Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unique places?

Options
  • 05-08-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

In galway ireland 3 days.we have done a lot of landscape sightseeing already. Any suggestions on unique restaurants/bars/city sites?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Mbtd85 wrote: »
    In galway ireland 3 days.we have done a lot of landscape sightseeing already. Any suggestions on unique restaurants/bars/city sites?

Jump off the Blackrock diving board in Salthill near high tide.

You will not regret it.

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/calendar/month/2085.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The Crane Bar is worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Forthill cemetery.

St Augustine's well.

Food tour: http://www.galwayfoodtours.com/

Padraig Connaire's birthbplace - AKA Dock 1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Free walking tour of the city, leaves from the Skeff in Eyre Square a cupla times a day. Salt House, Beermats and Neachtains for pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Lunch or dinner in Kai, just down the road is The Crane for a trad session.
    For something a little different you could do the Corrib Princess cruise up the river as far as Lough corrib and back, starts from Woodquay.
    I did it a couple of weeks ago and found it enjoyable - granted we had a scorching hot day which helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Beermats

?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

On Saturday mornings there's a nice market around St. Nicholas church just off Shop Street, stalls selling food, art and crafts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Jumping off Blackrock tower is a must, followed by a 99 on the Prom. The Saturday morning market is cool too.

If you're heading west, Omey island (a tidal island) is a cool place to spend a few hours, provided you've times the tide right of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

?

Damn autocorrect, bierhaus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

St Nicholas church in city centre has traditional music concerts most nights- listen to the music, speak to the musicians, there's usually a dancer there too and a tour it the church in the break. http://http://www.tunesinthechurch.com/galway.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ard Bia is a nice restaurant with a slightly unique sort of feel. It's located at the Spanish Arch ,an historical Galway site beloved of locals for chilling out at on sunny evenings. Before dinner or after or you can stroll along the water's edge, watch some swans, and take in the ambience. You have a view across to the Claddagh that gives the Claddagh Ring it's name. It's a short walk across and there are nice swans there too. That whole area has that nice "zing" in the air you get where there's fast moving water rushing out to the sea. On sunny evenings it's usually teaming with life.
    The museum is located at the Spanish Arch too, you could start in there and find out why these areas are of historical significance.

An Cupan Tae is a nice cafe, it's not far from there, it's all walking distance from the town centre.

In Salthill you can walk the prom but there's also the Atlantaquarium. I've never been so I don't know how great it is. There's a nice cafe with sea views though.
    There's also O'Connor's Famous Pub in Salthil that's always a big hit with tourists.

There's The Roisin Dubh too which might be Galway's most famous pub, it's worth a trip. Easy walking distance from other local favourite haunts too like The Crane for trad music if you're into that. I'm not, but I've still enjoyed visits there because there's a good lively atmosphere.

There's a Michellan star restaurant called Aniar if you feel like spending big.

There's the Cathederal which is a beautiful building and nice and peaceful. Nuig has some nice buildings if you feel like rambling there too.

I definitely recommend St Nicholas Church too for a tour. If you come Saturday get down to that area around 9 and there's a great market with things to buy and street foods to sample as well just the local character.

Oh and... the triple chocolate mousse cake in Goya's cafe is by far the nicest chocolate cake I've had in my life, lots of Galway ppl get it for their birthday and it's worth the whole aging process just for a slice. It's a bit of a landmark for me, I'd recommend a trip there for that cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If you like books then go to Charlie Byrnes bookshop - it's in the Cornstore near the Dail bar and Augustinian church. I could spend hours browsing in there, new and second hand books, Irish section, gorgeous children's department (stories at 11am Saturday) and pleasant staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Make a daytrip to one of the Aran Islands (maybe not Inis Meain).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ficheall wrote: »
    Make a daytrip to one of the Aran Islands (maybe not Inis Meain).
    Cén fáth?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

snubbleste wrote: »
    Cén fáth?

Aon leictreachas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Aon leictreachas.
    That makes it an even more unique place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Aon leictreachas.

What does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What does this mean?

Well my Irish stops at ceol agus craic (and I don't even know where to put the fadas) ... but I'll take a wild guess and say "no electricity!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Aon leictreachas.

I have read that as "leithreas" right through the last few posts.
    I should definitely be asleep. :)

Leithreas means "toilet" to the uninitiated and is probably the one Irish word every child is confident of it after years of training.

Advertisement