Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Problem or Laptop problem??

• 05-08-2016 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

Hello
    Make this as short as possible
    Have a Vodafone R216 portable Wifi device in the house
    Recently(last 2 -3 weeks) Laptop and Sky box have been having great trouble staying connected to the device
    Mobile phones in the house and Wifi printer very seldom lose the signal
    Laptop is running Windows 10 for last 12-18 months so not a recent update from 8 to 10
    Vodafone app on phone frequently shows H or H+ so signal is good(?)
    Changed channels on the device a few times and Laptop twigged on for a short while.Does it take more to run Laptop and Sky box than phones?
    Changed SIM card in device with no improvement
    Could the R216 be faulty?
    I trouble shoot from laptop and it says "Ethernet adapter not working properly" or "problem with wireless adaptor or access point"
    or it will sometimes suggest turning it off and on again
    Any help would be most appreciated
    Steve

Edit.Just like to add I changed band from 2.4Hz to 5Hz but nothing would connect then...and as I didn't know how to get them to connect I had to change it back

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Are you in a housing estate or apartment block? If so then it's possible your wireless signal is picking up interference from neighbours using the same 2.4GHz channel.

On either the laptop or phones get an app like inSSIDer and see what other wireless networks are there and what channels they are operating on. Hopefully either channel 1, 6 or 11 will be clear and if it is, set the R216 to that channel.

If you are still having problems and power-cycling doesn't fix it, then it's likely the R216 is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Are you in a housing estate or apartment block? If so then it's possible your wireless signal is picking up interference from neighbours using the same 2.4GHz channel.

On either the laptop or phones get an app like inSSIDer and see what other wireless networks are there and what channels they are operating on. Hopefully either channel 1, 6 or 11 will be clear and if it is, set the R216 to that channel.

If you are still having problems and power-cycling doesn't fix it, then it's likely the R216 is faulty.

Thanks
    Not in an Apartment or estate but in the country.However,there is another house across the road from me.
    When I click on the internet logo in the task bar it shows my Vodafone Internet and also an Eircom one which I would guess would be their internet
    This isn't a new addition though as I have seen it on my list for quite a while.
    Maybe I should try 5Ghz again.Should phones and Laptop automatically find the 5Ghz signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Steve F wrote: »
    Thanks
    Not in an Apartment or estate but in the country.However,there is another house across the road from me.
    When I click on the internet logo in the task bar it shows my Vodafone Internet and also an Eircom one which I would guess would be their internet
    This isn't a new addition though as I have seen it on my list for quite a while.
    Maybe I should try 5Ghz again.Should phones and Laptop automatically find the 5Ghz signal?

Older devices will probably not see 5GHz signal.

Use inSSIDer and see if the channels are clashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Older devices will probably not see 5GHz signal.

Use inSSIDer and see if the channels are clashing.

There was a clash between our wifi and their Eircom one

I moved ours to channel 3 and theirs is on 11.As far as I could tell the signal didn't drop all weekend and the speed is good too.So it looks like it was interference just like you said.
    Thanks very much for your help :)
    Steve

Advertisement