Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance after accident

Options
  • 04-08-2016 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

Hello folks.

My brothers car was rear-ended a few days ago and the other persons insurance company came out to look at the damage to my brothers car. The brothers car is worth €3,000 and the cost to have it repaired comes to around €2,900. The other persons insurance guy told my brother that it is too dear for repair and the car is only worth €2,000 and will not pay that price to have it repaired. He also told him that they would purchase the car from him for €2,000 which seems strange to me.

I thought that the other persons insurance has to pay to have it repaired whatever the cost. Is this legitimate from the insurance company ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hello folks.

My brothers car was rear-ended a few days ago and the other persons insurance company came out to look at the damage to my brothers car. The brothers car is worth €3,000 and the cost to have it repaired comes to around €2,900. The other persons insurance guy told my brother that it is too dear for repair and the car is only worth €2,000 and will not pay that price to have it repaired. He also told him that they would purchase the car from him for €2,000 which seems strange to me.

I thought that the other persons insurance has to pay to have it repaired whatever the cost. Is this legitimate from the insurance company ?.

They are writing it off and offering him "market value" to buy it to scrap. If your brother can prove a higher replacement cost he may get a higher valuation.

If really not happy I think there is the option to take the money less any salvage value and fix it yourself but I can't see that being financially credible given it will be a write-off.

Bit of a bummer if it's been well looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Did you bring the car to the other insurance company's "approved repairer"?

If so try another 2 and get more quotes and see what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

They are writing it off and offering him "market value" to buy it to scrap. If your brother can prove a higher replacement cost he may get a higher valuation.

If really not happy I think there is the option to take the money less any salvage value and fix it yourself but I can't see that being financially credible given it will be a write-off.

Bit of a bummer if it's been well looked after.

The car is driving perfectly. The back bumper is badly dented and so is the boot, but it still drives grand. The other insurance guy wanted to take the working car and give my brother €2,000. The car is not at all in need of scrapping. It just seems strange that the other insurance crowd want to take his working car and just give him €2,000.

amcalester wrote: »
    Did you bring the car to the other insurance company's "approved repairer"?

If so try another 2 and get more quotes and see what they are.

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The car is driving perfectly.

You might think so - but with collisions like that it is very easy to change the geometry. Experienced assessor will be able to tell straight ahead if that's the case. I would not drive it anyway after a collision that extensive.

Argue with them about the value before the accident. You can use VRT calculator as a basis - it gives the current OMSP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The car is driving perfectly. The back bumper is badly dented and so is the boot, but it still drives grand. The other insurance guy wanted to take the working car and give my brother €2,000. The car is not at all in need of scrapping. It just seems strange that the other insurance crowd want to take his working car and just give him €2,000.

There could be structural damage to the chassis that you can't see, modern cars are designed to crumble to protect the occupants, and that can be hard to repair.

Never except the first 2 offers from the insurance company. Have you checked donedeal for similar cars? Just because you think the car is worth €3k doesn't mean that it is.

Yes, you're probably right there, could be unseen damage, so I'll let him know and give him the information. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Yes, you're probably right there, could be unseen damage, so I'll let him know and give him the information. Thanks.

A mates car got rearended at christmas. Very slow colision. Very little damage done, bumber pushed forward a little, boot lid sticking up about 10mm at the front.
    He took it to a main dealer for a quote for repair, 8500 euros.
    Chassis was straight but a lot of panels crumpled.
    Indpendent was 4900

Advertisement