Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia College Post-Primary

Options
  • 04-08-2016 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi

Have an interview next week with Hibernia for the PME Post primary. Anyone got any ideas what they ask or tips for it?

Also, does the course run straight through the summer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Postgraduates

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

mufc1993 wrote: »
    Anyone?

Using the search box, I found this, there could be others.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88838550

What are you subjects op?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 postgrad21

Hi, I got an offer for the September 2016 intake and I am thrilled to say the least!

However, the orientation day is on 3rd September, and I don't think I will be able to attend!! Does anyone know if it is necessary to go to this day? Will I miss much? What should I do??

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

You get your student card that day and a welcome pack as far as i can remember. They may be able to send it out to you either, I remember there were a lot missing on my orientation day years and years ago.

Working through summer really depends on the cohort. You really only get 3ish weeks off. I started in an October cohort and worked through until July and then began again end of August in time for TP. I think you may still get the normal school holidays though too.

With this course you always on the go, you don't really get a mental break its a solid hack for 2 years but its very manageable. I did the PDE and was able to work alongside studying and so had my TP covered. The one thing I will say is put your best into your TP and try to get the highest scores there.

And they never tell you but they expect you to more or less have your TP sorted before you even start the course. I've heard of some students going through hell and having to defer the module because they can't find a school.

I think this is hibernias biggest downfall- that they don't actively have a list of schools on board.

Best of luck- you'll be at the other side in no time.

• Advertisement

Hi

Have an interview next week with Hibernia for the PME Post primary. Anyone got any ideas what they ask or tips for it?

Also, does the course run straight through the summer?

know your subjects inside out! and why you wanted to be a teacher etc. it really depends on your subjects though. i thought there was a thread already somewhere about it.

see my reply further above this post for course running time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im doing a PME in Maynooth this sept and we were given no help in finding schools for tp, i had it in my mind to do teaching the last 2 years so i spent almost 2 years going around schools and asking them for placement for the pme, eventually after calling and meeting principles in some schools a few times they were happy to take me. although it did take a lot of time and energy and pulling a lot of strings such as getting a word in through friends who knew principles and such like it did pay off to be determined. anyone looking for tp id say always go with your cv in person and try to get to meet the principle or vice principle and even get talking to the secretary and tell her your story, just play the game and they might put you in good light when chatting to the principle if you dont manage to meet them. i know this is what happened with me. have your research done on the principle as well, know waht buttons to press if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I don't know of any college that organises TP for you though!

no i dont think so, amazing the amount of people who just throw in cvs and hope something sticks!

Dickie10 wrote: »
    im doing a PME in Maynooth this sept and we were given no help in finding schools for tp, i had it in my mind to do teaching the last 2 years so i spent almost 2 years going around schools and asking them for placement for the pme, eventually after calling and meeting principles in some schools a few times they were happy to take me. although it did take a lot of time and energy and pulling a lot of strings such as getting a word in through friends who knew principles and such like it did pay off to be determined. anyone looking for tp id say always go with your cv in person and try to get to meet the principle or vice principle and even get talking to the secretary and tell her your story, just play the game and they might put you in good light when chatting to the principle if you dont manage to meet them. i know this is what happened with me. have your research done on the principle as well, know waht buttons to press if you get me.

When I did my dip, I only got my dip sorted the day before I started. The university did nothing to organise it, they did tell us that they would only help if we were unable to get a TP school. I think its harder now because schools have to give a lot of classes to dip students and that can be risky if you don't have the best dip students.

Aside: I'm only advising Dickie10, so don't take this personally, but you constantly leave out capital letters in your posts, you should get into the habit of using capital letters because you will have to apply for jobs some day and your application will land itself in the bin without good grammar, spelling etc. Also, watch your spelling of the word principal - another error which will land your application in the bin. I have also worked in many schools and I think the term 'vice principal' is now defunct and has been replaced with 'deputy principal.'

• Advertisement

oh good to know about the principal thing never heard that! dont worry i dont send in cvs like i type on boards, just getting messages over and out here not writing a novel!

Dickie10 wrote: »
    oh good to know about the principal thing never heard that! dont worry i dont send in cvs like i type on boards, just getting messages over and out here not writing a novel!

Yes, you may not be writing a novel but you are posting in the Teaching Forum where I (and supposing others) would accept capitals letters at the start of sentences and a capital I when referring to yourself. Just wondering, when your doing your dip - would you correct students for referring to themselves with i? This is a very simple rule that was drummed into us in primary school. It is quite frustrating that someone with a degree and wanting to further their studies would not see this as wrong. Just as aside again, referring to yourself with a small i can show self-esteem issues. Check your autocorrect and it will fix it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Yes, you may not be writing a novel but you are posting in the Teaching Forum where I (and supposing others) would accept capitals letters at the start of sentences and a capital I when referring to yourself. Just wondering, when your doing your dip - would you correct students for referring to themselves with i? This is a very simple rule that was drummed into us in primary school. It is quite frustrating that someone with a degree and wanting to further their studies would not see this as wrong. Just as aside again, referring to yourself with a small i can show self-esteem issues. Check your autocorrect and it will fix it for you.

'...you're doing your dip.'

'...you're doing your dip.'

Admittedly, I'm not perfect either but I was on my phone and can't preview before sumbiting to thread.

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    You get your student card that day and a welcome pack as far as i can remember. They may be able to send it out to you either, I remember there were a lot missing on my orientation day years and years ago.

Working through summer really depends on the cohort. You really only get 3ish weeks off. I started in an October cohort and worked through until July and then began again end of August in time for TP. I think you may still get the normal school holidays though too.

With this course you always on the go, you don't really get a mental break its a solid hack for 2 years but its very manageable. I did the PDE and was able to work alongside studying and so had my TP covered. The one thing I will say is put your best into your TP and try to get the highest scores there.

And they never tell you but they expect you to more or less have your TP sorted before you even start the course. I've heard of some students going through hell and having to defer the module because they can't find a school.

I think this is hibernias biggest downfall- that they don't actively have a list of schools on board.

Best of luck- you'll be at the other side in no time.

Thanks for that, really appreciate it.

I'm actually thinking of going away for a week at beginning of September so maybe it would be better to miss orientation than the first potential Saturday group session so!

Didn't know that re having a school sorted, must get moving on that- first block is in February so hopefully I amn't too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

393926.jpggrammar nazi meme - Google Search.jpg

OK OK folks move on, read the charter about correcting spelling.

Just another question on this - how do the online webinars/tutorials work? Do they require engagement or is it just a case of staring at a screen for a couple of hours? Didn't realise there is 2-4 of them a week.

Just another question on this - how do the online webinars/tutorials work? Do they require engagement or is it just a case of staring at a screen for a couple of hours? Didn't realise there is 2-4 of them a week.

you do the prep work for it, then you have the online tutorials so you sign into Blackboard into a conference call basically. There is a hands up option where you can put yourself forward to ask questions or answer them. My group were the silent type and i suppose all those years ago when they were starting up, they didn't mind that. In fact I remember letting a tutorial play and I went to the pub- I just told the tutor my mic wasn't working. I would advise to actually pay some bit of attention to them especially around assignment time. I got way more from the on site days.

Tutorials are an hour- once in a blue moon a tutor might combine two weeks together if they are away.

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    you do the prep work for it, then you have the online tutorials so you sign into Blackboard into a conference call basically. There is a hands up option where you can put yourself forward to ask questions or answer them. My group were the silent type and i suppose all those years ago when they were starting up, they didn't mind that. In fact I remember letting a tutorial play and I went to the pub- I just told the tutor my mic wasn't working. I would advise to actually pay some bit of attention to them especially around assignment time. I got way more from the on site days.

Tutorials are an hour- once in a blue moon a tutor might combine two weeks together if they are away.

Thanks for that. Must get a mic for my laptop now actually!

Oh right, didn't know they were an hour thought they would be longer. How many a week did you have? Actually whilst we're on about it how many hours a day did you devote to the lectures too?

Thanks for that. Must get a mic for my laptop now actually!

Oh right, didn't know they were an hour thought they would be longer. How many a week did you have? Actually whilst we're on about it how many hours a day did you devote to the lectures too?

sorry only getting back to you now. you could have one a week at the start and it could increase to maybe three a week when there are a few modules on together. if i remember correctly, the history of education is the first one and i'm not sure if anything is done along side it.

I was teaching at the time I was doing it so I hadn't a huge amount of time to dedicate to them but maybe an hour or two a week. normally it was a night before job to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Our school got dippers last year by ringing the secretary of the PDE course in local universities and asking if they had any students with particular subjects who needed a placement so it could be well worth your while leaving your details with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Just another question on this - how do the online webinars/tutorials work?

I had one tutor who used to pick students to answer questions. The guy used to love putting people on the spot! I worked full time while completing the PDE and as a result I missed a lot of tutorials. I was never pulled up on it (a tutor did email me about missing their class regularly).

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet - if you have a job (specifically one which won't make allowances for your studies), try to tie in your holidays with your TP. The weeks of teaching practice combined with work were one of the toughest periods of my life. Hibernia are very strict on uploading lesson plans every morning before school, and having to juggle submissions with teaching and a job can be very stressful.

Advertisement