Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio 2016 ~ Judo.. A quick guide

Options
  • 05-08-2016 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Well we're about to begin RIO 2016 and no doubt we'll have some here following the Judo (esp. the BJJ guys, of which I train in both).

Here's a quick guide to how the fights will be scored and some very basic rules from Neil Adams.

I'd welcome any commentary or questions and will do my best to answer all.

I'm absolutely buzzing for Rio 2016, hope you all enjoy it too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Makikomi, could you explain one of the shido a little more for me, if you have two grips on one side of the jacket its a foul?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Defs gonna try and catch some of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Google Judo info

A nicely setup system here by google.

Makikomi any specific weight class or people to watch out for ?

Will this be streamed anywhere? I remember been able to watch most of it online somewhere last time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cletus wrote: »
    Konnor Attractive Sledgehammer, could you explain one of the shido a little more for me, if you have two grips on one side of the jacket its a foul?

If you don't immediately attack then yes, its a foul (shido) for passivit.. Passivity or negative Judo is penalized.. If you hear the term 'negative Judo' if a fighter who is preventing the opponent from initiating an attack ~ you're simply not allowed to be inactive. And there are no guard pulling in Judo, scut butt and you'll be laughed off the mat by the audience, and DQ'd by the ref.

Konnor Attractive Sledgehammer any specific weight class or people to watch out for ?

Will this be streamed anywhere? I remember been able to watch most of it online somewhere last time round.

So many to watch out for.. Personally I'll be following all the British Judoka.

I'll also be following Kayla Harrison (USA) ~ she was the first America woman Judoka to win an Olympic Gold (London).. Its rumored her agent is talking to the UFC for post Rio 2016, if she's a double Gold medal winner she'll be a big draw there.

I'll be watching the Israeli's too. There's usually some controversy when they're drawn against an Arab opponent (most Arab countries won't allow their Judoka fight an Israeli).. of the Israeli's I'm following Yarden Garbi

But really there are so many weights, fighters and countries which I could write about all day.

I don't have any streams just yet, I see there's a few been posted on FB but I've been too busy to check them out. However JUDOFORUM is an excellent Judo forum and I'm sure there'll be something there.. But just as soon as I have a reliable stream I'll post it.

Sorry for the short replies but Friday is pretty hectic for me (running from one job to another).

Thanks for the response. Another question if I may. The video made it sound like specifically two same side grips will be penalised if no attack is forthcoming. If I have that right, what is the logic behind separating same side grips and opposite grips

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response. Another question if I may. The video made it sound like specifically two same side grips will be penalised if no attack is forthcoming. If I have that right, what is the logic behind separating same side grips and opposite grips

I'm just on door in Templebar so can't really answer from the phone but I'll get back to you over the weekend, sry

The video made it sound like specifically two same side grips will be penalised if no attack is forthcoming. If I have that right, what is the logic behind separating same side grips and opposite grips

Passive (negative/defensive) Judo.

If you're not attacking on those grips you're being passive and preventing your opponents attacks too.

Judo is an aggressive sport and you're simply not allowed to be passive without risking a shido (penalty).

I don't think I'm explaining that very well?.

Still haven't got a definite stream yet, but ippon.tv usually cover the games, worlds and all the major Judo comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

One good way of stalling out a match is to grab on to one side of your opponent and hang off them so their posture is broken. Breaking posture is vital to starting throws, but if you are breaking posture but not attacking, then you are considered to be stalling, and taking a two on one grip is a clear sign that you are trying to break posture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Posted this in the BJJ ATHTEAD, didn't know this one was here.

Here's some cool Newaza from the Olympics.
    https://twitter.com/dps831/status/762104345475227650/video/1[/quote]

I'm expect Travis Sevens to score at least some sumissions

darced wrote: »
    Anyone watch the GB and Turkish lad there?

Was the GB guy not very defensive, backing off all the time?

Did the GB lad have an unusual style off attacks? Always attacking very low?

You can back off if you wish, once you're still taking grips and fighting.. As an example the type of throw Ashley (GB) uses is Tai Otoshi (a body drop) and it pretty much requires your opponent walking onto you.

As regards fighting very low, as the weights go up you'll see more upright/standing judo.. The screen doesn't show it, but at 60kgs these guys are tiny and fight very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

erm lads....i just copped RTE seems to be streaming all the judo online :P

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Anybody know where you can watch replays of the judo online? RTE don't seem to have it on the player. Been scouring the internet but not found anything.

Anybody know where you can watch replays of the judo online? RTE don't seem to have it on the player. Been scouring the internet but not found anything.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/rte-olympics/id1110302945?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.obs.ovp.android.RTEGEN

Rte have released an app that seems to have full on demand video for all events.

Starting at 14:00 today on the RTE App.. Watch for second match -81kgs, Eoin Coughlan, Australia, who's father, Dr Paul Coughlan comes from Dublin & was a member of the Trinity College University Judo Club in the 1980's.

Sibling support for Olympic dream

393902.jpg

With names like Aoife, Eoin and Meave Coughlan I think we can certainly lay claim to them being Irish :D

^^^ Beaten by armbar :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Travis Stevens (Judo and BJJ black belt) in the semi final with a nice bow an arrow style choke.

www.instagram.com/p/BI5nhFTBXoW/

Mellor wrote: »
    Travis Stevens (Judo and BJJ black belt) in the semi final with a nice bow an arrow style choke.

www.instagram.com/p/BI5nhFTBXoW/

Yes it was pretty sweet.

I was sorry to see him lose out in the final :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »

I fell asleep and missed an entire days Judo.

I'm sad to see the great IIiadis (Greece) has announced his retirement from Judo.

Greatly one of the greats.

Get onto the app now, men's -90kg final about to start

Get onto the app now, men's -90kg final about to start

I've caught all the evenings fights thankfully :)

I enjoyed the women's -70kg medal bouts

Watch for Kayla Harrison (women's -78kg) USA tomorrow.. A Gold and her next move is rumored to be the UFC!.

Nice armbar in the semi by Harrison. I thought her opponent might have made some effort to shoulder roll and escape the armbar, especially while she was ripping the grip from behind her legs. I don't think Harrison was controlling a pant leg or anything

Two more questions for makikomi (or anybody else who knows)

1) if you are being pinned, does regaining half guard stop the timer runnining, or do you have to fully reverse/sweep or escape

2) can you be penalised for excessive celebrating after a victory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Two more questions for makikomi (or anybody else who knows)

1) if you are being pinned, does regaining half guard stop the timer runnining, or do you have to fully reverse/sweep or escape
    Regaining half guard is enough. If you somehow got a triangle lock on the head and an arm that should also be enough (even if you are not even close to choking them). Basically to have a pin you need to be in a situation where you could get up if you wanted, and your opponent cannot get up without you letting them.
    2) can you be penalised for excessive celebrating after a victory
    In theory, yeah, you can be done for going against "the spirit of judo". Never seen it be an issue outside kids competitions. I know Teddy Riner used to get a lot of flack for his excessive celebrating, lots of pressure on him to reel it in, but I don't think he ever got any official action taken against him, and he's the most successful judoka ever.

Advertisement