Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating a leather saddle

Options
  • 05-08-2016 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi folks!
    I recently bought a New Hudson vintage bike with a Wrights leather saddle (Wrights was taken over by Brooks in the 40's i think)
    Does any one have any tips, without breaking the bank, on how to restore some life to old dried leather saddles?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Try Brooks Proofide leather cream. Most bicycle shops stock it. The tub seems small but it goes a long way. I have the same one for 3 or 4 years.

http://www.wiggle.com/brooks-england-proofide-40g-tub/

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Neatsfoot Compound - an oily liquid, available from Equestrian / Saddlery shops.
    I restore those old saddles and found this to be the best stuff out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

+1 on Neatsfoot. It is a must have in every Equestian establishment . I have restored a few brooks but also come from an Equestrian backround
    The best way to apply is actually to the underside of the leather much more absorbent.You will be surprised how much it will soak up
    We would have always been told to never oil the smooth side of the leather as it will mark your breeches or jodhpurs.

If you see a small jar of Goose Grease in your local supermarket grab it. A small bit rubbed into the top surface will keep it Waterproof and put a shine it.

Any pics of the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ciaranhuz

Thanks Esroh! the goose fat is a great tip!
    I can't seem to post a picture, links etc, i think i need to have 25 posts or more to be allowed to attach photos etc according to the administrator.
    The bike itself is in a bit of bad shape, it's pretty rusty, so i'll have to strip it down and treat the rust and paint it up again. The saddle, surprisingly is in fairly ok nic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

ciaranhuz wrote: »
    Thanks Esroh! the goose fat is a great tip!
    I can't seem to post a picture, links etc, i think i need to have 25 posts or more to be allowed to attach photos etc according to the administrator.
    The bike itself is in a bit of bad shape, it's pretty rusty, so i'll have to strip it down and treat the rust and paint it up again. The saddle, surprisingly is in fairly ok nic!

The quality of the leather makes such a difference. The saddle would have been top quality hide from traditional breeds back when it was made.

Re stripping it. If you can get it sandblasted its best. Having done 3 last year I did the first by hand with paint stripper and sanding and it is good but the 2 I got sand blasted are better. I got my local headstone guys to do it.

Advertisement