Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms with student prices

Options
  • 05-08-2016 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, Im starting up in NUIG and will be traveling in and out by so will have spare time between classes, have you any recommendations with decent prices, I think the Kingfisher will be a bit outside my price range :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What is your price range? Kingfisher is specifically for students.
    Can you travel across town for a gym? If not, what areas are you looking in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,611 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Galway City Gym is €275, Planet Health & Fitness is €250 (not a student rate - for everyone). I'm not sure what the Warehouse would be but give them a call.

Just saw now that the Kingfisher GMIT student membership is €250 and €199 for a term-time (9-month) membership.

Don't think you'll do a whole lot better than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Planet Health & Fitness do yearly student rates also, can't recall the exact figure, close to 200 I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Just saw now that the Kingfisher GMIT student membership is €250 and €199 for a term-time (9-month) membership.

Any chance you could link that please, thats a good deal. To the others I dont have the option to drive

• Advertisement

Charizard wrote: »
    Any chance you could link that please, thats a good deal. To the others I dont have the option to drive

https://www.facebook.com/KingfisherClubRenmore/home

It was posted on August 3rd so it'll be there with a picture of GMIT on it.

I'd advise checking it out at a time you'll be using it though because from what I've heard of it, it can be busy.

If you ring Warehouse Gym and check out what their student rate is and if it's any way good and cycling is an option, The Warehouse would be a better gym and less crowded.

I just rang them, they said its 25 for year and they have got rid of term one

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭carrick76

The Warehouse gym is €225 for 9 months for students I think.

There are two Kingfisher gyms in Galway, the one with the offer of €199 for 9 months is beside GMIT. OP was looking at Kingfisher in NUIG I think.

Planet Health and Fitness is probably only one close enough to NUIG. The GMIT Kingfisher and Warehouse are 2-3miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You could always study in between classes, and use the gym back home ...

You could always study in between classes, and use the gym back home ...

Its more that I travel in and out so will be going in early 7AM leaving late so home 7PM so will have time and when I get home I want to be with the wife and child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Well doesnt the logical thing seem to be, to join the kingfisher gym in nuig? Seeing as its on campus you can go before class, or if you have a few hours off in between class.

Hardly takes a a gaggle of boardsies to forumlate that plan.

empacher wrote: »
    Well doesnt the logical thing seem to be, to join the kingfisher gym in nuig? Seeing as its on campus you can go before class, or if you have a few hours off in between class.

Hardly takes a a gaggle of boardsies to forumlate that plan.

I heard the fees were 500 euros, hence why I didnt think of them. Since its not as much, yes its the obvious choice

Just read some reviews about Kingfisher and thats its pretty meh and always super busy with a lot of waiting times for every piece of equipment, anyone know if this is still the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I never thought it was worth it, it's oversubscribed and always pretty busy. Planet is only across the bridge, that'd have my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Just read some reviews about Kingfisher and thats its pretty meh and always super busy with a lot of waiting times for every piece of equipment, anyone know if this is still the case?

Depends on when you go to be honest. During the day there is a steady stream of people in there but from 5/6-7/8 in the evening it can get pretty busy. Early mornings it's pretty quiet. Between 2-4pm everday is the public hours (€8 a visit afaik) so can get busier around then. Friday, Saturday & Sunday tend to be the quietest days in there.

I heard the fees were 500 euros, hence why I didnt think of them. Since its not as much, yes its the obvious choice

There will be a Student rate, probably around 250 euro. No way they are charging students 500 euro.

Surprised they are charging students at all, in UCC the gym (which is a facility similar to kingfisher NUIG) is free for all students*

*technically the fee for the gym is included in registration fees but there is no opt out so the registration fee is the same regardless if you use the gym or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

As OP said they will be heading in for 7 AM, NUIG kingfisher is never busy that early and would be well suited to OP

Anyone complaining that it's busy is most likely going at peak times and even then there's lots of equipment, and for €250 you have access to the pool too which is a steal!

As OP said they will be heading in for 7 AM, NUIG kingfisher is never busy that early and would be well suited to OP

Anyone complaining that it's busy is most likely going at peak times and even then there's lots of equipment, and for €250 you have access to the pool too which is a steal!

Well heading in at 7am so be there around 8.30, like you said it has the pool for 500 so Ill likely sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Well heading in at 7am so be there around 8.30, like you said it has the pool for 500 so Ill likely sign up

Im starting in nuig in september as a mature student. I'm going in that early every morning so thats my plan if ive any lecteures on at 10am, squeeze in a gym session and breakfast.

empacher wrote: »

Im starting in nuig in september as a mature student. I'm going in that early every morning so thats my plan if ive any lecteures on at 10am, squeeze in a gym session and breakfast.

So we pretty much have the exact same plan :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement