Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EGR Valve - query

• 05-08-2016 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Folks

I am driving a VW Golf 1.6 and only the other day paid for a full service on the car. The car was flying - got full service done because it had reached the stated mileage.

The following day the coil light appeared on the car - I had never seen this light before and the car went into limp mode. It went off again having turned off engine. Anyway I went back to the garage and they stated the EGR valve needs replacing.

Couple of questions:

1) I'm been quoted €620 for a new ERG valve and labour. The mechanic said they cannot do it any cheaper - they are making very little on it.
    2) Is there any chance the service activated this problem?

I know very little about cars and I'd just be interested to hear from others that are familiar with such a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

In 1.6 TDI the EGR is integrated with part of the manifold and the exhaust gases cooler. Hence the hefty price.

€620 for parts and labour is not that bad. Actually it is a very good price I would say... Garage seem to be honest when saying they are not making any on this job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Toshiba24 wrote: »
    Folks

Couple of questions:

1) I'm been quoted €620 for a new ERG valve and labour. The mechanic said they cannot do it any cheaper - they are making very little on it.
    2) Is there any chance the service activated this problem?

I know very little about cars and I'd just be interested to hear from others that are familiar with such a problem.

Can't see how a regular service would kill your EGR.

Definitely worth finding a mate with a scanner and checking the codes yourself though..

If it is an EGR it might be cheaper just to blank it off...

I'm not familiar with VW's though so may not be that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Toshiba24

Thanks for reply lads.

Guy I know suggested buying a second hand part via gateway.com.

Think I'm just gonna roll with the €620 quote - kills me paying this amount of money for some stupid fault - apparently it's a common problem in these 1.6 VW engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

From what I've heard on here that seems like good price. Designed to cost more to replace but still only a smidgen of the money you've saved by going diesel if it's any consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DarrenC7

Probably too late but have you enquired about goodwill from VW as it's a common fault? If you have a service history with a main dealer you may be able to get them to pay for the part and you'll have to foot the bill for the labour. Still expensive (just paid €450 for labour) as I understand it's in a really awkward location, but you'll get a guarantee from the main dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom Hagen

grogi wrote: »
    In 1.6 TDI the EGR is integrated with part of the manifold and the exhaust gases cooler. Hence the hefty price.

€620 for parts and labour is not that bad. Actually it is a very good price I would say... Garage seem to be honest when saying they are not making any on this job.

losing power on my bmw 520d auto on cold start. would egr valve be my problem? had heater plugs done already no change. i understood that the coil symbol is heater glow plugs :confused:

Advertisement