Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tales of Retro Regret! (Thx Super_Sonic!)

• 04-08-2016 5:01pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, Nicholas Plump Falconer posted this just there in the General Chat thread
    I really regret selling my copy of Megaman X back in the day. :(

It was the only game related thing I have sold outside of a PS1 with Wipeout 2097 and Allied General (Had played 2097 to death, Allied General cost me about £1-2 secondhand and was using the backwards compatibility on PS2 for the rest of the PS1 games. Game had some trade-in deal at the time - PS1 with any 2 games for some PS2 games).

And it put me in mind of the near countless regrets I've had over the years.
    The missed chances.
    The games sold when I really really should have hung onto them.
    The games we loaned to a "friend" only to never see them again.
    The games or consoles we nearly bought on auctions sites/marketplaces actual and virtual, but took just that little bit too long... :(

So, what sort of tales of sadness have we got out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I let a complete in box Snatcher CD away when selling an imported Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X set. I sold them to fund buying a PS1 at launch.

It haunted me until last year, when I bit the bullet and rebought it...for a LOT more than a PS1 costs....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Falling asleep with my laptop in front of me before a PAL Fatal Fury 2 ended on ebay and it sold for €30. :(
    Passing a huge Snes lot in a charity shop in Dun Laoghaire about 15 years ago and not picking it up :(
    Selling my bloody Sega Aero!! :eek:

Edit - lending Sonic 1 to a kid up the road who I didn't particularly like, he gave it back with no booklet. I now cannot figure out which of my many copies of Sonic is my original as none of them have booklets. :(

Further edit; (I can really keep going here! :pac:)

Picking up my lovely new AGS101 arseways one day and it fell, smashing the hinges on the floor. It has now been superglued back together. :(
    My Pony has fallen off a trolley, ****ING TWICE! still haven't had a chance to power it on again since the last fall so for all I know it's broken :(

Oh yeah, my arcade stools were also recently crushed by an industrial lift.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Falling asleep with my laptop in front of me before a PAL Fatal Fury 2 ended on ebay and it sold for €30. :(
    Passing a huge Snes lot in a charity shop in Dun Laoghaire about 15 years ago and not picking it up :(
    Selling my bloody Sega Aero!! :eek:

Edit - lending Sonic 1 to a kid up the road who I didn't particularly like, he gave it back with no booklet. I now cannot figure out which of my many copies of Sonic is my original as none of them have booklets. :(

Further edit; (I can really keep going here! :pac:)

Picking up my lovely new AGS101 arseways one day and it fell, smashing the hinges on the floor. It has now been superglued back together. :(
    My Pony has fallen off a trolley, ****ING TWICE! still haven't had a chance to power it on again since the last fall so for all I know it's broken :(

Oh yeah, my arcade stools were also recently crushed by an industrial lift.

That's a lot of lousy karma you've built up there,
    You must have been this guy in a previous life
    giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Passing up lots of games I should have bought at the time. Stuff like Border Down I was waiting on the price to drop. Big mistake.

My entire PS1 and N64 collections. Once you go NTSC 60Hz you can't go back and while I have a great collection for both machines it's all mostly useless PAL junk.

Lent my favourite megadrive game ever, Gunstar Heroes, to a kid in the estate for his copy of Decap attack. He moved house down the country the next day. And Decap Attack is a heap of ****e.

Starting do late collecting NES and SNES games. I just didn't have the money at the time but it's killing me now seeing the prices they go at now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sure, Gunstar is only a 6/10 game anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I never got Christmas Nights or anymore Saturn games because I didn't ask (if I did I probably would have), was happy enough with what I had, ah sure. ╮(╯▽╰)╭
    I'm sure I'll think of better ones.

I got an offer of a ticket to the Atlanta E3 in 1997, courtesy of the lads who owned Gamesworld.
    I would have had to pay for my own flights, room and board, but what a trip... a trip I never took :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Basic usuals for me:

Gave my C64 away to my cousin and got nothing for it, sold my nes, misplaced my boxed n64, where does that disappear to?

Sorry i got rid of old PC's too, 286,386,486.

Had a chance to get some BBC micros from my secondary school back in the day and thought they were garbage, I'd say they are in the river.

I sold on several of most consoles I owned prior to 2000, so I must be on my 4th, and longest, period of PS ownership.
    The one I sold in '97 was sold for peanuts with Castlevania SotN, however this does not count in this thread as, many years later, I got the exact same back, having discovered it in a mutual friends cupboard, gathering dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've no huge regrets, just the usual lending stuff to friends and never getting it back or getting it back in rag order. I do regret not picking up more retro stuff when the going was good though! Back when megadrive games could be scored on eBay for peanuts and game station in the uk selling off a load of retro stuff. I got a mint in box purple N64 for 17 pounds. Good times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Passing up lots of games I should have bought at the time. Stuff like Border Down I was waiting on the price to drop. Big mistake.

My entire PS1 and N64 collections. Once you go NTSC 60Hz you can't go back and while I have a great collection for both machines it's all mostly useless PAL junk.

Lent my favourite megadrive game ever, Gunstar Heroes, to a kid in the estate for his copy of Decap attack. He moved house down the country the next day. And Decap Attack is a heap of ****e.

Starting do late collecting NES and SNES games. I just didn't have the money at the time but it's killing me now seeing the prices they go at now.

He moved into my estate and I swopped it for a hulk hogan wrestling figure missing it's hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This is sadness only, no boasting of past triumphs here!

I'm sad because I sold them all and I soundly regret it. Think I'll engrave it on my headstone when I die.

'Here lies the dope that sold a mint earthbound'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Sold all my Jaguar stuff last year, including a working CDROM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Retr0gamer wrote: »

bet you lost the head when that happened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got an offer of a ticket to the Atlanta E3 in 1997, courtesy of the lads who owned Gamesworld.
    I would have had to pay for my own flights, room and board, but what a trip... a trip I never took :(

Ah 1997, the year the PS1 became unstoppable and a struggling Sega was pumping out some crazy games. It would have been an amazing year to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I bought a boxed Snes with about 15 boxed games back in '05 for €60! Guess what this idiot did? I sold it to a mate for €60 about 2 years later because I thought I needed the room and I couldn't make a profit from a friend.

I still have night terrors to this day......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Sold all my Jaguar stuff last year, including a working CDROM...

The CDROM worked!?? Must be the only working one in the Country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Wandering down to Dunnes Stores with my birthday money when I was younger looking for a SNES game to buy. Nothing really stood out but wanted to get one anyway, this quirky, fun cover looked interesting........Pocky & Rocky. Sold it about a year later for pittens.

In NY a few years ago I stayed with a few friends id made there. Was getting rid of his SNES and said I could take a few games when I was going home. Ended up taking so long packing that I forgot them, when I say them I mean boxed copies of R-Type III and ISS :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

We threw a videopac prototype with all the games, and 3 msx in the bin ...

BGOllie wrote: »
    We threw a videopac prototype with all the games, and 3 msx in the bin ...

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

:eek:

yep :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Buying older gear showed me how much of a stinge I am. Number of times I walked past a Gamecube Twilight Princess for 20-30 because it was "just that bit too much" tends to annoy me in retrospect. Especially so when I saw CEX relisted it for 75 within the last year.

I threw you an old Iomega Zip drive a few years ago doing a cull of old ****e... and now I'm on ebay looking for one again to hook up to my Archimedes...

NEVER throw anything out (unless its a CDi)....

I threw you an old Iomega Zip drive a few years ago doing a cull of old ****e... and now I'm on ebay looking for one again to hook up to my Archimedes...

A CDi related Retro Regret would be hanging onto one! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

My copy of Kid Dracula for the Game Boy. It disappeared into the ether along with the rest of my Game Boy collection (bar Tetris?!) and many of the better N64 games. Although these I'm quite sure were looted by school "friends" back in the day. :(

Found the manual for Kid Dracula the other day from 23 years ago with my name and class scribbled on the cover though! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

About 10-12 years ago I popped into Game (it might have been another shop, was almost at the top of Henry street on the left if you are looking at the spire) and they had a whole load of new Jaguar accessories and consoles for sale. All new and sealed and cheap as chips, basically for nothing as they were obviously clearing out "rubbish". I decided against buying for some reason, I don't know why and it still haunts me. Its not the best console, but all those RGB scarts and consoles and multitaps and whatnot are pricey as hell now :(

A tale of almost regret. I was so so close to selling off some rare Apple gear a few years ago. Auction organised, device appraised, all that stuff. But I chickened out at the (almost) last minute. Every year I almost sell the same stuff, but chicken out, but never as close as that time (I even met the person who actually created and designed the hardware, had dinner with him and his missus and got him to sign it) :)
    I know I'll sell that stuff on sometime and that will be a massive regret, so I guess it's a future regret I'm posting about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I've been wrecking my head for others.

I remember a few years back finding my SNES in my parent's attic. It was cared for well during it's time but the controllers were knackered, the rubbesr inside them were worn down from so much use. Buttons and D pad needed to be pressed with huge force in order to make contact. Luckily I bought some re-productions from Play Asia for cheap, almost identical. I regret not taking the rubbers from these and putting them in the originals. Originals got binned. Still the re-pros are good they just miss the logos.

The bigger one probably happened during the SNES days. Dunnes used to be a good place for games back in the 90's, slightly older releases could be picked up for £20 that way. I got great games like the aforementioned Megaman X, Cybernator and The Lost Vikings (hugely under-rated game) that way. Unfortunately I also got Rise of the Robots. :o Yes it is as bad as they say.

EDIT - Fun fact about The Lost Vikings that some of you may know. It was developed by Silicon & Synapse who eventually became Blizzard.

Was so easy back then to pick up some sh*te, no internet and not enough money to be buying magazines (I used to mainly thumb through them in the local shop).

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Had a recent bit of retro regret (should have paid more attention to my phone)

PS2 Tool dev console that I was watching yesterday but forgot about, sold for just £200 :eek:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291834290079?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭smurf492

Not picking up a CD32 a few years vack for cheap compared to the crazy prices being asked for it now. Wanted one so bad when they were originally released but mommy and daddy were having none of it :-D...

smurf492 wrote: »
    Not picking up a CD32 a few years vack for cheap compared to the crazy prices being asked for it now. Wanted one so bad when they were originally released but mommy and daddy were having none of it :-D...

Have they gone mad in price?
    I got mine a couple of years ago.
    I got it for my birthday, but don't think it was stupid money.
    Mad console though, feels very... British, like it was built by men with wrenches and spanners in a garage adjoining an airfield somewhere.
    The ready use of ... ahem... backed up compilations of Amiga 1200 games, some with up to 800 games on each, harkens back to simpler times, when a great complete gaming experience took up as much room as the "Now Loading" screen in a modern game.

Had a recent bit of retro regret (should have paid more attention to my phone)

PS2 Tool dev console that I was watching yesterday but forgot about, sold for just £200 :eek:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291834290079?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You should never have sold the TEST console either!
    Region free PS2 and PS1 gaming, no chips or disc swaps necessary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭smurf492

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Have they gone mad in price? I got mine a couple of years ago. I got it for my birthday, but don't think it was stupid money. Mad console though, feels very... British, like it was built by men with wrenches and spanners in a garage adjoining an airfield somewhere. The ready use of ... ahem... backed up compilations of Amiga 1200 games, some with up to 800 games on each, harkens back to simpler times, when a great complete gaming experience took up as much room as the "Now Loading" screen in a modern game.

Ya there up on ebay for for 500, 600 boxed which is beyond my reach at the moment. I always thought commodore products had that workman feel with a bit of weight behind them!! The search continues...

Master of the Universe

You should never have sold the TEST console either!
    Region free PS2 and PS1 gaming, no chips or disc swaps necessary!

Jeez, I completely forgot I owned one of them, another moment of madness :D

• Advertisement

Jeez, I completely forgot I owned one of them, another moment of madness :D

Both Kerbdog, the brother, and I own TEST PS2s now, and we live next door to each other!
    Maybe he might sell it back to you, don't think he does much with it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I regret not picking up a pce before last year, a lot of the better games seem to sell for crazy money now.
    I regret not listening to Retro and realising that the Cd-i truly is an amazing console.
    I regret not finishing the pal neo geo pocket collection. I stopped at 28 after being distracted by the Dreamcast and Super Famicom.

I regret listening to Retro and believing that the Cd-i truly is an amazing console.

Fixed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Like this?
    Also in the pic is a whopping 8.4GB hard disk and a lovely roller ball mouse !

I wanted for the longest time Steel Battalion for the Xbox.
    Bought it.
    Wouldn't work....
    Found out it was due to the mod chip, sneaky sneaky Capcom
    Kerbdog installed a switch to turn it off when required, Hooray!!!
    Played Steel Battalion about 6 times.
    Died a lot.
    Sat there for another couple of years....
    Sold it on.

Immediately felt guilty and foolish :(
    Retro Regret factor 9.5 :(:(

Bought another last year, for feck all money!
    Retro Regret dissipated!
    Still sitting there, gathering dust, but it is a thing of beauty!!
    Never again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Steve X2 wrote: »
    A tale of almost regret. I was so so close to selling off some rare Apple gear a few years ago. Auction organised, device appraised, all that stuff. But I chickened out at the (almost) last minute. Every year I almost sell the same stuff, but chicken out, but never as close as that time (I even met the person who actually created and designed the hardware, had dinner with him and his missus and got him to sign it) :)
    I know I'll sell that stuff on sometime and that will be a massive regret, so I guess it's a future regret I'm posting about :D

It's very hard to time selling an item like that but in retrospect do you regret not selling it back then since Apple was at its peak and possibly the max value could have been reached then?

I think such a legacy and legendary computer as the Apple will only accrue in value.
    It is not only a nostalgia item due to enthusiasts remembering the good old days of kit computing, but it represents the earliest days of popular home computing and as such is a culturally important artifact and something that museums and governments may well be interested in acquiring.
    The fact that it is an Apple product is possibly irrelevant, particularly in relation to the modern company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It's very hard to time selling an item like that but in retrospect do you regret not selling it back then since Apple was at its peak and possibly the max value could have been reached then?

Well the value of what I have hasnt gone down really(especially as I got it signed and photographed with the designer etc). But it's always a risk holding onto something with a value based on the last one to sell at auction.
    Still, i don't look at these things purely on what they are worth financially, so if the price drops I wont be heartbroken :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Selling sum of my retro gear last year......

But at least some of you guys are having fun..........you B******s

I Joke...

I will get you back again.......

Selling sum of my retro gear last year......

But at least some of you guys are having fun..........you B******s

I Joke...

I will get you back again.......

Don't worry, your old Amiga is getting well looked after :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Faith+1 wrote: »
    The CDROM worked!?? Must be the only working one in the Country!

Make that 2

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Losing my MSX Aleste cartridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Similar story to many I'd imagine... when the PS1 came out I clung onto my SNES collection as I loved it but after a couple of years I really wanted a particular game and, it not being my birthday or Christmas, I decided to trade in my SNES games to get it. I had 8 nice boxed games that I was really reluctant to part with but eventually took the plunge and picked up this absolute classic...

394069.PNG

Needless to say I later regretted that decision, so much so that I'm pretty sure this one act is responsible for me becoming the game hoarder I am today :-)

The game has remained on my shelves since as a reminder of how silly a move that was. I've always considered it my "Mary Worth Telephone"...

394070.png

My earliest Retro Regret was selling on my ZX Spectrum back in early 1988. It marked a departure from videogames until 1990, when I bought a Gameboy at launch. Roughly 19 months of no games, aside from the odd sneaky go of Hellfire and Xybots in the arcades of Dublin.
    If I had of held my nerve it would mean an uninterrupted gaming life, from 1984 to the present day, with neighbours Vic-20's and trips to the arcade before that.

Another, slightly different Retro regret is selling on my launch PS, in perfect working order, to the kid of my manager at the time, only for the laser to go bye bye shortly afterwards, this would have been around 97 or so.
    Felt pretty lousy tbh, but there was nothing I could do, being a penniless junior Staff Nurse at the time, spending my money on my new N64.

Advertisement