Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A big builder bill

Options
  • 05-08-2016 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We had a builder do some renovations on our house 18 months ago. We gave the job to this builder because they said they would do the job for between 5k and 6k. Nothing was in writing.

Half way through the work we paid him 3k. Now, having not seen him in 18 months, he turns up with an itemized bill for 14k. That is totally unacceptable. We had turned a blind eye to quality and poor communication because of the expected cost. Now we are angry and frustrated. Do we need a solicitor? Do we have a leg to stand on?

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

You should be very careful.

You say that there was a verbal agreement for €5k-€6k.

He says it's €14k.

This looks like trouble to me. I would be inclined to get legal advice. You can also ask about whether you need a quantity surveyor and/or an engineer.

I'm going to leave this thread open for the time being as long as no legal advice is sought or given.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Tefral

Id go speak to a Quantity Surveyor. Get him/her to price the work and if so engage a Solicitor afterward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Start off by getting an estimate of the value of the work done so far and the work required to finish. Get two or three estimates if you can. At least you'll know where you stand then. Solicitor will probably require something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod

I wonder if this is really a serious query. or just a spoof?
    The fact that you have opened a new account for this query speaks for itself
    If it is a genuine query you should consult a solicitor asap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Mmartin1

Update: I suspect a Quantity Surveyor would estimate higher than the 5-6k original quote.
    But if the builder made inaccurate estimates, and sold work on that basis, why should we be liable for the difference?
    It's a serious query, not a spoof.

Mmartin1 wrote: »
    But if the builder made inaccurate estimates, and sold work on that basis, why should we be liable for the difference?

In relation to real life scenarios, discussion of liability amounts to legal advice and is not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Update: I suspect a Quantity Surveyor would estimate higher than the 5-6k original quote.

That's a matter for your solicitor. If I remember correctly, there are occasions when a contract can be voided in such circumstances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Were you quoted or were you estimated?

In my field (accountancy) we sometimes quote, we will do this job for x and sometimes estimate, we charge x per hour of work done and your job should take y.

Anyway I'd say your non written agreement is worth the paper its written on ie nothing. If its worth agreeing its worth getting in writing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

On what was the job priced? Did an engineer/architect provide drawings?

• Advertisement

Thread closed pending moderator review.

Please allow a couple of days for review, so please hold off from sending PMs with enquiries in that regard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement