and getting nowhere fast.

So I did a bit of research and got a little help from consumerhelp.ie and sent one last email and got a refund.

For anyone interested, this is the cut and paste.

"When a consumer purchases goods or services online, several pieces of legislation combine to provide consumers with protection when agreeing to off-premises contracts. From a consumer perspective, the most important piece of legislation is the EU (Consumer Information, Cancellation and other Rights) Regulations 2013 commonly known as the “Consumer Rights Directive”.

Under this legislation, any consumer has a statutory right to cancel a contract that falls within the scope of the ‘Right to Cancel’ provisions of the CRD. The right to cancel can be exercised at any time up to 14 days after the item or voucher is received (where goods or voucher are purchased) and this information on a consumer’s right to cancel should be provided at the point of agreeing and concluding the contract for the goods.

The statutory rights, under the CRD above, will take precedence over any company policy in your terms and conditions. In other words, my consumer right to cancel will apply with respect to a contract concluded online regardless of any such company policies to the contrary.

Can you send me a written explanation of the basis on which my right to cancel does not apply given that the right to cancel, under the CRD, takes precedence over any terms you may separately apply?"

If anyone needs it, there it is.

Advertisement