Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quake Champions

• 04-08-2016 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Tbh when it was 1st announced I assumed FFS A Quake MOBA TF2/Overwatch type game. If I shoot someone in a video game online I expect them to die not grow a tree or some ****.

But the more info that comes out about it, it is started to look like a class based twitch based FPS. The latest trailer looks very decent.

I just hope the classes dont ever work towards surviving and healing and just focus on different and faster ways to kill.

Comments

Giant chained eyeball? I'm in

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It is fixing the problem ALL modern FPS' have - they're insanely slow and need to be twice as fast as they are! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It's been a long time since I played twitch FPSs (Q1-3, UT) and even back then, it was mostly on a 640x480 monitor. With everything being all HD and stuff, I've no idea how I could handle pinpoint accurace shots without ADS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I'm pretty excited to see what it's like on release, seems the arena shooter is back in fashion again, praise be! And yes a giant chained eyeball, who isn't excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've been playing a lot of Unreal Tournament (3?) alpha and it's a lot of fun, I wonder now what Quake will bring to the table :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Unreal alpha is excellent, love the nostalgia factor as well with the traditional announcer voice. Quake Champions looks good though, have to say, have been longing for a good arena shooter for a really long time. Still play Unreal Tournament 99 sometimes, never really got into the subsequent games. UT99 has held up really well though, as has Quake III to be honest. A re-master of either would have me throwing money at it. There's a thread here as well about this new arena shooter 'diabolical', but I can't get onboard with the cutsey cartoony nature of it at all.

https://quake.bethesda.net/en

Beta signups are open.

So, sounds like the "Champions" will have unique movement abilities.

Here's Nyx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Well this guy's going to annoy the fuck out of me.

Seriously irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That was painful to listen to and actually managed to dull my interest in the game, which is some feat. Sounds like a voice-over from the early 90's.

• Advertisement

That kickflip at the end was pretty bad arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Some raw gameplay footage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Willing to pay a tenner if anyone has a spare key

That looks much better - though if they don't have proper servers/bots I'll ignore it in favour of UT.

... who am I kidding, I'll still be playing Overwatch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

They seriously need to redo that guy's voicelines. He sounds like a surfer dude from the Simpsons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Any one want a key for this weekends closed beta?

xtal191 wrote: »
    Any one want a key for this weekends closed beta?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yes if there is more than 1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

So who's on it on here? Is there a way to add friends to match up?

I've enjoyed it so far but it doesn't feel quite as fluid as Q3 Arena does (I still play from time to time) and I'm not sure about having abilities. I prefer the traditional mad dash for the holy trinity of rail gun, rocket launcher and shotgun without anyone having an advantage over others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I just played a few rounds and had my arse handed to me like usual :D

• Advertisement

I suck at Quake, yikes.

After another day at it, I think I've gotten a fair bit better.

I'm installing the Beta now, am definitely looking forward to seeing how spectacularly awful I've become at Quake :P

Played for a bit, got spanked as hard as I expected to through lack of practice, but it's a fun game. It's essentially Overwatch in the Quake universe with loot boxes and cosmetics, but with the speed and action kinda like Quake 3 crossed with the new Doom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Overwatch?

When you shoot people do they die?

The Overwatch stuff - there are loot boxes, cosmetics and so on. The in-game differences in the characters are minor - some move slightly faster, some are slightly tankier, some are more proficient with some weapons - it's minor, but it does mean that if you have a certain playstyle you prefer, you'll probably find a character that'll exploit that more easily than others.

Had a horrid time on it this weekend; however I'm not 100% sure if it was the netcode or something with my internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Gave it a bash at lunchtime and had a blast with it.

The bells and whistles of modern online games don't seem to detract from the core old school Quake gameplay which is nice and I didn't see any issues stability or performance wise. With one exception, the skill level of the lunch time crowd appeared to be quite low though judging by my finishing places and atrocious Railgun aiming. :o

New mode, Unholy Trinity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement