Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Tax - Post 2007

• 05-08-2016 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm a little confused as I';m being told different things about tax brackets/emissions.

I'm looking to buy a Merc C Class 1.8 and hear that late 2008 it is more expensive -0 about €650, But earlier that year and 2007 it can be €300.

Whats the general rule for tax legislation in terms of costing?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

If it's 07 it's not €300 for a years car tax,unless the engine is 1000-1100 cc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

sticker wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm a little confused as I';m being told different things about tax brackets/emissions.

I'm looking to buy a Merc C Class 1.8 and hear that late 2008 it is more expensive -0 about €650, But earlier that year and 2007 it can be €300.

Whats the general rule for tax legislation in terms of costing?

Thanks!

2008 and onwards tax is based on co2 emissions of your particular car. It rewards low co2 emissions and many diesels benifitted as a result, the one commonly referred to is the bmw 520d which dropped to about 280 (later versions lower again) from 710 for a 2 litre diesel.

It is probably the one change that resulted in nearly every car being sold being a diesel since then.

2007 and older is is based on the cc.
    On this merc 1.8 it would be approx 600 not sure of the exact number, 636 rings a bell for some reason. Definitely not 300 though.

I would guess the 1.8 petrol was close to 600/700 to tax post 08 too but not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

I looked it up for you
    Pre 08 €636
    Post 08 emissions 149-155 (depends on model)€390
    How much more is a w203 08 ,than a similar w203 07?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

bmwguy wrote: »
    2008 and onwards tax is based on co2 emissions of your particular car. It rewards low co2 emissions and many diesels benifitted as a result, the one commonly referred to is the bmw 520d which dropped to about 280 (later versions lower again) from 710 for a 2 litre diesel.

It is probably the one change that resulted in nearly every car being sold being a diesel since then.

2007 and older is is based on the cc.
    On this merc 1.8 it would be approx 600 not sure of the exact number, 636 rings a bell for some reason. Definitely not 300 though.

I would guess the 1.8 petrol was close to 600/700 to tax post 08 too but not sure.

Many thanks. O'm keen on thew Merc C Class of this year, a diesel might be the best route then I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Many thanks. O'm keen on thew Merc C Class of this year, a diesel might be the best route then I suppose.

Does your driving style suit or require/diesel or are you just considering one for the sake of the cheaper motor tax?

• Advertisement

I'm paying €630 at the moment on a 04 BMW 1.7

I want to move up a few years and save on the tax.

I would rpefer the petrol but a post earlier eluded it is cheaper on tax to go diesel?

First of all, check the exact tax on petrols and diesels that you want to buy. I can imagine there might be €200-300 a year savings on the diesel car to tax, but it will cost you more to buy in the first place, probably about 2000-3000 meaning you will have to keep the car for 10 years to make back the tax saving.

Diesel will get you better fuel economy on long runs with a warm engine, but on short runs not so much.

Diesel, on average, will be a more expensive car to service and things can go wrong.

Whats your average mileage per year at the moment??

Its not just about the annual tax, I agree its a pain to pay out but its only a small part of your decision.

bmwguy wrote: »
    First of all, check the exact tax on petrols and diesels that you want to buy. I can imagine there might be €200-300 a year savings on the diesel car to tax, but it will cost you more to buy in the first place, probably about 2000-3000 meaning you will have to keep the car for 10 years to make back the tax saving.

Diesel will get you better fuel economy on long runs with a warm engine, but on short runs not so much.

Diesel, on average, will be a more expensive car to service and things can go wrong.

Whats your average mileage per year at the moment??

Its not just about the annual tax, I agree its a pain to pay out but its only a small part of your decision.

Quite low mileage to be honest. I work from home...

I would prefer a petrol for the poke and non tractor hum of the engine (sorry diesel fans!) But seems a lot to be shelling out €650 per year.

Thats said its probably a catch 22 - I am looking for a 1.7+ car.

I would rpefer the petrol but a post earlier eluded it is cheaper on tax to go diesel?

It may be cheaper to tax a diesel but my point is do some maths around the overall cost of buying/running a petrol car over a diesel car, not just the headline saving of a few bob on motor tax. You also need to take into consideration your driving style and whether it is suited to diesel, work out what you think you will save and whether it is actually worth it. Don't base your buying decision solely on what is cheaper to tax as it can be the same as spending a pound to save a penny.

BTW diesel Mercs didn't really get lower emissions and cheap motor tax until around 2010/2011.

Quite low mileage to be honest. I work from home...

I would prefer a petrol for the poke and non tractor hum of the engine (sorry diesel fans!) But seems a lot to be shelling out €650 per year.

Thats said its probably a catch 22 - I am looking for a 1.7+ car.

I just did a bit of research for you, a c200 from 2008 will be €570 a year to tax. They drop to €390 for 09s but obviously prices go up a lot.

Everything else you have said suggests petrol, dont like the tractor noise etc.

A quick look on donedeal showed a c180 petrol for about 7.5k with low mileage, you will not got a comparable diesel for under 10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

changing to save on tax, makes sense to me if you are paying a lot of it, at E636 a year, it isn't that much and either is the €390 or €280 alternative rate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

have a jan 08 merc c 1.8 petrol = 636.

i have the impression that same engine might cost a bit more post july 08?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

If you have a particular car singled out put the registration number in to the motor tax link below and it will tell you the Tax Band the vehicle is registered to

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/menu.do?page=motortaxinforeg

As far as I recall the new rates only came in the Summer of 2008 so some 08 cars will still be on the old band while others will be on the new band.

Many thanks to all for the imput on this thread a really appreciated and give me a good insight into what to do next...

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Sorry to sidetrack the thread buy I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what bmw had a 1.7 engine in 2004?

Timmyr wrote: »
    Sorry to sidetrack the thread buy I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what bmw had a 1.7 engine in 2004?

I think it's the 316i. It's actually a 1796cc or something I think is being referred to, most would call it a 1.8. Can't think of anything else but I have seen some sellers say 1.7 on their ads, presumably because people are more attracted to a smaller engine for tax/insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

I'd rather have a cheap petrol with expensive tax rather than deal with the hassle of diesel particle filters and other diesel shenanigans.

I went to the dark side, it's not pretty.

Timmyr wrote: »

There was no 1.7 litre engine. 3 Series would have been 1.8 litre (316i) while the 1 Series would have been 1.6 litre (116i).

Advertisement