Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

61cm head - helmet suggestions?

Options
  • 05-08-2016 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I've never ridden with a helmet before but thinking I might get one. I know there's plenty of arguments against wearing one (drivers tend to drive closer to you if you're wearing one etc), but thinking it might be good to have one just incase. The problem is, I think me noggin is on the larger side and any time I've put anyone elses head gear on, I've always needed to loosen it :o I measured there and the circumference is 61cm at it's longest point (slightly angled up from the back of the head to the front).

I'd like something that's not too bulky and it doesn't need to be super light and super aerodynamic as I'm just a casual cyclist. I don't want my head to look like a mushroom either and prepared to spend a little extra for something nice but not €50 extra per gram of weight saved :)

I've read that helmets can cause even more damage than a naked head if the fit isn't right so I'd want to make sure I'm getting the right size. Do they generally just come in S/M/L or would I need a more accurate fit to ensure optimal safety? I don't know anything about how to ensure optimal fit so maybe buying blind online without testing isn't ideal?

I was checking some other threads and saw recommendations for Giro and Met?

This doesn't look so bad: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013DQMLAE/ref=s9_simh_gw_g200_i4_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-6&pf_rd_r=5VGN0XFP6H0DEBFM6F7Z&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=c6eda34d-0edd-4e41-934b-1a9ae4c15500&pf_rd_i=desktop

Or this one: http://www.met-helmets.com/en/products/road/rivale little more pricey for my size: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019HKZGFW/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Although they still look kinda bulky to me? Maybe I'm being too hopeful I'd get anything less bulky than either of them though?

Any feedback would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I would suggest going to the shop and trying few first. See which one fits and looks best on your head. I was fixed on kask protone and ended up with something entirely different that fit my head best.

If you dont want to spend a day visiting bike shops you can buy few helmets online and return the ones you dont like. German shops such as bike24 or bike-discount offer free returns.

I got my helmet from merlin cycles and saved good €60 comparing to the price in the bike shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

ive a big head as well... KASK all the way! even my wife made me wear one cos Giro and the likes are massive on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just had a look at the kask and it looks similar enough to the Giro/Met ones, but still kinda bulky, am I being too optimistic that you can get a decent level of protection in something less bulky than these?

omri, what did you get instead after trying the kask on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I have a 58cm head and went with a kask mojito, really like them and not too bulky. The adjustment at the back makes it fit very well.

I tend to loosen it all the way to get it on and then tighten it up when its in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

As a fellow well endowed male in the cranium department, I can recommend the Giro Foray...plenty of room and adjustment system is good.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/helmets/giro-foray-helmet-review

Currently £39 on Wiggle in a variety of colours for the discerning gentleman with more brains to protect - Large (59cm-63cm)

http://www.wiggle.com/giro-foray-helmet/

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Just had a look at the kask and it looks similar enough to the Giro/Met ones, but still kinda bulky, am I being too optimistic that you can get a decent level of protection in something less bulky than these?

omri, what did you get instead after trying the kask on?

I got an Abus Tec-Tactical Pro v.2 in the Bora-Argon 18 team version. I tried good few helmets before I bumped into that one purely by chance. So I looked at Giro (they make me look like a mushroom) including the air attack shield - which is nice but again too bulky, I tried Kask Mojito and Protone (at the time they didnt have Protone in Large available anywhere - so I held off with the purchase for few months just to try it). I tried few Specialized helmets in cycle surgery in dun drum, some of their lower end were pretty decent. Didn't have much luck with Lazer, Casco or POC. Again the LBS never seem to stock the higher end models and if they do then in the size too small.

I did a good bit of the research before I went ahead with the Abus and they were generally ok, but not super great as with Kask. However when I got the helmet I didnt find any issues that were described in the reviews. So guess you have to take it all with a pinch of salt.

My old helmet was some model of Limar and I had it for 5 or 6 years. In terms of sizing the Limar was max size of 59cm (so medium I think) and I had to adjust the mechanism to make it a bit tighter. All other brands I tried recently I had to go with 59-61 size as the medium sized I found that the shell was too small to fit on my head in the first place, or at least very tight and would not be comfortable in the long run.

I also bought the Abus In-Vizz Ascent on bike-discount @ €125 and really liked it. The visor is great, it slides up - so you cant drop it etc, but its bit more bulky at the front and I couldnt justify having two new helmets so returned it for free.

My advice would be to try the helmets first. Rather than believe in marketing and slogans like "kask/giro all the way". If you're the lucky one and these big brands will fit then happy days if you're not then it's trial and error. I think helmets are a bit like saddles - you just need to find the right one. I was disappointed with how the kask fit me (and I really waited long to buy it and really wanted to buy it) but then spending €90 on sale comparing to €200 and getting a good fit changed my mind :)

P.S. the other helmet I was considering was Kask Vertigo 2.0 - it was pretty nice and fit was ok-ish but not as good as the Abus.

They seem to dropped the price by €10 since I got mine - currently on merlin at €80

If you anywhere near and want to call over to have a look just send me PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I find Bell helmets are far and away the best fit for my big head!
    As somebody suggested - you really need to try a few on to get a feel for what works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Graham1882

I had the same problem and picked up a helmet in Aldi which was adjustable, it is the best fit I have had in a helmet so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

I've had a Specialized Echelon- Large for years. The large is marked 57-63cm and is comfortable on my 60cm head.

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've got a Troy-Lee Design 'A1' helmet for my noggin which is in the same size bracket around the 60cm mark. I did flirt briefly with a Met helmet too (the name of which escapes me now) which felt comfortable. Neither were sleek, aerodynamic roaddie numbers however light they were so your mileage & taste may vary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Darando

If out Dundrum way see if Cycle Surgery have any large to try on as a test and they will price match any shop once same model...even if on sale ...(quick Google/Wiggle/CRC etc...to get best price ;) )

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions folks. I might pop into Cycle Surgery if I'm driving by and see what they have and if they can price match a quick search on wiggle or amazon.

Are any of these helmets good for anything other than protecting the crown of the head? I've heard some arguments against helmets saying they are only good for crown protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Hi Cormie,

I have a large helmet for sale. It's labelled 59-63 cm.

http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057613307

I'm in Dublin 6 if you're interested.

JJJJR

Thanks for the offer, I had a try of a few helmets today around Dublin and I may have measured my head wrong for this, kind of diagonally to get 61cm. The mediums 55-59's I tried seemed to fit fine.

My favourites so far have been:

Giro Foray
    Giro Atmos 2
    Kask Mojito

I didn't come across any MET or ABUS helmets to try so might hold off deciding until I have a fit of these too. Would anyone know anywhere that stocks them?

Also, is MIPS worth the extra few quid? Considering this will hopefully be my helmet for the next 10 or more years, an extra €30 or so for what could protect my head a bit better would of course be worth it.

Thanks for the offer, I had a try of a few helmets today around Dublin and I may have measured my head wrong for this, kind of diagonally to get 61cm. The mediums 55-59's I tried seemed to fit fine.

My favourites so far have been:

Giro Foray
    Giro Atmos 2
    Kask Mojito

I didn't come across any MET or ABUS helmets to try so might hold off deciding until I have a fit of these too. Would anyone know anywhere that stocks them?

Also, is MIPS worth the extra few quid? Considering this will hopefully be my helmet for the next 10 or more years, an extra €30 or so for what could protect my head a bit better would of course be worth it.

Don't know much about mips, don't have it but if it makes you feel safer and you have cash to spare then sure why not. Base2race has a decent selection of helmets incl. Abus (I've seen few of them in Mikes bikes in Dun Laoghaire too). There is 40% off on specialized helmets in cycle surgery at the moment. Manufacturers/shops recommend changing helmets every 3 years - they claim that the material is degrading and possibly their long term sales projections too...

If you have deep credit card then Bike24 has huge selection of helmets. You can order 10 different models and keep the one that fits best. Free return and you'll be refunded within a week. You can try the helmets in your own home without any rush or nagging sales personnel. On or off the bike with your various cycling outfits and so on :)

Omri, thanks a lot you've been very helpful with this. I think that might be a sales initiative with the 3 years, I can't see the materials degrading so much, it's not like car tyres, couldn't imagine it changing the degree of impact much?

Might check Base2Race and Mikes Bikes too :)

Good idea about bike24 but not sure I'll go through all that :D

Omri, thanks a lot you've been very helpful with this. I think that might be a sales initiative with the 3 years, I can't see the materials degrading so much, it's not like car tyres, couldn't imagine it changing the degree of impact much?

Might check Base2Race and Mikes Bikes too :)

Good idea about bike24 but not sure I'll go through all that :D

Base2race is your best bet, they have at least 5 different brands if not more. But pricey.

So I heard ;) thanks again!

I was checking bike24 and see that Hovding airbag helmet is actually available to buy now! I saw videos of it a few years ago and thought it never took off. The safety/impact rates of it seem impressive, but €300+ for a one time use and you can never be sure it's going to work for definite and the fact it might go off from a simple fall where your head was never in danger anyway, is a little offputting.

It said in it's video the risk of serious head injury wearing a traditional helmet is 90% and only 2% with the Hovding which is impressive if true, but I'm a bit shocked that a traditional helmet only decreases risk by 10%.

EDIT: Just saw this video which makes it look somewhat intelligent as to when it deploys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikYFfxpu3I0

I was checking bike24 and see that Hovding airbag helmet is actually available to buy now! I saw videos of it a few years ago and thought it never took off. The safety/impact rates of it seem impressive, but €300+ for a one time use and you can never be sure it's going to work for definite and the fact it might go off from a simple fall where your head was never in danger anyway, is a little offputting.

It said in it's video the risk of serious head injury wearing a traditional helmet is 90% and only 2% with the Hovding which is impressive if true, but I'm a bit shocked that a traditional helmet only decreases risk by 10%.

EDIT: Just saw this video which makes it look somewhat intelligent as to when it deploys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikYFfxpu3I0

There is good few videos on their website, so you might want to check that too. I was looking at this and will consider it when my wife gets her bike. Expensive but true fashionista won't mind. The safety aspects are just a bonus :)

• Advertisement

I think it's great myself and would hugely consider it if it could be reused or you could buy some refill gas rather than it being one use only. I can't remember the last time I fell off my bike anyway, about 13 years ago I think, so again, 300 over 13 years ain't so bad and if and when I do need it, if it's going to mean my head will be at a 2% risk of serious injury instead of 90%, it's in my eyes not so bad?

I think it's great myself and would hugely consider it if it could be reused or you could buy some refill gas rather than it being one use only. I can't remember the last time I fell off my bike anyway, about 13 years ago I think, so again, 300 over 13 years ain't so bad and if and when I do need it, if it's going to mean my head will be at a 2% risk of serious injury instead of 90%, it's in my eyes not so bad?

If you spend €200 on Kask and crash hard chances are the helmet will have to be scrapped. However I believe some of these brand offer 50% off the replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

For what it's worth, I have a big bounce and recently got a Kask Mojito in Large and find it very comfortable. Particularly like the rest adjustment and comfortable faux leather chinstrap. Definitely seems lower profile than my previous helmet which was a Giro Monza.

Had another try of a few and I've narrowed it down:

Zerorh ZY Mips: https://www.zerorh.com/en/zy-mips_unisex_mattblackarrowshinywhitered_EHX6070-03-L-to-XL.html
    or
    https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=160575;menu=1000,5,70

Giro Foray Mips: https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=148163;menu=1000,5,70

I also liked the Giro Atmos and the Kask Mojito, but neither have mips, also the ZERorh ZY without mips I've found much cheaper.

I think the ZeroRH ZY might be the nicest fit I've tried, but it's kinda pricey at the same time.

I never got to try any MET ones, didn't see them stocked anywhere ;( Tried a few abus but not the one mentioned above and they weren't a good fit for me.

I think the ZeroRH ZY might be the nicest fit I've tried, but it's kinda pricey at the same time.

Ah cmon treat yourself! Plus you cant put a price on safety and good looks.

Haha, I might get both and compare to eachother and send one back :)

I've never heard of zerorh+ though and no mention of it being recommended anywhere either, not that I heard of Giro or Kask before looking into helmets, but I found them after seeing recommendations for them on forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Not sure I like the mullet effect down the back of the head and neck. Aesthetically speaking like.

Of which? The Hovding or one of the other helmets I linked to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

This fella.

160575_01_c.jpg

• Advertisement

Oh wow, haha, I think that's just a terribly angled shot, it definitely looks like a mullet and looks horrible there, but it's not actually like that.

You can see it better here, it's on the first guy they show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GUamoTMZi8

I just don't see many reviews or info on this helmet at all so not sure how good it actually is, I wasn't able to try each next to eachother as they were in different shops. Maybe I'll just go foray and save my dollars :D

Advertisement