Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 204 - Manchester - Travel/Meet Ups/Fight Club etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Pretty sure 3am main card start has been confirmed

Edit: Yep its 3am main card start

http://www.manchester-arena.com/events/ufc-204-bisping-vs-henderson/3674/

Happy days, no hotel needed. FLight homes not till lunchtime so I'll have plenty of time to make my way back to airport. No point getting a hotel for 3/4 hours.

I've been looking at #204 on twitter. Fairly mixed response to the start time. I think its just whiny brits complaining though that its not fair on them :rolleyes:. If it wasn't a late start the UK wouldn't be getting a PPV card! Plus we're used to staying upto this time nearly every week to watch live anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

We are flying over Friday for the weekend, heard of a few people doing this.

Imagine thousands of British and Irish in Manchester the Saturday waiting until 3am for a main card to begin.

Will be pure carnage IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Devastator wrote: »
    I've been looking at #204 on twitter. Fairly mixed response to the start time. I think its just whiny brits complaining though that its not fair on them

I've had the same debate on Facebook.

UFC brings crappy weak cards for years, they complain about the quality.

UFC bring a fairly strong PPV card, (title fight plus at least 2 former contenders so far) and they complain about the start time.

The start time I the only reason they're getting the title fight but that doesn't seem to compute.

I'm flying into Liverpool on Saturday morning, flying back Sunday lunchtime.

No hotel needed. Happy days. Suits me fine.

DrPhilG wrote: »

UFC bring a fairly strong PPV card, (title fight plus at least 2 former contenders so far) and they complain about the start time.

The start time I the only reason they're getting the title fight but that doesn't seem to compute.

I always wonder if its just social media and do any(or most of) these people actually goto events or do they just like complaining and a bit of fauxrage. Maybe they're worried at 6am when they post their status update nobody will see it because their online friends are sleeping.

I'm delighted with the late start. Its going to be cheaper overall plus it will feel normal watching fights late at night. In the few events I've been to it has felt a little weird watching and drinking from 3/4pm and then its over by 11pm.

I hope they'll have coffee and redbull for sale in the MEN :pac:

edit - Bisping & Hendo will do a presser/Q&A before the 202 weigh ins on Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Train booked. In to Piccadilly at ~5pm Saturday. Return leaves at 8.05 Sunday morning. She won't even notice I'm gone! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'm delighted with the time. Cheap as chips assuming I get a ticket. The k ly minor worry is getting to the airport in time for 8am flight. But as the lads said previously it shouldn't be an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

DrPhilG wrote: »

Can you seriously not understand why people are complaining here??

callaway92 wrote:

Honestly. Would you prefer an earlier time and a sh*te card?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

I always wonder if its just social media and do any(or most of) these people actually goto events or do they just like complaining and a bit of fauxrage. Maybe they're worried at 6am when they post their status update nobody will see it because their online friends are sleeping.

I'm delighted with the late start. Its going to be cheaper overall plus it will feel normal watching fights late at night. In the few events I've been to it has felt a little weird watching and drinking from 3/4pm and then its over by 11pm.

I hope they'll have coffee and redbull for sale in the MEN :pac:

edit - Bisping & Hendo will do a presser/Q&A before the 202 weigh ins on Friday

Yeah delighted too,gonna invest money saved on not stumping for hotel into getting really good tickets. Given reaction to the start time do ye reckon there's a good chance we won't get completely fleeced on ticket prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Card doesn't do much for me really.

The only attraction is a belt being on the line.
    Not a fan of the start time either, it has to be that way for a numbered ppv event but being in the arena till 6am doesn't appeal to me.

Think I'll give it a miss.

callaway92 wrote: »

Not really.

I think that an overnight event is not a bad price to pay for a proper PPV quality card.

Is it ideal? No. Is it worth it to avoid Joe Stevenson vs Diego Sanchez quality main events, of course.

My point is the latest I'd be fairly sure that most of those complaining about the start time are the same ones who would moan about the card quality if it was a 5pm start.

Will the fighters mind it being on so late? It'll definitely have an effect on prep

theteal wrote: »
    Will the fighters mind it being on so late? It'll definitely have an effect on prep
    Well used to adapting to timezones.

Cant see it being a problem at all.

Take Bisping and Henderson for example, both coming form the US, will just train in the same timezones id imagine.

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Yeah delighted too,gonna invest money saved on not stumping for hotel into getting really good tickets. Given reaction to the start time do ye reckon there's a good chance we won't get completely fleeced on ticket prices?

LOL its a nice idea that they'll not fleece us but this is the UFC we're talking about :D

If anything I'd say it may just make it slightly easier to get tickets if people are genuinely put off by the start time, but I doubt it will effect ticket price. Who knows though, still 3/4 weeks before tickets go on sale, that gives them 3/4 weeks to consider whether the time will effect ticketsales.

I think I'll be reinvesting some of my hotel savings into a higher cat ticket. Has anyone checked their flights today to see how much they'll have saved booking early? Mines about £5 difference, not major but better in my pocket than Stavlos or whatever the easyjet blokes name is :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Would it not make more sense to make it slightly earlier as if it was one of the Eastern cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

LaGlisse wrote: »

LOL its a nice idea that they'll not fleece us but this is the UFC we're talking about :D

If anything I'd say it may just make it slightly easier to get tickets if people are genuinely put off by the start time, but I doubt it will effect ticket price. Who knows though, still 3/4 weeks before tickets go on sale, that gives them 3/4 weeks to consider whether the time will effect ticketsales.

I think I'll be reinvesting some of my hotel savings into a higher cat ticket. Has anyone checked their flights today to see how much they'll have saved booking early? Mines about 5 difference, not major but better in my pocket than Stavlos or whatever the easyjet blokes name is :pac:
    Mine have gone from 20e to 54e Ryanair.
    In hindsight I should have copied all others and got the early flight back instead of booking a hotel, but I'll enjoy a few hours kip :)

Honestly. Would you prefer an earlier time and a sh*te card?

Ah jaysis. . .pack it in, seriously. You know what I mean.
    The card back in Feb had the best of all time on it.

callaway92 wrote:
    Ah jaysis. . .pack it in, seriously. You know what I mean. The card back in Feb had the best of all time on it.

Pack what in? It was a genuine question. There was nothing on the line back in Feb really. Title fight to look forward to and what looks like a strong card so far. I'm happy with it. And the time suits in terms of flights etc. How bad.

Pack what in? It was a genuine question. There was nothing on the line back in Feb really. Title fight to look forward to and what looks like a strong card so far. I'm happy with it. And the time suits in terms of flights etc. How bad.

Bisping vs Anderson Silva or Bisping vs Henderson. Majority would choose the former over the latter.

Titles don't mean a thing anymore.. .

• Advertisement

To be honest I've never witnessed a title fight live before so if I get a ticket it'll be a first for me. I expect the rest of the card to be stronger than the Feb card. I guess the time suits me for travel etc so different strokes i suppose.

This isn't the first late card in Europe and the Swedish one didn't do too badly with a 30,000 sell out, for a fight night, with a pretty shallow card. This will sell out too so don't anyone feel forced into going. It's not ideal but it's all about the money.

There will be plenty from Europe going with the £ as weak as it is and a good main and (presumably) co-main, not to mention all the Brits and Poles/Brazilians etc living there. Just need a bit of depth with the likes of Gunnar, Ngannou, MVP & Krylov

With this being so late is there any chance I could avoid paying for the fight club or will we still need to get fightclub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

With this being so late is there any chance I could avoid paying for the fight club or will we still need to get fightclub?

It'll sell out regardless, I'd say you could get tickets in the news letter sale but I wouldn't be hoping on it.

ASOT wrote: »
    It'll sell out regardless, I'd say you could get tickets in the news letter sale but I wouldn't be hoping on it.

Ah I think I am going quarters with a couple of guys from on here anyway but was just curious. Can't freaking wait, title fight and close to home :D I have been a UFC fan for a long time but I was just never in a financial position to go to an event. Even when UFC came to Ireland a few times I didn't have the money to get to Dublin from Waterford and buy tickets but now situations have changed and I can finally afford to go :D:D I am going to enjoy the sh!t out of this event.

I genuinely can't get over how stupid the time of the event is... And also how many people seem to be fine with it. Mindboggling

I genuinely can't get over how stupid the time of the event is... And also how many people seem to be fine with it. Mindboggling

Sure better to have it on at that time and be in Manchester which is close than to be on at that time and to be in Vegas which would cost a bomb to get to.

Sure better to have it on at that time and be in Manchester which is close than to be on at that time and to be in Vegas which would cost a bomb to get to.

I wouldn't go to this event in Vegas

I wouldn't go to this event in Vegas

True :pac:

I am just saying its nice to have a PPV close to Ireland and the card might develop nicely over the next few weeks. The timing is actually perfect for people who want to just fly over, watch the fight and then fly home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I actually prefer it.

Afternoon flight meaning a good sleep on Friday. Arrive in Manchester late afternoon, on the sauce all day, watch the event and literally straight back to the airport afterwards. We will be back in Dublin for 9am.

No messing around with hotels etc. It's great IMO.

Paully D wrote: »
    I actually prefer it.

Afternoon flight meaning a good sleep on Friday. Arrive in Manchester late afternoon, on the sauce all day, watch the event and literally straight back to the airport afterwards. We will be back in Dublin for 9am.

No messing around with hotels etc. It's great IMO.

I'll be back in bed in less that 24 hours it's unreal.

Any official fan pub yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

Ah I think I am going quarters with a couple of guys from on here anyway but was just curious. Can't freaking wait, title fight and close to home I have been a UFC fan for a long time but I was just never in a financial position to go to an event. Even when UFC came to Ireland a few times I didn't have the money to get to Dublin from Waterford and buy tickets but now situations have changed and I can finally afford to go I am going to enjoy the sh!t out of this event.

Ah I think I am going quarters with a couple of guys from on here anyway but was just curious. Can't freaking wait, title fight and close to home I have been a UFC fan for a long time but I was just never in a financial position to go to an event. Even when UFC came to Ireland a few times I didn't have the money to get to Dublin from Waterford and buy tickets but now situations have changed and I can finally afford to go I am going to enjoy the sh!t out of this event.

Do you need anyone to jump in on a fc membership?

bigmc23 wrote: »
    Do you need anyone to jump in on a fc membership?

I am not the one orgnaizing it but I'll ask if they need one more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It's not ideal but I genuinely can't understand people complaining about it we don't get events of this magnitude close by otherwise like people have said .

Was UFC138 the last numbered event in Europe? People weren't exactly leaping out of their seats with the bouts announced for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not sure what the outrage is over the start time. We all knew it even before it was announced. To tell you the truth, I could care less. Only difference from the norm is that I'll be there in person staying up til the usual time until its conclusion.

Well, another difference is that it'd be like going for a long walk before I eventually get to sleep. :pac:

I'd say there'll be a lot of people who end up asleep before the main card kicks off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'd say there'll be a lot of people who end up asleep before the main card kicks off though.

It will get very, very messy in the arena I'd imagine.

Yep I'd imagine there's a few with the same plan as ourselves hitting the boozer for the day, it'll be great for me anyway I can't wait, Im back from benidorm on the Thursday so it'll be a nice recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I expect security to be tight given the fact that people can be out gargling all day beforehand.

I wouldn't say a lot would kick off but then again... we all saw what happened at BAMMA the first time they were over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I am not the one orgnaizing it but I'll ask if they need one more

You'll have 4-5 now anyway but if its limited to 6 I'll throw my name in the hat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Does anyone know what time they usually go on sale for the fight club members? Is it midnight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think it's 10am local time

Edit: Yeah just saw this on fightclub:
    Most pre-sales begin at 10:00 AM local venue time, but this can vary.

It's a pain in the ass is what it is.

I'll be in work so I'll have to engineer an excuse to be at a computer with no interruptions.

For the 189 presale I think I took a half day from work as the tickets were out at 4pm or something.

I was just looking at signing up to fightclub. I knew it was €75. Then I changed address to the UK and it's looking for €13.50 shipping costs. I don't want the tat that they're flogging, just the early access to ticket sales. Anyway to avoid this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

It is complete tat, but unfortunately no way of subbing without it.

The tshirt is reasonably decent quality at least :pac:

maximoose wrote: »
    It is complete tat, but unfortunately no way of subbing without it.

The tshirt is reasonably decent quality at least :pac:

Thanks. Feckers. First and last time they're getting any money directly from me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

theteal wrote: »
    Thanks. Feckers. First and last time they're getting any money directly from me.

55878701.jpg

Khabib v Barboza rumoured for this.

Imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Yeah Khabib confirmed fake.

Ah well.

John Kav dong q and a on Twitter and when asked will he go to 204 he answers that he hopes to be in Manchester working ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement