Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy reviewers on youtube?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What the heck is a hobby frog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Kinder eggs are banned in America so that might be the fascination there.

The girls watch Cookie Swirl C (omg her voice goes through me) and sometimes HobbyKidsTV.

I have to say I'm not much better for the Youtube videos since I'm subscribed to a lot of YouTubers such as Casey Neistat and DailyBumps...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    What the heck is a hobby frog?

There's a channel called Hobby Kids TV and they have the kids involved in the videos, but instead of using their names they call one Hobby Frog, one is Hobby Pig (I know) and I think there might be a third but I don't know what they call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

silverharp wrote: »
    the only positive I can see is that it probably engages the brain a little more then passively being fed advertising and what not.

But all they are is pure advertising. That's pretty much their purpose, the toy companies send these toys to Evantube/HobbyKids/Ryan'sToyReview/etc because it is just super cheap advertising. For the price of a few toys they can reach millions of small children who are watching these youtube stars, who they actually think of as friends, tell them about great new toys. It's the best, most effective advertising imaginable. Hell, the Chinese tourist board even paid for Evan, Gillian, their parents and production crew (because Evan's parents are clearly professional tv/film-makers with an extensive and expensive set-up and numerous staff/freelancers working for them) to have a holiday in Hong Kong because they deemed it a great way to advertise HK as a holiday destination for westerners.

I had to ban these videos outright. My 3.5 year old discovered them when he was just 2 and was almost instantly addicted. At first I thought it was weird and funny but it ended up having a negative impact on our lives and was potentially starting to effect his personality as they became such an obsession. I wouldn't mind too much if he could watch half an hour here or there but it's like an addiction. I waited until we went on holidays in the spring and couldn't watch them there. That broke the habit and once we came home, I just kept going out places or doing activities until he stopped asking for them. I don't mind some television, there is a lot of great stuff on CBeebies and on Nick Jr, Blaze and the Monster Machines is fantastic. I know the main purpose of the cartoons are to sell toys but anything that can teach a 3 year a decent understanding of concepts like trajectory, adhesion, acceleration, momentum, velocity and even potential and kinetic energy has major plus points.

Toots wrote: »
    There's a channel called Hobby Kids TV and they have the kids involved in the videos, but instead of using their names they call one Hobby Frog, one is Hobby Pig (I know) and I think there might be a third but I don't know what they call it.

Hobby Bear is the baby. Worst part about it is that the eldest kid, Hobby Pig, is noticeably over-weight. I don't care how much fame and money this crap brings them, none of it could possibly be worth the torment he must deal with at school because of that.

As well as that, if you watch some of the older videos the oldest boy in particular seems bored out of his mind. He has clearly got very little enthusiasm for all the new toys and the parents are trying to gee him up from off camera. I can't even begin to imagine how damaging the whole thing is for those kids.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yeah, it's really horrible. I mean of all the names they could have picked... jesus.

I totally know what you mean about them becoming an obsession, they're just there one after the other after the other, and it is completely just advertising. I don't let him watch the likes of Nick Jr and kids TV channels "live" because of the amount of ads on them, he can watch Netflix, or DVDs, or else I'll record them on the DVR and fast forward the ads when they come on. Hobbykids TV in particular kinda made me uncomfortable because they seem to have a lifestyle that myself and my husband could just never provide for our son (barring a lottery win) - huge house, new cars, constant new toys, etc. I also noticed that if I let my little guy sit down for an hour and watch it while I did a bit of work or something, he'd be so badly behaved for the rest of the day. This never happened with any TV shows or movies, just those toy channels on YouTube. That was when I deleted YouTube off the iPad, and also put a password lock on my laptop, because he's worked out how to get onto YouTube with that, too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

iguana wrote: »
    I don't mind some television, there is a lot of great stuff on CBeebies and on Nick Jr, Blaze and the Monster Machines is fantastic. I know the main purpose of the cartoons are to sell toys but anything that can teach a 3 year a decent understanding of concepts like trajectory, adhesion, acceleration, momentum, velocity and even potential and kinetic energy has major plus points.

My 3 year old loves blaze, 18 month old will watch it too actually.
    She used to be glued to dinosaur train which was also very good - it sounds very weird when a toddler comes up to you and says "Daddy, I have a hypothesis":D
    Ha ha, do you now!

My 3 year old loves blaze, 18 month old will watch it too actually.
    She used to be glued to dinosaur train which was also very good - it sounds very weird when a toddler comes up to you and says "Daddy, I have a hypothesis":D
    Ha ha, do you now!

I used to find Blaze super annoying but listening to my 3 year old when he plays with his bow and arrow and he tells me that he's working out the trajectory so the arrow will hit the target (and stay in place due to adhesion). And that when he pulls the arrow back it's full of potential energy and then cheer on it's kinetic energy when he lets it go, has converted me completely. Yes it's annoying and the stupid songs get stuck in your head but it's the reason my 3 year old has a basic working knowledge of concepts that are on the junior cert science course, so it gets a pass.:cool:

'Trajectoryyyyyy, that's the route you folllloooow. Trajectoryyyy, when you're flying through the air!'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

iguana wrote: »
    But all they are is pure advertising. That's pretty much their purpose, the toy companies send these toys to Evantube/HobbyKids/Ryan'sToyReview/etc because it is just super cheap advertising. For the price of a few toys they can reach millions of small children who are watching these youtube stars, who they actually think of as friends, tell them about great new toys. It's the best, most effective advertising imaginable. Hell, the Chinese tourist board even paid for Evan, Gillian, their parents and production crew (because Evan's parents are clearly professional tv/film-makers with an extensive and expensive set-up and numerous staff/freelancers working for them) to have a holiday in Hong Kong because they deemed it a great way to advertise HK as a holiday destination for westerners.

I had to ban these videos outright. My 3.5 year old discovered them when he was just 2 and was almost instantly addicted. At first I thought it was weird and funny but it ended up having a negative impact on our lives and was potentially starting to effect his personality as they became such an obsession. I wouldn't mind too much if he could watch half an hour here or there but it's like an addiction. I waited until we went on holidays in the spring and couldn't watch them there. That broke the habit and once we came home, I just kept going out places or doing activities until he stopped asking for them. I don't mind some television, there is a lot of great stuff on CBeebies and on Nick Jr, Blaze and the Monster Machines is fantastic. I know the main purpose of the cartoons are to sell toys but anything that can teach a 3 year a decent understanding of concepts like trajectory, adhesion, acceleration, momentum, velocity and even potential and kinetic energy has major plus points.

it might be an age thing , I didn't let mine anywhere near Youtube until they were 8 or 9. As far as they were concerned the internet was for games and that all. my "roll eyes" is them watching other people playing games on Youtube and of course there is all the othet dumb hipster stuff , 10 best..., kids react and all the other inane nonsense you can cram into a 10 min video.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Seen this and thought of this thread:

14054943_1830462290524217_1627173527817082038_n.jpg?oh=1ddd65089fa4e9dbf30dd67eb141e4a3&oe=585A330F

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My kids are fascinated by many of these channels, but Skylanders Dad and Stampy in particular. They understand that the youtuber channels are often commercial content and Skylander dad (likely) works for the company and that's how he gets so much stuff. Stampy is a digital entrepreneur and again the kids know it's his full time job to put these shows together (and that he's handsomely paid for it).

It's part of a new shift in entertainment away from traditional TV and I've no problem with less Nickleodeon and adverts from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Tabnabs wrote: »
    My kids are fascinated by many of these channels, but Skylanders Dad and Stampy in particular. They understand that the youtuber channels are often commercial content and Skylander dad (likely) works for the company and that's how he gets so much stuff. Stampy is a digital entrepreneur and again the kids know it's his full time job to put these shows together (and that he's handsomely paid for it).

It's part of a new shift in entertainment away from traditional TV and I've no problem with less Nickleodeon and adverts from them.

stampies voice drives me insane, its weird what kids find so absorbing and interesting, but us adults can make no sense of why.

Advertisement