Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Memberships for 2017

Options
  • 05-08-2016 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi All,

I'm 19 originally from the sticks but starting college in Dublin this September. I am a keen golfer playing off 5 at the minute and do not want my golf game to suffer as a result of my move. I will be living in Clontarf for the foreseeable future, with college and plans to work in Dublin for the summer. I have shortlisted a few golf clubs that I am considering joining and I am just looking for an input of boards members as I have little knowledge of the golf clubs.

The clubs I have shortlisted are as follows:

Clontarf
    St Annes
    Corrstown
    Hollywood Lakes
    Portmarnock Links
    Forrest Little
    Hollystown

I have played all of the courses but have not really looked into how friendly the membership is, practice facilities or reputation etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

What college are you going to? UCD, DCU, and Trinity college golf societies all have (or at least had) affiliation with clubs up in Dublin namely Portmarnock and Royal Dublin so if you're going to one of these yo may be able to avail of membership in one of these. As far as I remember the numbers that got in were restricted but worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 libra33

What college are you going to? UCD, DCU, and Trinity college golf societies all have (or at least had) affiliation with clubs up in Dublin namely Portmarnock and Royal Dublin so if you're going to one of these yo may be able to avail of membership in one of these. As far as I remember the numbers that got in were restricted but worth checking out.

I'm heading to Trinity. I have spoken to a few people already in Trinity about this. They usually offer ten memberships in both Portmarnock and Royal Dublin. However, the catch is that you are expected to give a high level of commitment to training and playing. To be honest I won't have time to fulfill these expectations. Most of my work is done on the course due to time restrictions with work and college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

will you be using public transport or have a car?

Also which course would you prefer to join, I.e. which one did you enjoy the most out of that list.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    will you be using public transport or have a car?

Also which course would you prefer to join, I.e. which one did you enjoy the most out of that list.

Yes I have a car. Personally enjoyed Corrstown the most, thought the course was immaculate. I really want to test my game though, so at the moment I am swaying towards St Anne's as I have played 99% of my golf until now on parkland courses. I think to develop to the next level a links course would be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Hi OP
    Something tells me off that handicap, you wont have many problems finding a club....

• Advertisement

Dbu wrote: »
    Hi OP
    Something tells me off that handicap, you wont have many problems finding a club....

Finding a club isn't really the problem, it is just to try and get a good testing golf course to sharpen my game instead of travelling home each weekend to play at my home course.

Advertisement