Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken bolt in frame boss for mudguard/rack - help!

Options
  • 04-08-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, bit of a long shot here, but to cut a long story short while I was checking for loose bolts on my commuter earlier this evening (loosening and retightening) due to a rattle (since realised it was a broken bottle cage :rolleyes:), one of the bolts for the lower non-drive side leg (i.e. above the QR lever) of the rear rack basically broke off. As aa result, I now find myself looking for recommendations of somewhere in or around Dublin 15 or Dublin city centre that might be able to remove the piece of the bolt left in the frame (it sheared off level if not a little recessed, so nothing left to grab) so I can remount the rack with a new bolt?

I'd usually go to Dara in Bee Cycles for services that I can't/don't feel like doing myself, and I'll certainly check with him about this one, but since I imagine the piece will likely need to be drilled out (or at the very least have something embedded into it for leverage) I'm not 100% on him having the kit to do it, or indeed an LBS in general having it (though I've seen plenty of threads on here suggesting most shops will fit helicoils in cranks which I guess is a similar job, so happy to be corrected!). So if anyone can recommend an LBS that they know would be up to the job, or indeed any other engineering type firm that might be able to help, I'd be much obliged :) Obviously if needs be I'd be willing to travel a bit away from D15 for it too.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement