Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy reviewers on youtube?

Options
  • 04-08-2016 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it is possible to block all these ridiculous channels on youtube? I don't mind my daughter watching cartoons for a short while on the laptop but she always ends up watching these things and I don't want them available to her. Tried youtube kids but it's the same problem!

Is anyone else's kids addicted to these things? I find them bizzare on top of being completely annoying. The parents of these kids on youtube are simply abusing them for profit which adds to why I dislike them so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Does anyone know if it is possible to block all these ridiculous channels on youtube? I don't mind my daughter watching cartoons for a short while on the laptop but she always ends up watching these things and I don't want them available to her. Tried youtube kids but it's the same problem!

Is anyone else's kids addicted to these things? I find them bizzare on top of being completely annoying. The parents of these kids on youtube are simply abusing them for profit which adds to why I dislike them so much!

They drive me nuts! Particularly the family who demo the Thomas the tank toys. That mans voice is so annoying, and there's so many videos, that child couldn't have time to be going to school!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Those videos and the unboxing ones have me driven demented. I had to uninstall YouTube kids from my ipad and explain to them (6yo and 4yo) that they are only allowed watch cartoons and kids programmes not "toy shows". I have them limited to Netflix now - peace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't mind them at all. My son finds them very exciting and he's more interested in understanding what the toys are and how they work more so than getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Not quite toy reviews but my little one loves watching the ones where kids open Kinder Surprises and see what they get! Or watching recordings of children playing computer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

skylanders mam and dad,i hate them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

It's not just mine watching these thing! they are BiZzare, opening kinder eggs, adults playing with toys, weird but kids love them. Just let them have a short go on the iPad every now and then. End up watching them.
    Millions of views though

• Registered Users Posts: 39 justinmg1

I thought it was just me, my lad is the same. I've tried clearing my history so many times but they still show up. I hate him watching them. I would prefer him watching his abc's etc but all this crap comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Im glad I'm not the only one who hates them so!
    The whole lot of them just enjoy the hell out of me. The little one has come accross videos of this American family who film their daily lives thinking they're on an mtv reality show or something. They actually were potty training their kid on YouTube, seriously wtf is wrong with some people?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Oh God my little man is the same, I particularly hate that Disney Cars Toys one. I ended up deleting the YouTube app off my ipad and told him it's Netflix or nothing now. I wish it was possible to block specific channels on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The three dots when clicked sometimes have a Not interested in this content. It may stop videos of a similar nature coming up in suggested videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

These videos and watching people play games are where I part ways with the next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Nonsense of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Toy trains 4 u is our favourite! Not too commercial and its more about playing with toys!

But the toy reviewers really take the biscuit.

They must make a mint though, no matter how the kids start out on YouTube they always wind up at these pages!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

My kids 4, 8, and 10 love YouTube.

Always watching people playing minecraft. And surprise egg opening videos.

They want to make their own videos.
    But who can afford to be buying brand new board games and toys every two days for them to be making videos of opening and playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Karmella

Toytrains4u are very good in fairness, and there are a bunch of them where they do the Imaginext toys. My fella loves them and actually tries to make up stories when he is playing like they do on the videos - but jeez the evantube and hulyan are awful altogether.

Have you tried blocking the channels OP? I don't know if that is possible. I guess there are way too many of these channels though and a high percentage of them are awful!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I think there is an app called ducky tube you can get so you can pick what they can access on you tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Only found out last weekend about those channels where they open up kinder surprises - my husband's nieces were glued to it on one of the parent's phones!

My son is a little bit older and I'm struggling to reduce the amount of time he spends watching youtube vidoes. It's all really annoying hyper guys with silly voices, people playing minecraft games all day long! But in fairness himself has followed some of the videos and made some amazing things on his own minecraft. But these guys have new videos up every day that himself just has to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my son doesn't watch TV at this stage there is literally no series he actively watches but he will watch youtube until the cows come home. the only positive I can see is that it probably engages the brain a little more then passively being fed advertising and what not.
    Never tried to stop it as long has he is getting his other stuff done. And he has learned things, with no prompting from me he has setup is own youtube channel, found and learned how to use video editing and animation software and has learned game music on his Piano so he could upload it to some channels he subscribes to.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

there are some right miserable so and so's on this thread!!!
    ya they drive me mad as well but in fairness they are harmless, out from the fact my kids now speak with American accents and go around narrating their own lives!!
    then again my eldest lad has now spent a year in school and has joined a few local sports clubs so his American accent is turning into a thick local ''town'' accent so its swings and roundabouts!

they are a phenomenon though some of the people who do them have become millionaires from it and i see ''kidscity'' now have their own app.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

My 7 year old watches them religiously most of the ones she watches only feature a single child ,she won't watch the ones where the parents are involved "there just using the kids to be famous" her words ,
    She's now progressed to seven girls, 7super teens , 7 sparkling teens,7 tweens and so on and so on ,.
    She's practising scripts for short scenes she's currently filming for her own entertainment which I think is a good thing .

Most annoying thing for me the 100+ notifications I get to her many subscriptions I get daily across my devices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Glebee

chevron wrote: »
    My kids 4, 8, and 10 love YouTube.

Always watching people playing minecraft. And surprise egg opening videos.

They want to make their own videos.
    But who can afford to be buying brand new board games and toys every two days for them to be making videos of opening and playing them.

Snap, almost the same. Watching minecraft and hello kitty surprise egg, batman surprise egg, basically anything surprise egg....
    The eldest gets a bit of computer time at the weekend and he would nearly prefer to watch people play minecraft than play it himself..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

sillysocks wrote: »
    Not quite toy reviews but my little one loves watching the ones where kids open Kinder Surprises and see what they get! Or watching recordings of children playing computer games.

My young girl is obsessed with these!
    I think they're harmless enough though, if a bit annoying.

I find the ones "starring" grown men to be a bit creepy though I have to say - what the hell kind of grown adult gets his kicks filming himself playing with childrens toys? There's nothing in the videos themselves to worry about per se, I just can't shake the feeling that it takes a proper weirdo to do this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

My kids are mad for these, in particular the HobbyKidsTv and FGTV (sky mom and sky Dad).

I was wondering how the latter of these was able to afford it and then I found the following:
    http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/fgteev
    A
    TOTAL GRADE

988th
    SUBSCRIBER RANK

190th
    VIDEO VIEW RANK

64th
    SOCIAL BLADE RANK

170,883,300 (up 15.6% )
    VIEWS FOR THE LAST 30 DAYS

137,747 (up 21.9% )
    SUBSCRIBERS FOR THE LAST 30 DAYS

Machinima
    NETWORK / CLAIMED BY

€38.9K - €622K
    ESTIMATED MONTHLY EARNINGS

€466.5K - €7.5M
    ESTIMATED YEARLY EARNINGS

Even if yo were to hit the low end of the scale there, that is some serious money to be pulling in from making videos about playing games. I'm sure they work hard and all, but I wouldn't be honest if I wasn't letting the Irish "grumble grumble begrudgery" out :D

It has inspired the eldest a bit into making his own but to be honest, you need ferocious discipline to get to that level. But at least now I understand how they were able to make videos about:
    • Building a new house
    • Building a pool for said house
    • Going to Hawaii
    • buying every toy known to man
    • Buying 400 quid worth of expansions for a single game
    • building their own ball pit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My one is obsessed with blind bag challenges and those pizza challenges where they pick toppings out of a bag- could be lucky charms, could be baby food. Hate seeing that waste of food.

I really like that cookie swirl c character, she's cartoony and she does these dollar store challenges which are nifty as I can take my one to the pound shop and let her do her own challenge and doesn't cost a lot whereas blind bags are like a fiver a pop!

I think she does this thing where she shows how to draw shopkins characters step by step which is a great one for entertaining herself and her pals.

They're weird but sure we had fancy paper and those weird charms in the eighties. I remember driving my mam mad to get them.

They must be on serious moola though. There's a girl in one of them and she's pretty much opening huge boxes of shopkins and nom mom's each Wednesday. I wonder do they keep them or donate them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

They must be on serious moola though. There's a girl in one of them and she's pretty much opening huge boxes of shopkins and nom mom's each Wednesday. I wonder do they keep them or donate them on?

To be fair, I know the two I mentioned previously donate a huge amount of what they get. And they video that too so you can see the kids all getting involved in the effort of getting toys together and bringing them to local charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I haven't watched the videos you (pl) talk about but I'd say they get sent the products for free to try out or are sponsored by particular brands.
    (I watch beauty bloggers and snapchat and youtube and they get sent free make up and new releases to show).

Many youtubers do this as a full time job, it takes ages to film and edit videos and going by the length of the videos my son watches and the frequency that they are posted, they have to be at it full time and they aren't rich enough or stupid enough to do it for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

I want to head-butt Ryan's mother.

I want it more than when I wanted to turn George Pig into a bacon sammich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The problem I have with them is with them demanding the bloody eggs and whatever else the grown adult is so excited about opening on YouTube! A lot of good them only watching RTE Jr, CBBC and Netflix when they're bombarded with this stuff online.

Suddenly, tv is beginning to regain its appeal :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya this one kind of annoys me... She gets seriously big eggs.

What's with all these egg associations anyhow. I'm definitely buying shares in kinder.

WOW AWESOOOOOMMMEE

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Toy trains 4 u is our favourite! Not too commercial and its more about playing with toys!

But the toy reviewers really take the biscuit.

They must make a mint though, no matter how the kids start out on YouTube they always wind up at these pages!

Toy trains 4u isn't bad in fairness. At least there's a bit of effort made and it's more like an episode of a TV show with the stories etc. I'd happily let him watch that, but the problem is with the side bar suggestions, he'll inevitably end up on one of those ones that's just a 'review'.

The ones that basically just open toys bug the crap out of me. It irks me no end that they're making a mint out of sitting there doing basically nothing, and then every single toy that they open it's "Mammy, can we go to smyths and get xyz?"

The ones where the little kids get involved don't really sit right with me, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the kids are well pissed off at the parents when they hit their teens and their classmates are chanting "hobby frog, hobby frog!" while they get their underwear run up the school flagpole.

Advertisement