Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthing Stool?

Options
  • 05-08-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping someone may be able to help me. Have searched but couldn't find a previous thread on this.

My wife and I are due our second later this year. For our first, (in Holles St) my wife used one of their birthing stools and found it great. We're having our second in the Rotunda and apparently they don't have birthing stools so we're looking to try and get hold of one that we can bring with us.

Anybody have any luck in tracking one down at a reasonable price? I've found a German Co who sell them (but they're over €2k which isn't happening) and UK companies which will rent them (UK only obviously) but nothing useful for us so far.

Surely there must be some sort of demand here?

Edit - this is the front runner so far (from Canada). Looks to be approx €210 delivered. http://www.kayabirth.com but it's a bit different to what we used in Holles St so am a little wary of pulling the trigger just yet.

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

My midwife brought her travelling one with her to my homebirth, which we didn't end up using. It was all made of wood, very much like this one:

birthstool1.jpg

I wonder if you could approach a local furniture marker/carpenter about getting one made specially? It might cost the same or less but would keep money in the local economy. It could be a beautiful keepsake too!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

My midwife brought her travelling one with her to my homebirth, which we didn't end up using. It was all made of wood, very much like this one:

birthstool1.jpg

I wonder if you could approach a local furniture marker/carpenter about getting one made specially? It might cost the same or less but would keep money in the local economy. It could be a beautiful keepsake too!

Thanks for that.. I've just emailed a place in Swords that does custom furniture. Be interesting to see what they come back with.

The one we used before was very similar to the one in that pic except it had a bit of cushioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

http://www.cub-support.com/

There's this CUB one that few of my doula friends have bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Thanks January. Could be the new front-runner. Expensive for what is essentially a blow up chair though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They are expensive, do you think she'd definitely use it? Could she achieve the same with a birthing ball and possibly a peanut ball? Obviously, I'm not talking about birthing in a sitting position with a birth ball etc but she could achieve lots of different positions without the birthing stool. I reckon if you did get it you could sell it on pretty easily though too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

A bit of googling suggests a shower stool can be used to perform a similar job.

Maybe something like this:
    http://www.beechfieldhealthcare.ie/Products/Cowley-Shower-Stool__121PU.aspx

Advertisement