Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio 2016

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

2 and a half hours and its 1 set all. Think I'll be catching up in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

The serving has gone to pot. Hard to see Murray losing this, Del Potro getting weaker and more stretched by the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ballyargus wrote: »
    The serving has gone to pot. Hard to see Murray losing this, Del Potro getting weaker and more stretched by the game.

Its pretty poor stuff now.
    Del Potro has been broken 4 games in a row ,he is so tired he has no energy ,its sad really.
    All Murray is doing is pushing the ball back and waiting for Del Potro to make an error.

He has lost his serve 7 times tonight ,dreadful really.

A fit Del Potro would have won this easily,Murray has been very tentative tonight.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Delpo on the comeback here.

Delpo on the comeback here.

Hopefully he can serve this out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hopefully he can serve this out.

I wanna go to bed, but I'd get fomo if I missed the end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Its pretty poor stuff now.
    Del Potro has been broken 4 games in a row ,he is so tired he has no energy ,its sad really.
    All Murray is doing is pushing the ball back and waiting for Del Potro to make an error.

He has lost his serve 7 times tonight ,dreadful really.

A fit Del Potro would have won this easily,Murray has been very tentative tonight.

I agree, particularly considering his excellent record against Murray.

Really hope this goes to a fifth set, I'd be quite happy to see Delpo win it. Perhaps one of the few times ever I'd be rooting against Murray.

That last game was a cracker,Murray won some points he had no right to get to ,amazing court coverage.

Wimbledon title and another Olympic gold, 2016 isn't so bad for Andy :) Hopefully he can add to that in New York.

Who'd have thought that Andy would win more singles gold medals than Federer, Nadal and Djokovic combined?!

• Advertisement

So, final thoughts on the Olympics? I thoroughly enjoyed what I actually got to see anyway, best matches would be Delpo/Djokovic, Delpo/Nadal and Puig/Kerber. Whatever your thoughts on whether or not tennis should be at the Olympics, I doubt anyone can deny that it adds a fascinating dimension to the tour. Seeing just what playing for their countries can drive a player to do, most obviously in the case of Monica Puig, is terrific to watch. Delpo's return to form and Puig's shock gold are no doubt the stories of the tournament imo, as well as Murray's second gold. Hat tip as well to the always terrific Venus who continues to defy the odds. Imagine, she's closer to 40 than she is 30 and she's still winning Olympic medals. It of course sets an intriguing stage for the weeks ahead, primarily will Delpo and Puig bring their form to the regular tour events? Is Murray now the favourite for the US Open? Will Djokovic get back on track? Exciting times ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Enjoyable enough tournament from what i saw of it. Nice to see a bit of passion which is generally missing from the average Masters tournament.

As something of a novelty tournament, I can't see it changing anyones recent career trajectory all that much, except that someone 'new' should grab their first masters at Cinci next week, with the top 5 being all being shagged out....

It is startling how quickly Murray reverts defensive mode when Lendl isn't there with the cattle prod...still, he will be happy enough with his weeks work.

Advertisement