Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadside Repairs Photo Thread

Options
  • 05-08-2016 8:35am

I've a new exhaust section in the post but I couldn't be listening to the roar or breathing in my newly acquired side pipe.

393579.jpeg
    Can of coke and some hose clamps. I reckon it'll last a week.

Anyone else got photos of their roadside MacGuyver moments? Please post. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tphase

had to do something similar a few years back, used a bean can (much more robust than coke ) and filled the gaps with gun gum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

You might be surprised how long it will last, I had a sleeve like that made from the rolled up flue of an old scrap potterton gas boiler and the clamps from an audi 80 that was scrapped in the 80s went through 4 ncts no issue. I had another sleeve made from aluminium flashing - (a little too thick, needed lots of planishing to get it to seal) that is still on a car I sold to neighbour a few years ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I have been known to put 2 euro in the slot to start my beetle;)

kadman wrote: »
    I have been known to put 2 euro in the slot to start my beetle;)

Reminds me of this. smile.png

Reminds me of this. smile.png

Da comrade:P

• Advertisement

My grey water tank has had it.

399202.JPG

Sprung a leak and replacement is 2 weeks away.
    Tape is holding the dam fine.

Guess soaking it in drain unblocker for a week at a time wasn't such a good idea. whistling.gif

I have another pic. on the way. Fixed my indicator relay with a €0.45 capacitor. I never took a photo because I wasn't expecting it to work. :D

Love this drill, bloomin' tired Ni-Cds were drivin' me crackt.
    I rebuilt one battery but this one lasts all day, never losses torque and goes faster if the sun hits the solar panel. :cool:

401230.JPG

402389.JPG

I can woodturn, carve, and cabinetmake with the best of them.

I,ve just spent 12 months re making panels, and welding a classic vw type 3, in restoring it.

But I couldn,t solder worth s.......t...

Whats the elusive black art secret I,m missing??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

:pac: I may be kadman's brother! Despite more than twenty years' practice, soldering just one wire onto a contact still turns into a swear-fest.

But seeing the 12V plug & cable there reminds me of a chilly day in February when the passenger window wound down (on request) as I arrived in Nîmes on a Sunday afternoon, then wouldn't wind back up. Obviously that was going to severely curtail my plans for leaving the 'van unattended for a few hours, so a solution had to be found. In the end, I took the trim off the door, ripped through the insulation and got access to the motor, then canabalised the plug/cable from my 12V compressor, took current from the cigarette lighter and fed it directly to the motor. Success!

Alas, I have no photos to show of that event ... but I think I've still got some that I took when I eventually found the cause of the problem: mouse-wee on the junction block between the relay and the motor. :confused:

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »

Whats the elusive black art secret I,m missing??

Same as they say about welding K. Practice.

402474.JPG

Mostly it's about heat transfer and conductivity. The iron plays a major part. I bought a series of cr@p irons lately and returned to my favourite. The Gascat is 60W equivalent which is kindov minimum to be useful. It's made by Weller and also sells under the Portasol brand. It has a throttle, the tank lasts an hour and the tips last a decade.

The idea is to pre solder your wire an connections heating the transfer point rather than burning insulation or your connecting element. I use leaded solder and ventilation because it's nicer to work. Having fresh solder on the tip of the iron helps immensely with thermal transfer as a bead of liquid channels heat better than a butted tip.
    Having old solder with burnt flux clinker hinders the transfer and the flow.

After tinning the wire and the connection hold them together and heat the solder between them until it flows and becomes a uniform fluid. Then take away the iron and let it cool. Blobbing solder onto a thing is a poor joint that will soon fail, too much heat and you melt the insulation, too much old solder on the tip will not have enough flux.

I hold wires in my hand and if I burn my finger I'm using too much heat.

Always need three hands.

I rather crimps and favour them where it's a choice. I've destructively tested both and it's marginal until you get to >4mm² cable then crimping is a more robust termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

Never be stuck

Fuel leak. Injector bleed off valve lost it's end cap. I lost about a gallon of diesel before I flagged it. Nothing worse than walking away from a parking space and seeing a trail of droplet stains on the road painting yer parking trajectory...:eek:
    406204.jpg

Closed End Rivet anna High Temp. Cable Tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

a magivor special
    never knew there was a high temp cable tie

HT Cable Ties

Also available in petrol/oil resistant (polyamide).

412144.jpg

Windy out Wild Today.

Indictators sitting down. :o
    446247.jpg

446248.gif

Chased this to the relay (first place I looked :P)

12V in, 9V Out...thar's yer problem!

448283.JPG

It's been raining inside.

Maybe I'll re-relocate that (who said fix the leak? Quiet in the back!)

All I need is a new relay but I haven't got one and it's not convenient get one.

448284.JPG

Switched conductors.

448285.JPG

There's marmalading something and then there's temporarily marmalading something.

448286.JPG

New Switch.

I have a spare switch but I'd rather ruin crimp terminals.

Advertisement